"A Genius Way to Upgrade Your Fried Eggs"

Tajin is in every store here in SoCal. The street vendors use it (or a version of it) on cubed fruits like pineapple, mango, jicama, watermelon, cucumber, etc. We use it on fruit and cucumbers at home, but it’s also great on grilled corn on the cob. Just brush the corn with a touch of melted butter or mayo and then sprinkle on your Tajin. We get some mexican brand versions here that have a bit more kick too, which are also really good.

Thanks to both Ttrockwood and boogiebaby for their comments on Tajin and TJ’s version! Good to know that sort of thing is available here.

Following up on the macadamia oil, I decided to go looking for it, and maybe the spicy version, and found my old supplier Oils of Aloha and – YES!! – “Pele’s Fire”, which is the chile-infused one. I remember that this was a hot-chile oil that brought no other strong flavors on board, while being hi-temp enough to pan-fry most things (within reason) without setting off my smoke alarm. Not that expensive, either – 12.7 oz. is $9, 32 oz. is $20, and shipping to mainland (USA only, sorry!) is pretty cheap.

2 Likes

If there is no bacon or sassage grease, I fry my eggs in buttah. A little Lawry’s season salt and cracked black peppah on the top.

Unless of course they are going with pancakes, where it’s just a little sea salt.

Gotta watch that paprika stuff, it burns easily.

1 Like

Well rape seed (canola) is a brassica species related to broccoli rabe and mustard, so if you didn’t like those flavors you might find it has a mildly unpleasant smell or taste.

I try to work with that flavor when using in recipes, especially if it calls for spicy.

I see it all over the place in NC-Food Lion, Kroger, Harris Teeter besides the Mexican grocery stores i my area…my bf in Chicago buys it all the time there…Pretty sure it is not jjust east of the rockies. If you can’t find the Tanjin brand, look for other similar products labeled “Chamoy”

I just purchased a bottle of “First Cold Pressed, Unrefined” Canola Oil from ALDI’s and it has that mustard oil smell and taste. A very different animal from the regular (“fishy”) canola oil.

1 Like