Aldi 2022 >

Sorry, I just checked the package and they are NOT wild caught. They are farmed in Vietnam, but are BAP certified.

1 Like

Gave another Aldi pizza a try: Mama Cozzi’s rising crust with spinach, mushrooms & garlic. Added sautéed baby bellas (cuz you can never have too many shrooms) & a few extra leaves of baby spinach.

The crust was lacking salt overall, the garlic was barely discernible, and I found the crust too bready, although fans of this type of crust would probably enjoy it more.

Think we’re done with Aldi pizza experiments for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YAY for the Priano arrabbiata. Has a serious kick for a commercial sauce.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/growing-discount-grocer-aldi-devouring-the-winn-dixie-supermarket-chain/ar-AA1flYbr

3 Likes

Just bought some last week. I’ll be grabbing those every time if they have them. Have to try the shrimp. Having trouble finding my usual Argentinian reds.

1 Like

You’d need a corn tortilla for that to be authentic. ( I kid, y’know) Just glad to see you prepped the tortilla. Gracias! They look just great!

Our German pro digs the frozen strudel. NOTED!

1 Like

I like the Gulf shrimp and they are well priced, too.

I will keep this in mind. I’ve only been to an Aldi’s once (first one to open in my area) and then the pandemic put a stop to my roaming.

$12 a lb. lately, I think I saw. Good size, too. Also, if you’re into the grassfed beef thing, they have it for $4/lb, $4.69/lb when not on sale. I tried one when it was $4 and it was decent beef. Not the “beefiest” but decent boef.

Their frozen goods are usually cheaper than most other stores. I love some of their German products. Mayo is my new stand by. Produce is usually good and well-priced. Never buy garlic at Aldi’s. Just don’t. Their wines/beers are surprisingly good. Eggs and milk are cheap, and many dairy products come cheaper there. Canned goods and baking needs are well priced. When I’m stocking up, I have to stop there. It’s just my route and routine.

1 Like

Agree on the latter but not the former, unfortunately. Ours tends to go bad quickly and/or is picked so underripe that it goes from crunchy straight to mush. I’m looking at you, plums, avocados, watermelon, and strawberries. Bagged greens are routinely half rotten and cucumbers spoil in a day or three. Their carrots are also garbage (they must be a lower grade or something). I haven’t had problems with the garlic heads and sometimes they are even purple garlic, which I prefer.

I buy my avocados almost exclusively at Aldi, but I get them as unripe as possible and let them ripen on my windowsill = perfection every time. I’ve also never had any issues with their bagged spinach, which is the cheapest in town. Maybe it depends on the store/location?

I’ve not had much luck with that. Usually one of the ends is horribly rotten/bruised by the time the rest is edible.

THE AVOCADOS ARE RIPE!

5 Likes

I ALWAYS make sure that the nub is on & have never had an issue. I think once the nub (scientific term for it :rofl:) is gone all bets are off. The flesh beneath it turns brown and I guess that goes through the rest of the fruit.

1 Like

Ah! I will look out for that. You mean the little stem nipple thing?

Yeah. That’s the other scientific term for it. You can always see that the ones without are brown where the stem should be. When I let them ripen and pull it off to cut in half, it’s usually pale green beneath it, which is a great sign. Also, once they’re ripe and uncut you can keep them in the fridge for well over a week, and they’ll be absolutely fine.

2 Likes

Never had a problem with any of their produce. I do the same with Aldi’s avocados. Green and hard, they blossom in days.

Will try, thanks.

I can recommend the chicken momos from the freezer. Very satisfying dumplings.

New discussion for this year and next:

1 Like