American-style meatloaf

I didn’t grow up with meatloaf, but definitely meatballs made with a panade and which always had some sambal badjak thrown in. I love that and have been fussing because it is so hard to find in any of the shops in UK (other sambals, yes, this one seems to be really for the Low Countries). I need to order or learn to make it. Sorry, now I’m forgetting about the meatballs and just thinking about how much I need sambal badjak. Maybe I should go to that condiments thread.

3 Likes

Me! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t4: A dude gave me this most perfect meatloaf recipe.

Ground Beef, Pork, Sautéed Onions & Garlic, Eggs, Milk, Worcestershire Sauce, Hot Sauce, Fresh Thyme, Italian Breadcrumbs, Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Glaze: Ketchup, Tomato Paste, Brown Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Hoisin + Red Chili Sauce.

I think what gives this meatloaf a nice, crispy, caramelized outside and very moist inside is a few simple things - milk, yes, but also it’s baked on a sheet pan not a loaf pan or Pyrex… and there’s the basting of the glaze! :yum: The Hoisin & Chili Sauce I added to the mix myself based on a tip from another Onion.

11 Likes

No.

4 Likes

To each his own, but when your loaf is only half meat, then it’s no longer meatloaf. Its only half a loaf or maybe half baked. 🥸

My meatloaf puts the emphasis on the first word, and meat from an animal not plants. Made meat loaf from all sorts of creatures but never sea cucumbers. Not sure I would like that as I am not a fan of the texture. Venison on the other hand is incredible.

1 Like

That sure is a nice-looking crust on that loaf!

4 Likes

We all know we should eat less red meat, for ecological and humane reasons. I think what you consider “half-baked” tastes just as good or better than the meat-heavy version, and as a bonus, is healthier and more economical.

1 Like

Your meatloaf looks more divine than mine, but I’m still perfecting my recipe to reduce carbs and minimize/eliminate the starchy binders/thickeners (currently experimenting with replacing the cracker crumbs with crushed pork rinds). I’m most intrigued by your side of greens – I see mushrooms and…are those turnip greens? Is that some rhubarb in there? Please do share!

My meatloaf recipe is based on my Mother’s recipe, which in turn is loosely based on the “Meat Loaf, Method II” from the 1953 revision of the 4th Edition of The Joy of Cooking (my favorite* Joy), aka “Beef Loaf II” from the 3rd Editions. What I like about this recipe is the amount of vegetables added to the loaf in my and Joy’s versions along with the economical flavor achieved by saving and utilizing leftover vegetable liquids:

StrongOxMan’s Mother’s Meatloaf
Grind in a food processor 1½ large green bell peppers and 1 large onion. Drain 1 14½ oz can of diced tomatoes (Hunts diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano), reserving the tomato juice, and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground vegetables and combine (mix by hand) with:

• 2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp crushed rosemary
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ¹⁄₈ tsp paprika
  • 1 C crushed (Ritz) cracker crumbs

Shape into a loaf and dredge with flour. Cover the loaf with 5–6 slices of bacon and bake in a 350°F oven until reaching an internal temperature of 160°F (≈ 60–90 min), basting frequently with a mixture of:

• reserved Tomato Juice
  • Ketchup (Heinz), to taste (≈ ½ C)
  • BBQ sauce, to taste (≈ ½ C)

Let rest before slicing and serving.

Mother always baked her meatloaf uncovered in her vintage 10"x10"x2" Corning Ware “Spice of Life” (!!) casserole
Use your favorite general-purpose BBQ sauce; Mother used to use Bull’s-Eye Original when it was HFCS-free

StrongOxMan’s Meatloaf
Modifications to the above method, as noted:

Meatloaf
Mixed by hand to thoroughly combine in a very large mixing bowl:

• 3lbs 73%/27% lean ground beef (Kroger/Ralphs, comes in a tube)
  • 2 14½ oz cans of diced tomatoes (Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Medium Green Chilies), reserving remaining liquid for sauce
  • 4 bell peppers, 1 of each color (green, red, orange, yellow), processed, reserving remaining liquid for sauce
  • 1 large yellow onion, processed, reserving remaining liquid for sauce
  • Fresh basil, processed, liberal to taste
  • Fresh rosemary, processed, liberal to taste
  • Fresh oregano, processed, liberal to taste
  • Ground smoked paprika, liberal to taste
  • Garlic powder, liberal to taste
  • 4 sleeves (Ritz) crackers (120 crackers/1 box), crushed
  • Freshly-ground peppercorns (rainbow blend) and pink Himalayan sea salt, seasoned to taste

Sauce
Whisking to combine:

• Reserved veggie liquids
  • 2 8.5oz bottles Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce
  • 1 6oz can Contadina Roma Tomato Paste
  • ≈ 10 oz Heinz SIMPLY Tomato Ketchup (≈ ⅓ of a large, 31-oz bottle)

Shape into a loaf and dredge with flour. Using an X-Large (128 oz) rectangular plastic food storage container or 2 Large (64 oz) deep-dish containers, tightly pack-in the well-combined meatloaf mixture (as much as can fit). Invert the packed loaf mixture onto a large metal roasting pan and cover the top and sides of the loaf with strips of thin-sliced Bacon (streaky, American style, as many as can fit, ≈1 lb), width-wise, so when sliced each slice will be topped by a single strip of bacon. Spoon sauce over panned loaf, reserving ¼ for occasional basting, and bake uncovered at 350°F oven until reaching an internal temperature of 160°F (≈ 80-90+ min). Let rest before slicing and serving.

Served with roasted vegetables:

Finished picture of a smaller, “accessory” meatloaf made from what did not fit into the shaping container of the initial, primary meatloaf:
Meatloaf (small)

*The 4th Edition of Joy was first released in 1951, corrected for its 1952 printing and further revised/corrected for 1953 and onward until the 5th Edition debuted a decade later. The 4th Edition is largely an expansion of the incredibly popular 3rd Editions (1943/1946) that enjoyed near-ubiquity in American kitchens during that era, and it is the first edition to contain the series’ trademark line-drawing illustrations by Ginnie Hoffman and information on recently-introduced appliances like the electric blender and home freezers. I grew up on the 3rd Editions of Joy (Grandmother’s copy was Wartime printing, Mother’s the Postwar revision – they are nearly the same, with the 1943 “Wartime Rationing” section replaced with summarized information from Rombauer’s 1939 Streamlined Cooking and a section on “Quick Method Cakes” among other minor additions; the 4th Edition is my favorite because it contains nearly all the 3rd Editions’ content I was raised on and more.

8 Likes

I have used pork rinds for years in meat loaf until I recently began experimenting with different combinations of vegetable fillers and mixing techniques. I now grind a raw onion with about 1/4 of the beef I intend to use (typically 2-3 lbs), then add a couple of eggs and some ricotta cheese to the food processor and grind it all together until it forms a paste. I work this mixture into the remainder of my meat along with any other seasonings plus some finely chopped, sautéed cabbage, garlic and peppers. The cabbage is key because it adds moisture without really altering the flavor, but the real magic is the meat and egg mixture, which does a great job of binding the meatloaf without carbs.

4 Likes

Zucchini is good for this too. Important to wring it out and saute it though - or it will release more liquid later and make the meatloaf fall apart.

4 Likes

Interesting meatloaf recipes @strongoxman, @biondanonima and @Saregama! I’m thinking the use of vegetables & juices are not only good for moisture but also good for sneaking veggies into kids! :wink: Most interesting is puréeing a portion of the ground beef with the other ingredients @biondanonima. Must try!

@strongoxman - my sides are Sautéed Swiss Chard & Mushroom Medley and Mashed Potatoes w/TPSTOB.

I always refer to my Betty Crocker cookbook when making meatloaf. Tried and true .

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with this abbreviation??

I use cabbage, but not precooked. Shred, freeze, thaw, drain. Bye bye water.

I use finely diced mushrooms…sauteed until they release the liquid.

Especially good with Turkey meatballs and meatloaf, as the Turkey tends to be dry and benefits from the umami.

3 Likes

The proverbial shit ton of butter, haha

4 Likes

This acronym was coined by @mariacarmen long ago on the WFD thread. Way easier to punch out on your phone than typing it all out as “The Proverbial Shit Ton of Butter” (& Sour Cream, if that’s been added). :smiley:

8 Likes

*Can be adopted to fit any culinary situation. The Proverbial Shit-Ton of Bacon, for instance.

7 Likes

I don’t know of anyone who would call those three sauce “gravy”.

40 posts were split to a new topic: The Joy of Cooking - Squirrel

Ok, that settles it.

I’m putting squirrel in my next meatloaf.

5 Likes