Ack! Out of eggs, any good replacement?

I was planning on making baked zucchini fingers (fries). Was going to toss them with seasoned flour, then dip in a whisked egg before rolling in seasoned panko. Then I was going to bake them at 425F for 20 or so minutes.

I have no eggs. Is there anything that could stand in for a substitute? Milk? Yogurt? Sour cream?

Or should I just scrap the idea?

Toss the zucchini fingers with a bit of mayo and then bread them.

3 Likes

Sour cream thinned a little with milk might work too.

Ditto. Mayo works incredibly well for this.

1 Like

I wrote this down from somewhere, although I haven’t used it yet: 1.5 Tbsp oil, 1.5 Tbsp water, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder equals one egg. Although this might be more for baked goods. But if anyone tries it, let me know!

Eggs do help leaven baked goods, but I don’t think one egg leavens nearly as much as 2 tsp of baking powder. Plus, excess baking powder can leave an unpleasant taste so I wouldn’t rush to try that one. Maybe 1/2 tsp B.P. instead of 2.

I ended up curdling some milk with vinegar. I used this in place of the egg. I think it turned out pretty okay.

Along the same lines as mayo, any creamy type of bottled salad dressing.

Thanks for the info…I do try to never be without eggs so hopefully I’ll never have to find out :wink:

1 Like

chickpea flour batter, but the taste and consistency are different.

I’m rarely without eggs, and can buy them (even organic) at the corner, but try not to, as they are more expensive.

Though not relevant as far as eggs for breading is concerned, this reminds me that “aquafaba” (which has its own HO thread), a.k.a. whipped liquid from canned chickpeas, is a vegan substitute for egg whites in leavening.

chickpea flour can be used on its own for breading; I’ve done fish with it and it turns out fine. Think of pakoras and other tasty (but oily!) Indian snacks. No, I don’t deep-fry the fish; I just shallow-fry it.