All-Clad G5 graphite core

I’m not drinking the koolaid. I would love to know the specs of the layers as well. All-Clad has released next to nothing on the line. HO was my first step to finding those numbers.

I agree. Your list is almost the exact list I worked off of. Cristel Casteline, Falk Signature, Demeyere Industry, All-Clad Copper Core. I narrowed the list down to Falk and Copper Core. Now I’m just trying to research if G5 may at least compare to Copper Core.

1 Like

Yea the cost is outrageous. I can’t believe I’m even considering anything other than Falk at this price point, but my neck and shoulder issues are pushing me to look at new options.

The reviews include the one I linked, 2 reddit pages, and the product reviews on All-Clad’s website. Not exactly some great sources. Which reminds me G5 is only available on their own site. They really don’t seem to be pushing this line in any meaningful way.

This is the most useful reddit post I found. It mentions the line being the same overall thickness as d3. https://www.reddit.com/r/AllClad/comments/u4gq0i/graphite_core_g5/

Don’t read too much in to the titanium thing. It was purely a weight thing. I never implied anything about it improving conduction or placing it in the core. Based on my own experience with titanium camp cookware I would love to see a home cookware line replace the steel exterior and handle with titanium. I don’t expect any large company to cater to my specific needs on that level. It just tied in to the Nanobond line you brought up.

Let’s figure out how much lighter is the All Clad G5 first. If it is much lighter, then let’s consider it. Lighter weight can be a really nice thing.

Definitely. I’ve been trying to piece that together myself. After looking around on their site they don’t seem to have the weight listed on any products. Maybe they have a pdf of a product catalogue somewhere, but I can’t find it. I’m going to message them, but it might be easier to just buy to test, and return if it doesn’t work out. They’re not really giving the consumer much choice there.

This is shorthand for “None of the big sellers was interested, even for an exclusive.”

Maybe you should take a bullet for Team Onion and buy one to test…

Just a little update. I messaged All-Clad about the weight of the line and the thickness of the layers. Their system estimates 2 business days. The reddit post I linked described the line as lighter than d3 and more responsive than copper core, with the same thickness as d3. Copper core weighs 3.70lbs and d3 weighs 2.79lbs in a skillet.

Obviously an anonymous reddit post should be taken with a massive grain of salt, but it’s some of the only information available. If this information were to hold up then this line should be at least similar to d3 performance with copper core response at a weight savings of roughly a pound or better over copper core. I wish I had more information to give, but it puts some of what you said about the weight in to perspective. Is the price going to be worth it to me I really don’t know yet.

1 Like

This does seem incredibly likely. My only other guess is that this line makes no sense for them to sell at retail due to some hidden cost in the manufacturing, and they may be cutting out the middleman because no one would buy this line with an additional retail upcharge. Not looking good either way.

I’ve volunteered for this a few times in the thread. I’m ready to do it, but other than real world cooking experience, I don’t have the knowledge or means of testing anything. Unless someone in the SF bay area can assist with that. Sending it to you in Hawaii would be a little weird and expensive. I’m not really sure where Centurylife is located or if they still do these tests. I haven’t seen new cookware on their list in years.

I bought one already! I wouldn’t encourage anyone to buy one. Even before the great cat disaster, I wasn’t overwhelmed by the pan. Yes, it’s noticeably lighter. And I can understand why someone might need, as opposed to just prefer, a light pan. I had surgery and was forbidden to lift anything over 5 lbs for a while, so I used aluminum with induction disc bottoms for my Dutch oven and saucepan during that period. Didn’t do much cooking, truth to tell. I’m sure others can offer suggestions. As mentioned, the fact that All-Clad doesn’t sell this line anywhere., and there are only a couple of pieces of it, isn’t exactly a great testimonial.

I’d be happy to test it for you in Seattle. I’ve done this for others’ crazy priced pans, e.g., Prima Matera.

I have a SF friend coming up the 3rd week in August who could carry it.

Yes, I remember. I’d also be happy to do some quantitative testing on your G5. Wasn’t there some question about it being damaged in use?

Hi FamishedFunyuns,

At this stage of development, All Clad is really not ready to more than test market, so only having it on their website doesn’t mean much yet.

You might be able to find some that have leaked onto EBAY: that’s how I was able to find my nanobond at an affordable price when it was first introduced.

Ray - do you have tomorrow night’s lottery numbers by chance?

1 Like

Yes, sort of. My cat stepped on the touch controls of my induction stove (first he stepped on the lock controls button to unlock the controls, of course) and turned on the burner under it. It turned kind of golden, inside and out. I didn’t discover his handiwork until the next morning. Of course, he also turned on the oven. Want me to send you the pan? I bar keeper friended it as much as I could. Message me.

2 Likes

I’ll have to think it out a few days. Meekah’s impression definitely doesn’t inspire me on the line. It would be great to see you test out Meekah’s G5 first like you mentioned. I will say as Meekah was matching some disc cookware to an induction setup, something like G5 probably wouldn’t feel as necessary on the same induction setup. I do think G5 would feel a lot better matched to something like my slow even heating electric stove. I’ll let you know if I decide to order it and we can work it out from there.

Hi RD,

Got some suggestions if I win?

1 Like

Tell us, Ray, at what stage of development would you characterize All-Clad with G5?

Maybe you know something A-C’s head of product development doesn’t. I’ll check for you if you want.

Don’t leave us in the dark.

1 Like

Hi Kaleo,

Maybe you should take Dr. H’s business marketing class?

1 Like

If you’re open to the idea of nonstick… You can check out De Buyer Choc - it’s lightweight and performs well. Because it’s relatively thin (e.g. compared to Demeyere nonstick) it’s quite responsive but it still performs well. Moreover, the nonstick coating isn’t the best, which is actually a good thing imho because it will then perform like a regular ss pan - it is easier to caramelise food.

As seen in lots of restaurant kitchens.

1 Like

Baking soda really does help. I burned some rice in an SS saucier once, and baking soda got out the burn marks. Made me less mad at me.

1 Like

You didn’t answer my question, Ray. You suggested you have knowledge of a specific All-Clad’ product’s development status and its future. You obviously don’t. Neither, apparently, does mysterious Dr. H.