Advice, or tutorials on cooking mushrooms

In Germany you can eat Jägerschnitzel. Unbreaded pork filet topped with creamy mushrooms.

At home I make mine Austrian-style, with Speck dumplings.

Mushroom with linguine.

Found some old photos of mushrooms I bought.

Dried boletus and chanterelles.

2 Likes

Sounds scrumptious. I do something along the same lines with balsamic vinegar at the end of sautéing mushrooms, especially white button mushrooms that could use a flavor boost. They get a splash of vinegar at the end of the sauté time right before I pull the pan off the burner.

Note that when the vinegar hits the hot pan it can be lung-clearing in much the same way that cooking with chile flakes is. So beware of that part. :open_mouth: l’ll bet I could try this with soy sauce to achieve a similar result without that jolt.

2 Likes

Mushrooms I saw (and usually bought some to take home) in my travels.

Parasol mushrooms. In Austria you cook these like Schnitzel.

The price of boletus at home makes me weep, but it makes me smile in Krakow.

Most stalls also sell the dried versions. The risk is getting a bag with maggots so be careful.

At markets here at home. I have eaten everything I have ever seen.

Pink oyster

These are probably the best mushrooms I have ever eaten. Do the price conversion :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

Simple Saturday afternoon sandwich…a large Portobello into the toaster oven, stem removed, bottom up a touch of salt pepper , a splash of evoo…bake at 350 until they soften and sweat a bit. Remove and put some blue cheese onto it, back in the oven to melt the cheese. Remove give it a few drops of excellent balsamic and put on a potato bun…

Served without the bun as an appetizer

1 Like

& Don’t overlook mushroom soup. Recently the local supermarket had huge containers of mushrooms in the clearance bin ( $1.25 for a huge container) which lead to a big pot of Cream Of Mushroom Soup.

I recently tried Beech mushrooms for the first time. They were different from a lot of other mushrooms - stayed much firmer during cooking. I liked them a lot.

1 Like

I’ve had this (or something very similar) in a small German town years ago. I only remember it because of the “conversation” with the waiter - his command of Engish being limited to a few words, as is my command of German. Mine certainly not including “pilz”.

I was on the brink of ordering something else when he conjured something up from his schooldays that I understood from mine - “champignons”

4 Likes

Gorgeous. All.

I think your photos just amplified my original inquiry…

How does one incorporate Bluefoot, or Comb Tooth, or Lion’s Mane into a dish that complements their use…

As long as I remember having those in restaurants, lion’s mane is especially good if you integrate in a clear seafood or chicken broth. The texture was interesting.

1 Like

:thinking:

I used comb tooth and lion’s mane in a clear soup broth. Bluefoot was fried in butter. Too bad the colourful ones tend to loose their beautiful original colours when coming into contact with heat.

Also try Vietnamese straw mushrooms in stir-fries and braises. I get them frozen.

I am reading this in a mag. They also have it on their site:

2 Likes

Another mushroom for Chinese soup. A bit jelly like after cooking…

Snow fungus

They are always sold dried.

1 Like

This sounds delicious, would like to give it a try! Thx for sharing the recipe.

Are they the same as enoki? They are great for tempura.

with the super bowl coming up . . . .

trumpet mushrooms make for a great fried mushroom - the lower moisture content really works well and doesn’t result in a boiling hot interior liquid that squirts out and burns your mouth.

1 Like

Enoki, which I am a fan of, are different from beech mushrooms. The two are similar in shape, though the enoki I have seen here are smaller and more delicate.

Update: I realized that the brown beech mushroom is the one that I don’t care for.

Never steamed them. Long time ago, used to find shad roe in seafood section of supermarket, would fry them in bacon fat and just eat that but never see them anymore .

I think I have tried that too, they are called Buna shimeji, quite bitter. I read that one shouldn’t eat that raw (I like to eat raw mushrooms generally when they are fresh). The bitter taste will disappear after cooking. I think they can be used in hot pots.

2 Likes

The brown beech mushrooms I tried were still bitter in the finished dish, so that’s why those are off the list for me. Oh well.

1 Like

Something about the mushrooms and soy are an umami magic combo- the basalmic sounds amazing too but i know what you mean about inhaling it while cooking!

2 Likes

Mr Rat’s father was Swiss and this is one of the great Rat Family meals.

3 Likes