Anthony Bourdain - dead at 61

That’s not really established. The followup article has more details.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5821039/Anthony-Bourdain-died-suicide-age-61.html

Just because somebody is on good terms with their ex doesn’t mean they’ve gotten back with their ex.
Anyway this is all horribly sad.

1 Like

Very, very, very long day. Found out this morning early and just got to where I could post.

RIP Anthony, you gave me lots to think about and made me smile a lot, and I will always remember you for it.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t have any comment but I thought maybe you people remember when AB and the former president shared a meal of Bun Cha in Hanoi.

The table where the pair sat and ate, complete with dinner set and empty beer bottles, was later encased in glass and placed on display at the restaurant.

“The customers love it, many take photos next to the table,” Ms Nga told the BBC earlier this year, adding: “For us, it is a nice memory that we will cherish forever.”

6 Likes

Does anyone remember when he was a frequent judge on Top Chef? His comments were so witty - loved him as a judge.

6 Likes

My friends and I in Penang are doing an “Anthony Bourdain trail” in memory of his No Reservations Season 8 Episode 8 on Penang. Tonite, we did the wantan noodles spot, where Tony had his first meal on arrival in Penang.

He was a wonderful human being, and the world is a poorer place without him.

12 Likes

“His dining was less about the menu and more about Bourdain’s approach to it. He used food, that most diverse of human unifiers, to teach us about each other and to question power and scrutinize injustice. We all eat, and we all prepare meals differently, each dish a story that can explain something about a community, what it provides (or does not), and how certain ingredients come to end all mixed up on a nation’s plate. Food is nourishment, it is comfort, it is identity, tradition, history and memory. In preparing a dish for Bourdain, what many of the people on his show also seemed to be saying was, “This is who I am, and I want to share it with you.””

And…

"The Lebanese capital, he said, was a place he fell in love with, so much so he considered naming his daughter Beirut. It was a city “where nothing made any damn sense at all — in the best possible way,” he wrote. “You should go there. It defies logic. It defies expectations. It is amazing.”

So, too, were you, Anthony Bourdain, and your way of looking at the world. A chef who embraced difference in an increasingly intolerant world. A man who viewed Beirut — and all the many other places too often oversimplified, marginalized and demonized — on their own terms."

Need to talk with someone?
In the US, National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
In the UK and ROI:
Samaritans UK & ROI
National
Contact by: Face to Face - Phone - Letter: - E-mail:
Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 90 90 (UK - local rate)
Hotline: +44 (0) 8457 90 91 92 (UK minicom)
Hotline: 1850 60 90 90 (ROI - local rate)
Hotline: 1850 60 90 91 (ROI minicom)
E-mail Helpline: jo@samaritans.org

3 Likes

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/06/10/618443853/anthony-bourdain-serving-up-inclusion

One of the more befitting and down to earth stories I have read so far.

All the celeb blitz, expected gossip and twittér madness typically needs days to simmer before stories like this can begin.

4 Likes

That was perfect, Dan - thank you.

My favorite was in the Miami season when he said that Brian Malarkey’s lobster had the texture of doll head. The line about “what kind of crack house are you running here?” (to Colicchio) is from this episode too but the doll head comment was so unexpected, and so perfectly descriptive.

3 Likes

Well everybody is going to jump on me again for expressing a contrary opinion, but here goes.

Bourdain has looked like death warmed over for the last couple of years on his TV shows, which themselves have become extremely repetitive.

He was also a former heroin addict, a questionably reformed chain smoker, and probably an alcoholic.

He was a so so chef. Les Halles. the resto he used to cook at, went broke in 2017. But he hadn’t burnt a steak there in years.

He was, however, an extremely gifted writer. Kitchen Confidential was a great book.

Unfortunately he got side tracked into television, which with a show like his involves a lot of pressure to keep things going.

As a result his show devolved into celebs drinking, and sometimes eating, with Anthony. He jumped the shark with Obama in the Vietnamese noodle house. In the end, I found his shows tedious and repetitive.

He had a failed marriage in 2016 with a $ 4.5 million NYC apartment in the balance.

If you read between the lines there, it’s not the 250 days on the road, it’s what (or who) he was doing on the road that broke things up.

And he had a huge business venture, Bourdain Market at Pier 57, that failed in December.

Finally he gave an interview in Vogue in 2016 where he said we should all go hang ourselves in the shower if Bourdain Market failed, which is pretty much what he did.

Bouncing around all those time zones is also extremely unhealthy.

So it looks like the dude had serious problems and had been self medicating for years.

What surprises me is that his life style did not catch up with him sooner.

4 Likes

i felt so sad and sick at the news. he was the adventurer i wanted to be. he was the embodiment of who i wanted in my own life. i’m deeply sorry that he experienced that much pain that this was his solution. anyway, i miss him. sending many many thanks to him.

6 Likes
5 Likes

The Wifeacita brought up one from season three when the Miami contestants went to NYC and it was CJ (did I mention a hundred times I have one testicle) made a lobster dish I believe that Bourdain said had the texture of “doll head.”

Doll head!!

1 Like

That was striking; thank you.

1 Like

Mike Rowe is another amazing writer, so I wasn’t surprised to see this on Facebook earlier. They are very similar - looking at the person and how to help them.

5 Likes

I was/am extremely fond of Anthony Boudain but definitely agree with a lot you have said. I actually had a similar discussion with my mother on the phone this morning about his death.

I think what I find most sad is the façade that most of us with depression put on despite the pain inside. Anthony had a seemly perfect job- traveling the world and dining but yet he must have felt a void.

Thank you, Anthony, for opening up the world for many and encouraging us to eat well, regardless of where we are. You and your wit will certainly be missed.

6 Likes

I swear that last show on Food should have called “the Hangover” rather than “the Layover”.

2 Likes

Why are you even involved in a,comment of his life. I am sure you did not know him personally.

Good sum-up. He’s been stretching himself in different directions for years. Something’s gotta give eventually. Sad.

2 Likes