All-Clad G5 graphite core

(post deleted by author)

Yeah, probably someone told you the entire pan plus package…etc weight.

1 Like

That’s what I usually assume when the numbers are that high. I always have to at least question if lid weights are included.

3 lbs for the pan isn’t a silly assumption. But in this case, this small pan is so thin! If this pan was a boxer, it’d never make it past Mini-Flyweight class.

I won’t know accurate thicknesses until I section it, but the aluminum exposed at the rim appears to be only around 1mm thick TOTAL. It will be interesting to see if two 0.5mm aluminum layers–separated by the graphite at the floor–unite in he walls. But roll bonding two very thin layers to make quite thin layup doesn’t make much sense to me.

I’m looking forward to seeing inside this thing. What’s your process for testing the pan before you deconstruct it? Will you be able to make comparisons to D3 and Copper Core? Does your source have the weight of the G5 saute pan? That was the size where the possible weight savings seemed the most interesting.

1 Like

Basically, I’ll do what I normally do–test for evenness and responsiveness on different hobs.

Unfortunately, because of the small size, I lack any comparators other than a 2mm tinned copper one. All of my many clad and disk pans are larger. The small size of the G5 means that even quite small hobs cover the entire bottom. This fact, together with the G5’s extreme thinness, makes me wonder how significant the results will be. I mean this pan is like a tennis racquet!

That makes sense. I was a bit worried about that when I heard the size of the pan, but I didn’t really have a point of reference to know if that could be an issue. I know certain companies also change the thickness of their line from the small sizes to the larger sizes, although I’m not sure if that’s common in cladded lines. I mostly remember that from Paderno.

Here’s a partial installment on my evaluation of Meekah’s 8" G5 skillet.

Because her cat Izzy tries to cook and damaged the pan, It can be seen that some internal layer is a perforated sheet or grid. I think we can safely assume that sheet is the graphite layer.

When Izzy did his thing, the bottom layer of SS sunk into the “holes” in the sheet, creating a measurable pattern of circulat divots. I counted 114 of these divots on the 6-inch floor of the pan, and crudely measured them to be 3/16" in diameter.

What this means is (probably) that roughly 38% of the pan floor is open, and not underlain with graphite. And obviously, 62% is covered.

I’ll post more accurate, verified numbers as I take the pan apart.

Incidentally, I looked up (researched?) the conductivity numbers for this material. I already knew that it transfers heat laterally better than vertically, but I was nevertheless surprised to learn that the rate of vertical transfer is really poor. How poor? Well, it varies by thickness (yet to be determined), but in the gauges that are possible here, the thermal conductivity is <20 W/mK.

This aspect has interesting implications. First, this construction may not be super responsive after all; what speed there is may just be a function of the overall thinness, and in spite of the graphite. Second, because the thermal conductivity in the lateral direction is so very high (about 1800 W/mK!), where does that heat go? Is there enough carrying capacity in the walls of the pan to move more usable heat higher into the sidewalls than in, say, d3? Third, given these thermal properties, it might make more sense to think of G5 as a hybrid pan rather than a clad pan.

3 Likes

The Perp has been busted. His sister is thrilled.

2 Likes

Interesting. I made a post earlier in the thread comparing the G5 concept to hybrid pans. I’ve actually been wondering if this idea could have made more sense as a traditional hybrid with d3 attached to a 2-3mm graphite base. I assume All-Clad would still have to sandwich the base similar to how they already did with G5.

1 Like

Not to excuse Izzy the Destroyer, but I recall that that honeycomb pattern was faintly visible when the pan was new. Which was puzzling.

Is this like a Mug shot?

1 Like

Best we could do …. Ball and chain leg iron optional :joy_cat:

Do your cats do crack?
Cat Feasts On Catnip As Owner Tries To Stop Them | Cat Crack #Shorts - YouTube

Izzy looks innocent - his sister less so - are you sure he was not framed?

She is wise … she knows how to wait …he always falls into a trap, being young and foolish.

I wish!

I think the technical issues are probably governing this. We mostly think of hybrid pans as a multi-ply pan body 'clad" in SS, with a separate, thicker disk attached after the initial bonding and forming. This usually adds a layer of aluminum, and whatever magnetic layer is intended to make the pan induction-capable.

G5 is different. The graphite layer is clearly (to me) part of the mill run, and in the mix from the beginning. The grid must be centered, but as long as the coupon is cut and formed without overstressing the graphite, It should work. That’s how they can achieve a continuous bottom layer from floor to rim.

I also guess that there is a firm practical manufacturing limit to how thick the carbon layer can be and still hold together. This may be what tripped Viking up.

We’ll see.

If you think about it, Demeyere TriplInduc pans may follow a similar path, except the 3 floor-only plies don’t serve a conductive purpose. Likewise, perhaps (I’m speculating here), Mauviel’s new induction like of copper may have a floor-only magnetic layer just under the exterior copper.

Kaleo. I probably missed it. Do you have any weight measurement of the G5 vs regular triple or D5? I am curious how much lighter it is.

Yes. The 8" G5 is supposedly 1.4 pounds; I got 1.49. The handle accounts for a lot of that.

I’d have to go back to the well to find out about d3 and d5. Better to find someone here to weigh them, but they’re heavier