Albuquerque and Santa Fe

We’ll be flying into Albuquerque and driving up to Santa Fe at the end of the month to do another of our 10k State Capital walks (#46). I spent a lot of time there (both cities) years ago back when I was working, but am eager for insight into the current “bests” – primary focus on New Mexican food, especially green chiles. We’re looking for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in both cities.

1 Like

I’m totally jealous since I love both towns!!! Since we stay in Santa Fe, I’ve gone to more places there. We tend to only eat New Mexican dishes since it’s nonexistent and/or bad where we live - northern California. Make sure you order dishes “Christmas” with both red and green chile. I used to think it was a tourist thing, but it turns out it isn’t. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Santa Fe:
The Shed and La Choza (same owners)
Tia Sophia’s for breakfast
La Plazuela in La Fonda Hotel
Bobcat Bites
Plaza Cafe
Cafe Pasqual

Albuquerque:
The Frontier
Mary & Tito’s
Golden Crown Bakery
Duran Central Pharmacy

Of course there are lots more, and I hope others will add their favorites.

5 Likes

TheLibrarian 28, you are my new best friend. I see some old friends on that list and some new ones that need a try. Many thanks!

1 Like

Happy to help! I forgot to mention that I read all of your barbecue posts on your blog and really enjoy them - thanks.

1 Like

(blush!). You’re so nice! We’re about to report on a trip to Europe

It’s been a very long time since I’ve been to Albuquerque or Santa Fe, but some of my favorites were:

Mary & Tito’s
Cecelia’s Cafe
Perea’s New Mexican Restaurant
Perea’s Tijuana Bar & Restaurant (in Corrales, no connection to the other Perea’s, I think)
La Choza

You might check out Gil’s website. Treasure trove of info about restaurants in New Mexico (and beyond.)

https://www.nmgastronome.com/

3 Likes

The coupla big name Santa Fe places didn’t impress us way back then, and they had just become trendy not-to-miss, though it appears they’re still around. Ironically, we can’t remember the pretty good unpretentious lunch in Chimayo!

1 Like

Treasure trove indeed! Thanks!

this wont be much help I fear but just summarizing the eating results of my very quick visit to NM two years ago - I wrote about it elsewhere but that is lost. since it was still in the pandemic we struck out a few times because of closures. that will not be the case now
Abiquiu - stayed at Las Parras, wonderful, at dinner at Abiquiu Inn, a very very good green chile burger there. (good bet generally, I think!) Bode’s grocery is interesting both for takeout and lots of local products.
Taos - not many options on a Monday, and I had a near catastrophe left my cell phone on top of a parking meter in the town center fortunately still there half an hour later when I went back to look for it! I had a delicious pork and green chile stew at Martyrs Steak House and my companion was very happy with her salad. Nice historic building.
Chimayo - stayed at the Inn (great antique place and setting) ate at the restaurant (underwhelmed the food was rather bland though it is really festive and we enjoyed the experience. The historic mission churches are very much worth the trip.
Santa Fe only time for a quick lunch and then dinner - several places were closed that day and the touristiness is a negative in the center, the main art drag (forget the name). Palacios, in the center near the Cathedral is a good lunch spot (dont remember specifics) Paper Dosa gave us a terrific dinner. This is a really popular place and rightly so, modern indian and worth the visit. btw stayed at Guadalope Inn which is modestly priced and in a non touristy historic neighborhood. We enjoyed.
Sorry not to have more time or get down to Albuquerque which i believe has very good food - loved this state tho it is a mixture of beautiful nature and obvious issues of poverty and resource allocation.

3 Likes

I love the food from that area, but I usually end up in Las Vegas and Taos. A plate with two stacks of enchiladas, one green and one red, a fried egg on each stack, and a couple of Dos Equis amber, is the perfect plate to split. Chile rellenos are, too.

2 Likes

Go to La Lecheria for their Green Chile Ice Cream. :yum:

2 Likes

I’ve never been there, but I make one of their sauces all the time. If you like their food, check out A Real American Breakfast from the Internet Archive - the cafe’s owner shared several of her recipes with the authors:

• Pasqual’s Chorizo (p. 138), which is also used in the recipe for Uranium Cafe (Grants, NM) Grants Quiki (p. 16)
  • Pasqual’s Red Chilaquiles (p. 220) also uses the chorizo
  • Breakfast Polenta Southwest Style (p. 324), which uses the chorizo and also includes a recipe for Pasqual’s Red Chile Sauce

(They also have Christmas stacked enchiladas - just search the book for Mesilla Valley to turn those up).

2 Likes

I agree that Gil’s blog is really helpful, but his writing style drives me nuts!

2 Likes

Thanks! I and;'t heard of Paper Dosa. I’ll check it out

1 Like

I’ve been to Pasqual’s many times, usually for breakfast. Good place!

1 Like

Darn! We’re going to be there in mid-Sept, so we won’t overlap but I’ll have the benefit of your finds! Been several years since we’ve been.

1 Like

Dang!

I’m just doing this to torture myself here.
The New Mexico Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail:

3 Likes

I have lived in Albuquerque for many years. Here are a few of my favorite New Mexico restaurants:
Indian Pueblo Kitchen for breakfast or lunch
Duran’s Station and Duran’s Pharmacy
Casa de Benavides (check hours)
Barelas for breakfast
Original Cocina Azul on Mountain
Mary and Tito’s for red Chile

Here are a few other favorites not exclusively New Mexican:
Kosmos- warehouse area, good green Chile burgers
Farmacy -good breakfast, brunch
Hannah and Nate’s-breakfast
Seasons Rotisserie and Grill- Old Town nice dinner downstairs or bar upstairs
Heidi’s Ice Cream (warehouse area) good ice cream and raspberry jam including red chile raspberry jam
Sawmill market- upscale food hall near Old Town (a bit pricey but lots of good food)

There are many other good places. These are just the ones that pop into mind. Have a wonderful trip!

2 Likes

Thanks! Some old friends and new opportunities