American Food

You might like to try Netflix’s “Stranger”, which was extensively filmed round the metro area

2 Likes

I have watched that one! We watched almost all the Harlan Coben Netflix shows that were set in Britain and quite a few that were dubbed and set in Continental Europe. We liked The Stranger.
https://youtu.be/fwUWlxAQj-o

3 Likes

Not sure about the country as a whole, but regionally it seems the Midwestern obsession with turning too many different kinds of things into hot dish / casseroles may be “American Food”.

2 Likes

Yep. I, who lived in North Carolina from birth to leaving for college in Massachusetts at age 18, then living in SF Bay area and Madrid, Spain, before moving back to Massachusetts…really loved while living in Spain the term estadosunidense. And the Spain/Espana (can’t get the tilda in) abbreviation for that: EEUU, two Es because Estados plural, 2 Us because Unidos plural. When people in Spain asked me where I was from, I always said Estados Unidos, which was always understood (this was 1982-1984). Norteamericana meant something very different. And I never once said “Yo soy americana.”

4 Likes

Where do you actually reside?
Raised in KC, escaped to SF, Phoenix, and finally Southern Oregon.
I’ve never lived east of the Mississippi.
:slight_smile:
BTW, Phoenix was the most Midwestern city I lived in.
Hordes of Chicagoans.

2 Likes

Grew up in IL, lived in TX (twice), IN, SC, MO and now currently homed down in the Southeast.

2 Likes

Listen to an American and a Canadian pronounce “out” and “about”… or “house”.The “ou” is the biggest giveaway. To an American ear, the Canadian sounds like he’s saying “a boot.” God only knows what the Canadian thinks the American sounds like. :joy: Of course, if the American is from an area close to the Canadian border, all bets are off.
Speaking as I do for All Americans, I’m damned grateful that Canada is our northern neighbor. It’s the thank-God polite branch of the extended family. When the Vietnam war was in full flourish, American students traveling abroad would often tell people that they were from Canada :canada: just to avoid embarrassment and blowback.

7 Likes

All American Food!!! (sez so right on the sign)

Sometimes, you need to just say no to the A5 and slurp down a Chili Dog and a Fizzy Orange Soda. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OK. I don’t know anyone who drinks root beer, and I’ve lived in the US all my life except for 2 years in Spain, several decades ago. I see root beer available in Massachusetts where I’ve lived since 1990, but I’ve never seen anyone drink it. Never saw anyone drink Pepsi in Europe, but I was only there for 2 years a long time ago.

I guess I don’t get around much.

2 Likes

A spin on the google wheel says Pepsi in Spain is a tiny player in the market, about 300 million EUR compared to Coca Cola at around EUR 2Bn (these are likely corporate totals rather than single-product specific, but still it gives an idea as to the relative scales).

Way back when we drank soda(*), my wife or I would buy A&W about as often as Coke. Maybe a childhood nostalgia thing - as kids, my friends and I would bicycle over to the A&W shack to get a frosty mug and deep fried mushrooms whenever we could scrape together enough change.

(*) Not a conscious decision to “quit”, but I guess we just fell out of the habit; haven’t bought any in probably 20 years except when we’d have guests staying over, e.g. FIL was a Diet Coke fan. The kids never really took to soda, other than the times we’d make ice cream and then sometimes they’d ask for a root beer float.

4 Likes

I remember an empty bottle we found in the woods that was all natural ingredients. It was from the 30s or so.
My grandfather showed me sassafras trees and their bark when I was a wee one.
Not sure if you can get “real” root beer these days unless making homemade brew.
Frostie was my favorite as a kid.
Haven’t seen any in a long time.
Edit:
Looks like the name exists, bottled by various entities, so not the creamy frostie of my youth.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something in the bark extract either is or is suspected to be a carcinogen. Maybe someone makes an extract that has that component removed.

1 Like

My friend works for Pepsi International. He has been living in Spain for around 5 years. He has lived all over the world.

Quebec likes Pepsi more than Coke.

2 Likes

We stopped regularly drinking soda many years ago. The only exception is the occasional bottle of Mexicoke (which we share) with tacos, burgers, or Chinese food.

I had a whole bottle to myself last night with a slice of pizza (after chugging water like a champ all day and wanting something with flavor). It’s amazing just how sweet that shit is if you’re not used to it anymore.

7 Likes

Tastes so great with lots of ice. I treat myself to about 4 per year, a very special treat. I never drink sodas otherwise anymore.

1 Like

Oh, ice for sure.

As a kid, my favorite sodas were (in no particular order): Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Welch’s grape soda, and Canada Dry Wild Cherry.

I still think Dr. Pepper is one of the more… interesting soda flavors out there, and one of the few where the diet version is palatable, but they’re all too sweet for me now. And diet coke is an abomination :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Diet Dr Pepper IMO is by far the most palatable of diet sodas, along with Jones Soda’s Zilch Black Cherry.

2 Likes

Encountered Western Pennsylvania version, birch beer, in Buffalo at Frank and Teressa’s (Anchor Bar --the legendary wing place).

1 Like

So, birch beer tastes similar to root beer?

Can’t remember the taste from our bar mate’s glass – somewhat similar sensations, so we’ll guess sort of same family (but not really) , but less amenable to large scale reproduction. Maybe a lot more subtle, one being a root, the other from higher on the plant, though likely different species to start.