Alice B. Toklas recipes

A cooking project for September, the theme is Alice Toklas, I’m starting to read Murder in the Kitchen and Cook Book.

Which are the most memorable dishes for you? Have you cooked any of the recipes?

1 Like

I’ve not read her but googling now.

She “invented” hash fudge… or at least that’s what legend would have you believe.

2 Likes

Reading a bit of her biography. Interesting life.

More interesting than most people’s.

1 Like

I don’t know but her’s seems interesting to me.

LOL canibus sativa! Interesting, but don’t think it’s possible.

Take 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1 whole nutmeg, 4 average sticks of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon coriander. These should all be pulverized in a mortar. About a handful each of stone dates, dried figs, shelled almonds and peanuts: chop these and mix them together. A bunch of canibus sativa can be pulverized. This along with the spices should be dusted over the mixed fruit and nuts, kneaded together. About a cup of sugar dissolved in a big pat of butter. Rolled into a cake and cut into pieces or made into balls about the size of a walnut, it should be eaten with care. Two pieces are quite sufficient. Obtaining the canibus may present certain difficulties. …It should be picked and dried as soon as it has gone to seed and while the plant is still green.

Sadly, edibles have zero effect on me.

1 Like

Tried in food, zero effect too.

Yeah, normally can’t propose them. LOL! (but I can ask to see how far we want to go)

Saw this, but it seems far from the real thing.