After the hurricane in Houston,TX

Nope, entire city under water. We’ve had 15 inches with another 30 plus predicted. Fortunately the Wifeacita and I get along well as we may be here for days but we have plenty of food and water.

1 Like

Rockport got slammed. I’ve fished and vacationed down there many times, a beautiful small town on the bay.

2 Likes

Oh, please dont think I meant that there wasn’t destruction or that it wont be years of recovery.

Just that the storm itself wasn’t the Andrew/Katrina/Charlie level of utter devastation that was feared, and the casualties are low.

Anybody who lives along the Gulf Coast knows that it could have been us.

2 Likes

And this morning’s photos and videos of Houston are awful… prayers to all for the long recovery ahead…

3 Likes

Well on the bright side at least it wasn’t Jersey or Florida this time.

According to my family in Houston and San Antonio they are going to be using the canoe to get around for the next couple days.

Do cottonmouths, rattlers and the occasional escaped pet gator count as navigable hazzards?

This is awful. We left to parts north, and though it is raining buckets, we are on a hill. Back in the 'hood, people are on their roofs and in attics and on social media trying to find help. There are not enough rescue personnel to help. Neighbors are stepping up in our area, a woman just swam a couple of blocks to get her grandmother. It’s neighbor helping neighbor at this point. Other cities are sending help but that will take time.

3 Likes

Pet gators? There are thousands of huge wild alligators in the lakes and bayous in this area.

Lots of gators coming out to play.

Good Heavens, Lambsy. Don’t know where you live although I assume you’re like Doobie, N & W of me, but I haven’t heard of anything that bad out that way.

6 am this morning, Flood Warning System gauge near me showed 14.5" accumulation over the last 24 hours, PWS showed 9.5" since midnight. At least 5" has been added since then, and there was a nice lull for a while and we’re in another one now.

First look at radar was encouraging - heaviest activity to the NE of me (still over Houston) but the Coastal Bend, where the storm came ashore, and the ‘Golden Crescent’ around Victoria (no idea how they came up with that moniker) where it spent most of yesterday were almost rain free. Then I read the expert commentary - the storm will not move except to drift south during the day and linger. We’re going to be under this at least through tomorrow, probably thru Tuesday and maybe through Wednesday and into Thursday.

This is bad, but for my little neighborhood, not as bad as the Memorial Day Floods of 15 or the Tax Day Floods of last year - we didn’t have the storms training over us for hours dropping tons of rain, the rainfall rates have been more manageable by the drainage system. Still, we’ve had too much. There are reports of water in houses in the easternmost part of my neighborhood - that’s never happened before to my knowledge. And Meyerland is getting inundated for the third year in a row. People have had 3-4’ of water in their homes before and this time it’s worse. Some people are reporting water on the second floor.

I’m sure I couldn’t get more than a handful of blocks in any direction before having to turn back. They’re emphasizing STAY HOME and telling people if you have an inch or two of water in your house, do not call 911, they don’t have the manpower or equipment to deal with all the calls.

I’m ready for this to be over with.

1 Like

Gee, it’s not like Jersey gets hit a lot. Florida yes, Texas 2008 Ike with 20 foot tides that rendered parts of the Bolivar Peninsula into a moonscape. At least Stingaree re-opened six months later.

1 Like

Bruce are you running off Gen power? I hope things are looking better soon. Prayers are with you!

Last I heard, there were about 200,000 without power in the metro area of close to 5 million.

I’m 5 or 6 miles n/nw of Bruce and have power, internet and cable, (in an increasingly more common occurrence, the Astros just gave up a late inning lead).

In fact, the water here hasn’t even breached the curb.

Not a wind event in SE Texas, just copious amounts of rain.

Breaking news, Astros 7 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Orange County and a piece or two of greater Los Angeles only 5.

An Astros/weather side note, my Granny and I had tickets to the only rainout/in Astrodome history. Another of many epic Houston rain events brewed up on a summer afternoon for a scheduled Pirates game.

1 Like

Thanks. No, lights flickered only once. As JC said, this wasn’t a wind event for Houston. Not yet, anyway!

Water has been over the curb here during the day and stayed when rain stopped instead of draining off quickly. There’s just no where for the water to go.

We couldn’t get out of our swankienda complex until 5 pm or so as we hunkered down. It looks like training action is setting up to the SW.

So much rain out here in Katy. And constant tornado warnings. Water not coming in apt yet but parking lot flooded & sewer overwhelmed. Backing up into shower. Wretched.

1 Like

Wretched and yuck! How are things now?

Yikes! Now that they opened the 2 dams in the middle of the night, we have a new threat of dam waters approaching but still a fer piece down the road so I hope we are spared. Seems to be south of Memorial 6 blocks or so now. and Memorial between BW 8 and Gessner is underwater from it too. People closest to Buffalo Bayou are all flooded.

I am loving the Cajun Navy that caravaned in from Louisiana, they are too cool for school.

Where we are, we are eating well. Smoked brisket I had in the freezer was lunch today.

How are you Jaymes?

3 Likes

Hanging in out here. Plenty of water all around, including little bit in my garage but, thus far anyway, apt still dry, cozy and climatized. Sewage issues have cleared up so took a nice hot shower. Daughter doing well, too. So grateful. Everyone else ok?

And, while I have you all here, fyi, Dim Sum was supposed to be last Saturday. Canceled. Next date Sat Sep 30, 11am, Ocean Palace. Hope more of y’all can come!

3 Likes

Ditto on the wretched and yuck. That’s been reported by a few people in this neighborhood even before now. Hasn’t happened to me.

Things sure looked better this morning. At 5 am my neighborhood Personal Weather Station had recorded only .33" rain since midnight, vs. 19" (!!!) yesterday. Rains have picked up again and the station is currently offline.

The Flood Warning System gauge nearby has recorded between 8 and 9" in the past 24 hours and 31" in the last 7 days. We only got about .12" rain last week before Friday so almost all of that is since Friday. And that’s MORE THAN HALF THE AVERAGE ANNUAL RAINFALL for Houston.

The house I’m in will probably be the last I ever live in but if I do get another one it gonna be on stilts.

Regarding those releases from Addicks and Barker I saw this on one weather blog:

“It seems probable that some homes near Clay Road and Eldridge, and in the vicinity of the Westpark Toll Road and Highway 99 will see water remain in homes for up to two months. That is not a misprint.”

I hope this doesn’t impact anyone here.

Only a handful of grocery stores are open aparently and many that are are limiting the number of people inside at any time. So even if you can get there, you’ll have to stand in line in the rain.

I can go for days without ever leaving my house and not think anything of it but tell me I can’t and I really get antsy. I sure would like to go wander through a produce department and browse up and down some aisles of canned and frozen food. And I’m out of ice cream, too. Forgot to stock up.

Stay dry everyone.

I see Jaymes has posted - good to hear.

3 Likes