Advice, or tutorials on cooking mushrooms

Have you tried roasting them? Plenty of recipes online. This is good:

2 Likes

Ah, that’s interesting. Whilst I can’t recall the name of the town where we stopped overnight (it was nearly 40 years ago), it was nearish to the Swiss border.

2 Likes

We having dinner at a local bistro type place. Looking back on my notes, I see I had a “mushrooms on toast” starter the last couple of occasions. Slice of toasted broche, fried mushrooms, mascarpone and Gran Moravia sauce (earlier version of sauce was cream & mustard). The current menu offering is - “Baked field mushroom, Roquefort, pecan sage crumb, paprika aioli, brioche” - and at a very civilised price of £6.95 (€7.87, $8.95)

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if there were any good-sized city in the US where you couldn’t get jagerschnitzel.

I suppose that’s another example of food following immigration patterns.

To the best of my knowledge, our metro area (population 2.7 million) has only one German restaurant (and that’s run by people of Turkish ethnicity). But then, perhaps unsurprisingly, the UK hasnt traditionally welcomed German immigration over the last century (and we seem set to return to that unwelcoming outlook).

2 Likes

That’s an excellent point. The US used to welcome immigrants. I just googled “san francisco german restaurants” and came up with things like the “top ten.”

So did the UK (although “welcome” might not be quite the right word - we have always had an ambivalent attitude towards foreigners). But the history between Britain and Germany during the first half of the 20th century means the red carpet was never thrown out for them as immigrants (a change from the second half of the 19th century when quite a number of Germans (and Italians) came to our city. By the by, one of my best friends at primary school was Karl. His Dad was German - a Luftwaffe pilot who was shot down, taken prisoner and decided to stay after the the end of the war - he became the village pharmacist.

6 Likes

This is how I cook them most of the time. I think the mushroom flavor becomes more intense. And there are definitely calories saved!

2 Likes

Just tried this, and it is an EXCELLENT method. Bonus: the mushrooms make a squeaky sound when you stir them, which is of interest to cats (or one cat, anyway).

6 Likes

Interesting. What kind of pan (if it matters)?

I usually put in a pat of butter and a splash of oil at the beginning, and then no more.

1 Like

Most often non-stick, but not sure it matters. I do add butter/oil once they start browning and releasing juices.

2 Likes

Another plus to the dry pan method is that the cooked mushrooms last quite awhile. I cook up the whole package this way and then use them through the week. They often stay good longer than they would have if left uncooked since the moisture has been removed.

4 Likes

Well, two points. First being, of course the US still welcomes immigrants, despite all the silly posturing of A Certain Fast Food Enthusiast. Second, for whatever reason there never was any large scale German immigration into California so I don’t think there would have been that big a market for German restaurants. The big area for German-Americans is the Midwest, and Pennsylvania/New York I guess. I remember a couple of famous German restaurants in Los Angeles growing up, but it seemed like an oddball cuisine to me and to most everyone I knew. It wasn’t until I moved to the East Coast that I was in a place that had a large number of restaurants and markets that served German/Central/Eastern European food.

3 Likes

Well, having lived in SF with loads of German restaurants, that’s my perspective. And I believe that a huge part of the US population don’t welcome “immigrants” at al.

1 Like

Made this today. Miso was added near the end.

A few simple ingredients were warmed in a saucepan and shredded chicken added.

Broth for quinoa is from oven-poached French Label Rouge free-range corn-fed chicken (seasoned with ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, onion, garlic). We ate some of the meat yesterday and now there’s a lot of broth left.

3 Likes

Sumptuous!

Only partly mushroom themed, but this vegan gravy really, really works:

2 Likes

Great video. Thank you for posting.

1 Like

Oooh, mushroom gravy is good stuff!! I haven’t made this exact one but certainly need to

Excellent, Robin.

I’m quite a fan of Fearnley-Whittingstall. I wonder if this recipe will have originated from his vegetarian period in 2011?