American substitute for Passata

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

Saw this in Whole Foods (Union Square, Manhattan) today, in case you need more at some point.

Thanks! I looked in Whole Foods but couldn’t find it. I was in a rush so I asked staff for help. No one knew what I meant by “strained/pureed/crushed tomatoes in a box/jar”. We ran around the whole store and then I ran out of time. Do you remember the price?

I did see a can of fake San Marzano tomatoes which freaked me out. It read San Marzano but contained U.S. tomatoes.

Also, a follow up on Cento-brand San Marzano tomatoes. They were very open about their process. They steam peel the tomatoes, can, and then cook after canning.

I don’t, sorry. But I do know where it was - the end cap of the pasta/canned tomato
aisle. I’ve never noticed this product in Whole Foods before, so it might be new, or new-ish.

Just checked Amazon, and it costs the freakin’ earth there. I’ll note the price next time I’m at Whole Foods.

If buying at volume, the price for this Yellow Barn passata isn’t too bad. $8.5/ bottle on Amazon for 6 bottles, versus $7/ bottle at Whole Foods.

I have been searching, mostly in vain, for great canned, bottled or aseptic packed tomato products. I’ve bought literally hundreds of tomato products, whole peeled, crushed, puree This Cento SanMarzano Passata is the best tomato product I’ve ever tasted. It’s not widely distributed but can be found. I think they also make a non San Marzano Passata that I’ve never tried, so buyer beware.

The Bionaturae brand I posted a picture of above is very good and affordable. It’s just $3/bottle at a local Baltimore chain called MOM’s. On sale, they sometimes have it for $2 and believe me I buy it all.

I tried Yellow Barn, but it wasn’t so much better I could justify the price tag.

I can’t quite find Bionaturae around me. I found a 6 pack on Amazon though its more expensive pricier than what you can get offline.

https://www.amazon.com/Bionaturae-Tomatoes-Strained-24-Ounce-Pack/dp/B001HTI24E

Here is a link to an article on the Italian community in Australia where many families still do “tomato day” to make fresh passata for the rest of the year.

It seems the sauce is heated to sterilise it before being sealed in the jars. I wonder if uncooked versions actually last that long (maybe the acid in the fruit preserves them).

San Marzano is a variety of tomato. They grow very well in California’s soil and Mediterranean climate.

Also, be aware that many tomatoes imported from Italy may contain San Marzano tomatoes, but are not D.O.C., which are grown in Sarno.

2 Likes

Not knowledgable in this area and products selling in US, but come across this article.

The comments are more informed than the article. I don’t think the author is sure what a San Marzano tomato actually is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Saw the Mutti Passata at a NorCal Cost Plus World Market today. $2.99 each. Looks like they ship but not sure how much is the shipping.

I bought Mutti a while ago, they are selling in can format here. Like it a lot (brought out the sweetness of summer tomatoes). Will see if they have in glass jar too.