Any Eggplant Lovers Out There? If So What Are Your Favorite Recipes?

Hi Marge,
Just leaving Cincinnati, having been to the Indy 500, in fact sitting the airport flying back to NYC…
Last night tried Skyline Chili over spaghetti… Was not my favorite, and was lucky they have a small porting…I know everyone in Cincy loves this stuff…am I missing something?

Phreddy, I checked out the Skyline recipe and it’s different than mine. I like the kick of vinegar in mine. More than that I learned to enjoy it by combining the beans with it which tones down the intensity. Again, I don’t love it on spaghetti but sop up juices with Italian bread. Here’s my recipe that was a great hit with my son’s bike team:
½ lb Ground round
1 large can of kidney beans, drained
3 1/2 c Chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
1 Stick cinnamon
4 cl Garlic, minced
3/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
2 ts Ground cinnamon
2 cn Whole tomatoes, undrained & -chopped (14.5 oz ea)
2 ts Paprika
1 ts Chili powder
1 ts Ground cumin
1/2 ts Ground allspice
1/2 ts Dried whole marjoram
2 T honey
2 T white vinegar
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 cups beef stock
36 Oyster crackers
4 1/2 c Hot cooked spaghetti
3/4 c Shredded cheddar

Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium- high heat until hot.
Add 2 cups onion, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper; cook until meat is browned, stirring to crumble.
Add ground cinnamon, tomatoes, beans, paprika, chili powder, cumin, allspice, marjoram, honey, vinegar and chocolate.
Simmer, uncovered 20 minutes.
To serve, arrange spaghetti on individual serving plates. Spoon chili over spaghetti, top with cheese and remaining 1 1/2 cups onions.

Serve with crackers

1 Like

Will mention here with regards to the Cincinnati Chili. JOC - made it one time only, not a good recipe IMO.

Marge’s recipe however, looks way good. Glad she posted, may give it another whirl.

1 Like

Huh. I was just at Wegmans in Massachusetts and stumbled upon canned Skyline chili while looking at baked beans. I didn’t buy it because it was twice the price of other brands of canned chili. I make basic chili from scratch and have never tried Cincy style. Not sure I’d like it. But maybe I’ll try a can just to get an idea. I didn’t realize Skyline is a big name!

1 Like

Check out Gold Star chili which I think is original and was packet that romanced me. If I get excited I need to research history. I think this original and how I based my recipe. With cinnamon in recipe I theorized Middle Eastern. Plus there is 3 way and 4 way? Who challenged my quest? James Michener who took me on culinary history of so many cultures!

I am making this Eggplant with Feta tonight. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/feb/06/yotam-ottolenghis-recipes-for-valentines-day-burnt-aubergine-feta-prawns-vanilla-butter-papaya-pickle-chocolate-coffee-tahini-mousse

3 Likes

My husband makes this Lidia B recipe for Baked Eggplant with onions and tomatoes

He does use canned tomatoes and will start the bottom with thin sliced potatoes to give it a little more body. One of our favorites.

4 Likes

When i make moussaka i also start with a layer of potstoes. My favorite eggplant recipes are moussaka & melitzanasalat.

3 Likes

Hit the nail on the head. Most times I make lamb, there’s eggplant on the side. Olive oil and eggplant seem to harmonize especially well. Like you, I love it grilled, too.

2 Likes

Here is a recipe you might enjoy.

2 Likes

Iman biyildi. Stuffed eggplant, olive oil, olive oil, olive oil. Serve it warm, or room temp. I have no idea if my attempt was “authentic” but it was tasty. I also do moussaka; no potatoes, just eggplant. I love eggplant …

5 Likes

I like my eggplant steamed and dressed with a soy sauce, minced garlic and rice vinegar dressing. And garnished with a few red pepper flakes.

6 Likes
1 Like

This looks intriguing! How did it turn out, and would you make it again?

We loved it. Would make it again.

Good to hear, thanks!

There used to be an Asian fusion restaurant near us that made a lamb & eggplant that was spicy & delicious
Alas they closed & i have no clue as to the recipe.

Have you looked online? There are dozens of recipes out there.

1 Like

This looks good https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/crispy-cumin-lamb-with-aubergine-and-ginger

1 Like

TBF, this website is… online. And this is a food site, so I think it might be a good place to ask fellow cooks / food lovers.

2 Likes