American Food

After listening to an interview, I ordered this book of Amish/soul food fusion recipes. This deserves to become a new tradition. Amish foodways add sweet & sour elements to recognizably Southern specialties.
Screenshot_20230421-175828_kindlephoto-1686412

6 Likes

So many and many. Southern BBQ definitely is very American. Fried chicken I suppose. I do not disagree what an important role hamburgers are to America, but burgers are also everywhere. I am surprised that they list hamburger and cheesehamburger as two items. Just so many wonderful foods on the list.

2 Likes

So many! Oysters Rockefeller, seafood pan roasts, chicken fried steak with cream gravy. Recipes using Coca Cola, ubiquitous in the south - Coca Cola Ham, cake, ribs, etc. Peanut butter & jelly, peanut butter cookies, pumpkin pies, breads, cakes. 1000 Island DressingShrimp & crab Louie salads. Just a few that come to mind.
The Cajun stuff, Creole influences to make uniquely American foods, Navajo tacos, fry bread, New Mexican cuisine as well. Chuck wagon style foods for hungry cowboys lol.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s really cool :sunglasses:
2 food cultures I never imagined together.

2 Likes

For what it worth, when I first heard about chicken and waffle, I did not understand why these two are together. (almost like M&Ms on Grilled Salmon) Now, they seem natural.

2 Likes

He was on Top Chef.

Top Chef Chris Scott of Butterfunk.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never been to an Olive Garden. However, from looking at their menus on line, the corporate entity that is Olive Garden across many states has nothing in common with American diner food, which is almost always family-owned small restaurants, that serve standard ā€œAmericanā€ food with local additions that can include Portuguese, Spanish, Brazil, Colombia, Mexican, Basque, Native American, French Quebec/Louisiana, German, Polish, Czech, Russian, African, Central American, Indian, Greek, Ashkenazi Jewish, Italian, Middle Eastern, Albanian, Asian, ā€¦Iā€™m leaving out a lot here.

A local breakfast/lunch place we visit often in Somerville a few blocks from Boston, incorporates Greek, Middle Eastern, and Portuguese elements along with eggs, bacon, pancakes, hamburgers, among others. Youā€™ll see a different mix in different American regions, depending on which countries are represented among local immigrants recently and historically. We also have a small restaurant that serves excellent Sicilian American food, and lots of other not as great ethnic restaurants serving Irish and generic North European food.

Itā€™s always been fun to me when visiting other US regions to find those hole-in-the-wall restaurants/diners that have incorporated foods from immigrant groups than are not as common here in Boston. Or in North Carolina, where I grew up.

7 Likes

The Greek diner with the menu thatā€™s 27 pages.

5 Likes

My favorite!!

The issue people have with American food is that so much of it is imported. But I donā€™t think that matters one bit. Almost all food is imported in one way or another. We think of ramen as Japanese food but the Japanese consider it Chinese food.

On and on you will see examples like this all over the world. If itā€™s commonly consumed in America itā€™s American food, even if itā€™s also another countryā€™s food, like pizza. No one gets a monopoly on food ownership.

6 Likes

Ainā€™t nothing more 'merican than a root beer float. Unless itā€™s barbecue washed down with a root beer float.

7 Likes

If you were in North Carolina, it would be barbecue with Cheerwine or Pepsi, both created in NC. Root beer sounds too much like ā€œbeerā€ for NC, or did when I was growing up there in 1960s and 1970s. Oh wait, thereā€™s ā€œwineā€ in Cheerwineā€¦never mind. Dr. Pepper and Coca-Cola were also created in the south.

And in NC during those years, there was so much sugar in the iced tea that was served to everyone, including children, at every meal except breakfast, and in every season, there was no need to add ice cream to the drink accompanying the meal. Sometimes we did combine SunDrop, a soft drink developed elsewhere in the south, with orange sherbet for dessert, however.

5 Likes

When my cousins (not Southerners) and I (not a Southerner) would visit our grandparents in the South, we made sure to put enough sugar in our iced tea that the spoon would stand up in the glass. Or we tried to.

Today, I drink my iced tea unsweetened.

But I always looked forward to Dr Pepper. We didnā€™t have it up north.

5 Likes

You miss my point. People all over the world drink Pepsi (I have never even seen Cheerwine, let alone tried it), but I donā€™t know any non-American that drinks root beer.

Me neither. But there must be a goodly number who do - my normal supermarket stocks it

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/soda-folk-root-beer-4x330ml

3 Likes

I live in regional Japan (Shizuoka now and before in Tokushima) and all the stores which carry intā€™l food & drink (not restaurants/bars) sell A&W or Dadā€™s Root Beer. True, many of the people who buy it are Americans or Canadians, but surprisingly I know quite a few Japanese people who buy it, too. Many of those also like Dr. Pepper which like root beer is seen here as an acquired taste. BTW, A&W Root Beer as a fast-food place is an old standard (since 1963!) in Okinawa Prefecture with 23 locations on Okinawa Island and surrounding islands in the prefecture (ā†’site is bilingual) https://www.awok.co.jp/. Mainly thatā€™s because of the US military presence there. but lots of Okinawans and other Japanese eat there, too. I used to be able to find diet A&W Root Beer and even regular & diet A&W Cream Soda in Japan, but havenā€™t seen those in many years.

2 Likes

Many Canadians drink root beer.

1 Like

Weā€™re cousins from a different motherā€¦

2 Likes

One chain restaurant in Ontario with a pretty good beer selection keeps around 6 different fancy root beers in stock. I donā€™t like root beer enough to finish the whole bottle. 3 sips is enough :joy:

1 Like

I am often confused by the use of the term ā€œAmericanā€.

I donā€™t mean to revisit my previous faux pas, and no offense intended, but isnā€™t that like ā€œEuropeanā€? I guess to some it means USA, to others ā€œNorth Americaā€. I tend to think of all the Americas, unless someone specifies USA.

If American means all the Americas, ā€œAmerican foodā€ would have to include at least corn, and I think beans, and chilies, and probably tomatoes.

But for USA, Iā€™d still be thinking of regional dishes.

5 Likes