American Food

On this side of the border, American means you guys. No Canadians call themselves American unless they have dual citizenship.

Canadians are North Americans - in the same way Italians or Germans are Europeans.

North American includes us, Mexico, the Caribbean and you guys.

Food of the Americas includes food from both South America and the North America, and I take that term to mean pre-Columbian foods.

But take that s off, and the meaning changes.Food of America is American :us: food. Food of North America is broader. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yeah, I get it.
And South Americans? Central Americans?
I wonder how many of “us guys” , compared to groups in other countries, feel more hyphenated than not.

Whoa! Caribbean?

Always an interesting discussion!

3 Likes

Maybe some people who have roots there can give their 2 cents.

I know that people can be touchy about Latin American vs Central American vs South American.

3 Likes

In the USA, we tend to think of the people from Guatemala as Latin American. The Mayans think of them as Europeans.

(post deleted by author)

“We”?

5 Likes

Sorry folks. I need a nap.

5 Likes

If it’s cheese from a Trader Joe’s, or Safeway-type of store, it often isn’t cheese.
Potato starch, cellulose, and natamycin (“mold-inhibtor”) often make an appearance.

It’s all about the shelf-life, innit. Food, begone.

It is.

But a definition of “French”, “Maltese”, “Croatian” or “British” comes easily to me. I generally try to use “North American”, unless I want to make a distinction from “Canadian”. But, I suspect most Britons (me included) will generally think of “American” as meaning the USA as, indeed, the thread title implies,as do most most responses to the thread.

4 Likes

I appreciate what you’re trying to get at but the politics of indigeneity in the Americas is a bit more complicated, especially in creating a distinction between Mayans and Guatemalans. There is use in recognising the ways indigenous groups across the Americans do not confirm always to the borders imposed by colonisation but this distinction also risks further absenting people of Mayan descent from participation in an operating nation state. And creating a clear line between indigenous and criollo (those descended from the European colonisers) communities erases mestizaje existence.

So yes, but as always, things are a bit complicated,

No need to respond. This might really be taking us OT.

4 Likes

It’s why I love Spanish for estadounidense.

1 Like

All hail McEnnedy Foods for showing us the American Way:

2 Likes

I think they may be on to something with the Mac & Cheese flavored chips.

If it’s a processed cheese food found north of USA border, it is called processed cheese, not American cheese.

If you see Canadians in the UK or anywhere else wearing little maple flags tacked onto their backpacks or lapels, it’s because they want to be clear that they are not Americans.

It’s similar mindset to how the Austrians feel when they’re taken for Germans, or NZ feel when they’re taken for Australians.

It’s not quite the same as English vs Scottish vs Welsh vs N I, but the feeling of being mistaken for a bigger bolder neighbour who has more power and more money might be similar.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Some Canadians have bought into a rumour that they’ll be treated better abroad if locals don’t think they’re Americans. I haven’t found that to be the case. I find there is some silent hostility to English speakers in general when travelling to non-English speaking countries, so I tend to keep my English language chatter down, learn a few words of the local language if I can , be polite and not talk too much about where I come from. :joy: Some countries’ taxi drivers seem to tack on a tax for people who speak English in their taxis, so keeping your mouth shut and hiding your English speaking country of residence to the best of your ability can be the cheaper way to travel! :joy:

3 Likes

I recently read a comment that Canadians are unarmed Americans with health care. Discuss. :grinning:

By the by, in the years before regional English accents became more widely known in North America, from TV programmes, it was not unusual to be asked by Americans if I was a New Zealander. And once by a Canadian if I was Scottish. FWIW, my Mancunian accent is nothing like a Scottish or Kiwi one.

3 Likes

Wait, I have health insurance and no guns. Am I Canadian? I do like maple syrup.

8 Likes

I have a hard time telling the difference between South Africans, New Zealanders and Australians sometimes.

I also upset my friend’s dad when I told him he sounded like a Beatle. He was from Manchester, not Liverpool. :grinning:

Most Canadians, unless they have British relatives- probably won’t detect the differences between Scottish and Mancunian accents. Many have trouble telling the difference between Irish and Scottish accents, as well.

1 Like

I suspect that “upset” may have been an understatement. LOL. Our two cities, only 35 miles apart, have had rivalry for a couple of centuries. It was such that, to avoid having to trade with Liverpool merchants, Manchester merchants paid for the Manchester Ship Canal to be built. It meant ships could sail direct to Manchester avoiding the Port of Liverpool. That was at the time when there were "Manchester Men " and “Liverpool Gentlemen”. Now the rivalry is pretty much restricted to football - although supporters of both Scouse and both Manc teams agree that we hate Leeds and most London clubs.

On the other side of the accent coin, I used to be a volunteer at our local hospital, working on the “meet & greet” information desk. One day, guy comes in asking for directions. Very distinctive accent, I thought. Which part of Canada are you from, I ask, expecting a comment about my prowess in spotting his accent. I’m American, he replies.

3 Likes

:joy:
Good to know the background.
I’ve watched 2 Amazon shows in the past week that were heavy on the Liverpool connection, after watching all the Vera with her Newcastle environs and I should really balance them out with some Mancunian detective shows.

2 Likes