All things silicone

I actually don’t have a silicone cutting board. I have silicone stuffs, and if I have to guess, yes, it should be easy to make deep cut into silicone because they are so soft. It is certainly easier to cut through silicone than the more traditional poly boards.

I have other silicone stuff too which is what made me believe the reviews that it will eventually get cuts in it. I am mainly getting it for its heat resistant properties. A few cuts will not bother me.

You need a heat resistant cutting board? :slight_smile: You are trying to cut something very hot and trying to protect your counter?

Question about the silicone cutting board. Will the cuts in the silicone hold bacteria and allow it to grow?

That is the concern from the reviews I read. I imagine that any cut can get bacteria into it which might be difficult to clean out and will grow but I am one of those people who live in a magic house so I don’t get too hung up about such things.

True, but if all else equal, then why choose a lesser choice?

To add to my growing supply of odd cutting boards I guess. I keep getting them in different materials looking for something missing in my life. The dumbest one is made of glass. I don’t know what I was thinking. I also really hate the plastic ones which my husband is fond of. Maybe I am looking for a compromise material. I should probably seek therapy…

it’s great that after cutting raw food, to be able to use boiling water to wash the board.

Double usage!! Good for space concious kitchens.

Not if it is easier to make a deep cut… in that case, it is not better…

I see. Life is short. It is nice to try a few things.

We love our Lekue silicone microwave popcorn popper! We love ours so much that I bought three more to give as gifts.

The implication of Tanuki’s OP is that you can sterilize them in the microwave. Maybe so, but that double ick makes it TDMW.

I also wonder about fine minces and chiffonade actually removing silicone shreds…

This has been my experience, too. Silicone madeline pan was one of my worst purchases ever. Plus, the smell they give off when baking. Although they weren’t cheap, I purchased mine five years ago. Maybe newer ones don’t smell.

I’ve been using my silicone cutting boards for light prep for a week or two now. On casual inspection, they do not APPEAR to have any cuts in them, but if I bend them back over themselves as shown in the picture posted by Chemicalkinetics, a number of extremely clean, quite deep cuts gape open.

In an earlier post, I said that silicone boards don’t “show” knife cuts, and I guess that statement is literally true. In fact, the cuts are there, but they just can’t be seen easily. This really bugs me, and my silicone cutting boards will now be relegated to trivet duty.

Disappointing :cry:

That is too bad, but at least you have found another use.

Pretty expensive trivets, though. (Or maybe they’ve gotten cheaper since I first started looking at silicone.)

I definitely endorse the silicone brush, because it can actually be cleaned properly. The “squishable” silicon measuring cups, funnels, and colanders are great for people with kitchens with limited storage space.

Yeah, but it is probably better than being a cutting board.

I have tons of silicon stuff at home, some I like a lot, like the rolling pin, the brushes, silicon pot pads, silpad etc. Some I hate, like the bowl covers, muffins mould, have a really hard time washing them and they are never very clean (oily and sticky).

I always ask the question, is silicone safe. Usually, I couldn’t find any evidence against. So I assume it safe. But this aspect “plastic like” still get me wondering.

This is the first time an article tries to talk about some possible toxicity: http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/is_silicone_a_plastic#.V3RFM9B4WoM

Anyone has more information?

Aren’t a “turner” and a spatula the same thing?