After the hurricane in Houston,TX

I don’t know what to say. I’m lirtally speechless.

This reminds me of the 7 11 across from Jane Long Junior High in the 20’s or 30’s, okay maybe the 70’s that limited the amount of students allowed in.

Jeez what is wrong with people. The weather people just showed four National Guard trucks heading south on the wrong side of I 45 while cars are going north to destination flooded out.

I’ve lived here for sixty years and seen scores of rainstorms, tropical storms, and hurricanes but this one tops everything.

Stay safe ya’ll. People who don’t live in hurricane zones often think the wind is the biggest problem…At least it’s not a full moon, so tides won’t be as bad for coastal folks.

2 Likes

It’s almost always the tides and rains. People are already forgetting Rockport that got hammered by winds. I have friends down there that I’ve known since childhood but I know they are okay since they are some resilient folks.

3 Likes

I think if you had been here twice that long, and I know you’re almost that old :smiling_imp:, you wouldn’t have seen anything like this. This is unprecedented.

I’m jaded, too, from having been here so long. I admit I didn’t take this very seriously. These storms that come up so quickly don’t usually have much lasting power. This one has proved me wrong.

Tim Heller on 13 noted almost all of Harvey’s rains have been on the north side of the storm. There’s been nothing out over the Gulf and we got a lot more than the Coastal Bend. And it ain’t over yet.

I have to turn the TV off from time to time; it’s too much to watch.

4 Likes

Just watched a news conference with the Army Corps of Engineers. Controlled releases have begun from Barker and Addicks and are still being ramped up but the levels have continued to rise and uncontrolled release over the spillway of Addicks is expected later tonight. The only good news is the latest forecasts are reducing the amount of rains expected going forward for the rest of the week.

What I know is no two storms are the same and nothing surprises me any more. I think I’ve seen it all but unfortunately I probably haven’t.

2 Likes

Glad everyone who posted so far is ok. Hopefully everyone who hasn’t is also doing alright.

7 Likes

Our family members have taken in 12 people and unknown number of pets. Some in the Woodlands were able to get to a grocery store, others are running low on food, but everyone is still in good spirits seemingly and neighbors are sharing. Time enough to grieve when flood waters subside.

We have no water, but have plenty of bottled water and power. We are fortunate.

10 Likes

I’m a little late finding this thread, I hope you and your families are on high ground and safe during this storm God Bless.

6 Likes

PS
I’m in NJ, but I am able to foster a pet for someone for as long as necessary. Only requirement is that it can get along with a cat.

6 Likes

I’ll see that and raise you one -

A very much quieter day yesterday - 1" rain in my neighborhood and stores starting to re-open as Harvey pushes off to the east and grocers figure out how to restock and staff their stores that are serviceable. Convoys of food are coming in to the city. I’ve lost the little HEB near me (in the Meyerland neighborhood). For the second year in a row they’ve been inundated and will need to replace all refrigeration units. That’s half the store. They were closed last year from the Tax Day Floods until the week before Halloween.

I haven’t had much time to post as I’ve been out helping friends in other parts of the city whose houses took in water. Several are staying with relatives but none in shelters… yet.

I have to say something about all the volunteers. I heard on TV the county sheriff’s department has only 15 boats for the whole county but there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of boats being deployed in rescue efforts. The overwhelming majority of them are privately owned and being manned by their owners and neighbors. And then there are all the pickups and other high profile vehicles being put into service, overwhelmingly, again, privately (or corporately) owned. I’ve read of trained rescue teams and equipment from as far away as Phoenix and volunteers from farther than that.

This is just as incredible, and a lot better to read about, than all the frickin’ rain we got and all the devastation and displacement.

Thanks from one very weary Houstonian to all who are helping out.

11 Likes

Meanwhile, water is still rising in our neighborhood near the dams. New round of evacuations today.

3 Likes

Lambsy, I hope you stay dry. Keep us informed.

2 Likes

I bought charcoal before Alicia and Ike. At an Ace Hardware the guy serving me asked why I was buying charcoal. He stashed away the last bag after my answer.

2 Likes

I’m home and dry, even have cable. A couple of blocks away the water starts and across Memorial many friends have water into the second story. Heartbreaking. Two of them JUST went through a kitchen remodel in these 1960s homes that they waited and saved for a long time! But on the bright side, when I remodeled the kitchen 5 or 6 years ago, I thought of things I would do differently after it was done. So a second chance with flood insurance $ isn’t all terrible maybe. “They say” the water won’t rise further even though dam releases will continue indefinitely and the water that is there won’t go away for weeks or months. A relative on the south side of Memorial didn’t take on water but won’t have power for 4-6 weeks and she is bedridden, so the human struggle continues.

For a brief moment I thought hey yeah! That 1963 bathroom isn’t going to remodel itself! C’mon Harvey! A brief moment.

Are you dry, Doobs? The Nextdoor app reports that Sushi Jin is open today AND got a shipment of fish today. AND it’s Thursday.

4 Likes

We tried. How we tried! Apparently the only bridge over Buffalo Bayou that is open is the one on San Felipe just west of Voss. It took me an hour just to find out that I almost literally " can’t get there from here"!

And from what you say this situation could last for weeks. Oy!

Otherwise it’s been pretty easy for us. Most of my family came through relatively unscathed. I just can’t get anywhere.

BTW the Kirkwood HEB closed at 5:30 and they ran out of gas when I was next in line. Found some at Alief Clodine and Eldridge on my circuitous route back to civilization.

Can’t complain. We’re fine.

5 Likes

Jeebus, y’all. Puts it into perspective what’s important an what’s not.

And now Irma and Jose are stomping their way across the Atlantic as mighty storms – way too early to freak out, but the pacing and glancing nervously at the tracks has begun.

2 Likes