Aldi Products Yea/Meh/Nay 2023-2024

Meh for the Priano chicken parm cutlets. Easy enough dinner, and the coating becomes nice and crispy, but honestly I prefer my own chicken cutlets (even tho it’s hella more work). The texture of the meat was a lil too soft/mushy for my taste.

That sounds like the canned rotel tomatoes that I just stocked up on, probably for more $$. I hadn’t seen (or more likely noticed) them for some time, so I grabbed them when I saw them and now I’m seeing them in all the markets. I’ll have to make your soup now. thnx :smile:

I haven’t seen this product - is it seasonal or always available? I only ever see the mozz in plastic wrap.

Also couldn’t find the chocolate-covered espresso beans - are they with the regular chocolates?

I’ve only recently seen it, but I don’t know if it’s seasonal (be a bit late for burrata with tomato season solidly over). Not a ‘special find’ either. It was with all the other cheeses.

The espresso beans were near the freezer section with all the other chocolates (Choceur brand).

G’luck!

1 Like

Hmm. Didn’t find burrata on the Aldi website but RealSimple says it’s seasonal. I will keep my eyes peeled.

It’s only 10 cents cheaper than TJ’s with no discernible difference. If ya can’t find it at Aldi, get it at TJ’s. They have it all year round :wink:

Yay to the dill dip. It’s as good as homemade and much easier.

1 Like

I also haven’t seen this, but obviously I’m not looking in the right place! Or maybe I just don’t know what the packaging looks like. Do I have BurrataBlindness™?

It’s pretty innocuous. I gotta run to a doc appt but will take a pic when I get a chance :slight_smile:

Thanks for the dill dip tip :wink:

1 Like

there is an Aldi ‘in town’ from us - it’s a 30 minute one-way.
also a Lidl - slightly further . . .

however they are building a new Aldi right down the corner from us - mega closer-and-can’t-wait…
our local Costco is a 50 minute one-way. we go about 3every six weeks to stock up on specific items.

the problem I experience and carp about is . . . Lidl, Aldi, Costco . . . stock up on ‘stuff’ and if you go looking for it next month . . . no more gots. recent carp on such a simple thing as telcherry whole black pepper corns…

our local Giant is not far behind in the ‘no got’ category - the staff must be incredible incompetent, stuff I’ve been buying there for 20+ years is now a really iffy find. curiously . . . the Weis across the street and the Giant ~10 miles off always seem to have the stuff my local doesn’t . . .

I’m sure they really care about me, but seems ‘just not a lot’

if I absolutely must find it ‘this trip’ - that’s a Wegman’s adventure. 35 minutes to one, 55 minutes to the other . . . .

1 Like

Been awhile since we’ve shopped at Aldi. Good deal on spinach, mushrooms and egg rolls. Extremely large seedless green grapes are sweet enough but nothing special. A funny thing about the Fremont crab cakes. I searched high and low in the stand up freezer with shrimp, battered fish, every manner of seafood (where they should have been imo), but no crab cakes. I was more than a little disappointed. Then as I started towards the front to check out,I happened to glance at a slide top freezer filled with cheese pizza and there they were! Wedged in right next lobster mac n cheese. Made my day. Yeah, I know I need to get a life.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Best priced spinach in town here. A lot of the ‘special finds’ or ‘select’ items are often in the horizontal freezers vs. the vertical.

1 Like

Since I posted a pic on WFD I might as well get this over and done with. Fremont crab cakes. Now obviously there will be little to no actual crab. But the promise of imitation crab meat and fish flakes on the front of the package had me thinking that maybe, just maybe there would be some texture to the usual mush. Nope. In hindsight I suppose “fish flakes” are akin to instant mashed potato flakes and the fake crab must have been ground right in. Couldn’t taste either one. They baked up nice and crisp though. When you pay $4.99 for a bag of crab cakes you get what you pay for and I have no one but myself to blame for this purchase. Your taste and mileage may vary.

The refrigerated pork egg rolls otoh were very good. I sprayed with a little cooking spray and baked them. Flavorful filling. Wrappers crisp, almost flakey with a slight chew. Will definitely buy again.

3 Likes

Thx for the report. I wasn’t going to buy them, as we have two very good sources for actual crab cakes with jumbo lump crab meat, so I’d rather splurge on those than get subpar mush.

I’m usually weary of store-bought egg rolls, so thx for that reco.

2 Likes

+1. A regular buy for me.

2 Likes

Are they heavy on the cabbage stuffing?

Well, this was going to be my dinner tonight - still will be, but at least I know going in. I’ll remoulade the shit out of them to get some flavah-flav and see how it goes.

6 Likes

Yeah. Cabbage and ground pork. Like classic Cantonese(?)-American takeout.

1 Like

The only crab cakes I saw yesterday were in a box in the vertical freezer, 2 cakes for $9.99 (IIRC). I did score a coffee Advent calendar as a gift for a friend, though. (I’m assuming if she doesn’t have a Keurig, she can just cut open the pods and use them in a drip coffee maker.)

The hot sauce calendar didn’t look all that great. What’s the point of tiny bits of hot sauce you cannot get more of even if you like it?

Do NOT get the hot sauce calendar. Absolutely not worth it, i.e. none of the sauces left us wanting more of them.

Now, the cheese calendar, or the special pralines one… I should see if I can get my hands on one of those.