Aldi Products Yea/Meh/Nay 2023-2024

I had an Aldi not far from my home but didn’t go too often. Not exactly sure what it was but was further away than other grocery stores and sometimes produce wasn’t up to par

1 Like

I will have to look for those. I love that kind of thing.

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t accidentally grab the Everything version. That shit’s on and in everything these days, it seems.

Unless you like it, of course. Then knock yerself oot :wink:

1 Like

My cat seems to like the astrology house

8 Likes

YAY for the burrata. Same great quality as TJ’s for 10 CENTS less :joy::+1:t3:

3 Likes

YAY for the pistachio gelato cups. Not too artificially tasting, light & creamy. Dunno if it had melted a bit too much, but the texture was more like a custard than a gelato.

1 Like

Their Fremont label crab cakes, 5 large for $4.99-$7.99 in NJ location have been on rotation since the first purchase. Packed in a ziplock bag.

3 Likes

AutumnCrisp grapes this week were good for non-local grapes.

So, I did a Salem, NH run this morning/afternoon, hitting up Aldi last. Picked up pork tenderloin for tomorrow’s dinner and sourdough bread, both recommended by @eleeper. Tried a slice of the sourdough with butter and sea salt; didn’t get a strong sourdough flavor. They did have a round loaf that might be what @eleeper gets and likes. I’ll definitely eat the bread. Looks to be good for sandwiches.

Fremont label crab cakes recommended by @Rooster and frozen chunks of mango were popped into my freezer.

@linguafood 's previous recommendation of Speculatius cookies had me snagging a bag when I saw them. LOVE these cookies!

I also got several cheeses: a vintage Irish cheddar, a mango and ginger white stilton (because mango & ginger…) and a creamy havarti, because @linguafood has mentioned it multiple times (not necessarily Aldi’s version) and it just went into my cart without thinking. :cheese: :grin: Haven’t tried any of them yet.

Finally, the pains au chocolat and dark chocolate butter cookies. Chocolate. That’s why. Had a pain au chocolat to tide me over until dinner. Not bad. They’re individually wrapped, which I like. Not flaky, which I missed. Many posts online say to warm them in a 350° oven for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate and flake the brioche roll, which is lightly sweet. Has just enough chocolate filling to assuage the chocolate craving.

The cookies will be an after dinner try.

6 Likes

Canned Casa Mamita Tomatoes with Green Chilies is very handy to have; I just combined a can of black beans, a can of Casa Mamita, and some carnitas for a pretty good soup.

1 Like

Not my recommendations. (Which is not to say they’re bad, but I’ve never had either.)

Oops. You’re right! They were @tcamp 's recommendations. I had copied/pasted various recs into a Word doc to print and bring with me today vs scrolling through the thread, and your salmon croquettes and fig and goat cheese pizza were right above tcamp’s. (Neither item were at my Aldi.)

1 Like

My local Aldi in far Western NC recently had Tête de Moine cheese from Switzerland. Very expensive (about $5 for 3oz.) but one of the best cheeses I ever stumbled into. Not available when I looked yesterday, but if you ever see it try some. Aldi version comes in a blister pack. Cheese presents in rosettes very similar in shape/appearance to cauliflower florets.

2 Likes

I always thought the rosettes looked more like oyster mushrooms. Love Tête de Moine, and good to know Aldi has it. It’s fairly rich, so not much is needed to satisfy.

1 Like

I agree about the oyster mushrooms, but those would have to be teeny tiny ones.

I suspect for Aldi it’s one of those here today gone tomorrow things, but worth it to keep in on your watch list if/when they bring it back.

1 Like

I need to stock up on their lox, so I may just head over there today and see if I can get some tête! Thanks for the heads up.

They carry actual lox?

Smoked salmon.

Let us know what you find.

I went there for specific items & completely blanked on the tête :pleading_face:

But I picked up two other gelato cup flavors: hazelnut chocolate & coffee. We’ll split one for dessert tonight & I shall report.

2 Likes