After the hurricane in Houston,TX

“They” said Harvey would cross the Yucatan and dissipate over eastern Mexico. Then it would come ashore in Texas as a tropical storm, maybe a Cat 1. Then it mushroomed into a Cat 4 wrecking Rockport. We all know what happened after that but catastrophic flooding was predicted, I don’t think anyone expected the scale.

They also predicted Ike would hit Corpus Christi instead of East Beach Galveston.

Now there’s a little something in the Gulf that is not expected to intensify but…

Then there’s Irma approaching the Lesser Antilles, predicted to curve NE but some models have it heading west.

I have great respect for the hardworking folks at the National Hurricane Center but they rely on computer models and they generally go with the right down the middle consensus and freely admit they do not have a handle on intensification

I’ve been a weather junkie since I was a kid and go to NOAA Houston every day and read the forecast discussion. It’s kinda egg headish but not too hard to figure out.

They use the same models to predict local weather, we know about that. I read the discussions and frequently they say they have little idea what will happen due to model discrepancies.

Sorry about the ramblings but I have two takeaways in my 60 years. No two storms are the same and always keep your guard up.

Best of luck for everybody.

4 Likes

I know you’re in Florida so let’s hope these two peel off into the open Atlantic and become fish storms, not wishing any bad luck on fish.

3 Likes

I was on my train nerd website and they’re fretting about gas to look for trains, I’m light years behind these guys, saying there are long lines and outages in Central Texas. Almost all of these guys live in DFW/Austin. They should move to Houston, our train count destroys.

3 Likes

Daughter is working in shelters, often all night.
SIL is pulling out carpets, drywall and destroyed possessions at flooded neighbor’s.
Son is down in Corpus helping to rebuild friend’s devastated house.
I am answering Joel Osteen’s call to sit in my cozy dry condo and pray.

But I want to do more. Maybe when I’m sure it’s safe I’ll drive down to El Bolillo and help them get rid of some of their inventory.

7 Likes

Maybe I’ll join you! Most restaurants are open it seems, though some with limited menus. I went to Whataburger and it was drive through only and only combos 1-5. No. 4 for me please, unsweet tea. Thanky much.

1 Like

Well, there’s still a lot going on - but HO doesn’t need to be a clearing house of all the discussions, photos, lawsuits, etc.

There is something food related, though…

and then there are all the benefits being held by the food industry, volunteer work being done by chefs and servers, etc., just too much to keep up with.

8 Likes

I didn’t make it through all the Topo Chico during the hurricane and aftermath. Turns out, bourbon and Topo Chico are pretty good together though. Cheers. clink

4 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/chef-jose-andres-charity-feeds-1-million-in-puerto-rico/vi-AAtMAdg

3 Likes

If you’re a Google Earth user, they have new satellite imagery of Houston apparently taken about a week after Harvey came ashore.

It’s pretty telling.

(can’t ya be a pal to the tech challenged and provide a link??? Pleeeeeaaaaasssssseee!!!) :smiley:

1 Like

Google Earth is a stand alone program, not a website.

It’s a free download and I LOVE it and have been using for years.

If you want to DL it, here’s your LINK.

Hmmmmm I thought it was just when you searched an address and you can zoom into a satellite or street view of something. Didn’t know there was a specific program for it, thought it was just a function of google search. Thanks for the info and link.

I think maybe that’s GoogleMaps?

It might work but I don’t know if they have the same current imagery.

1 Like