A Deconstructed Omelette…

A recently formulated concoction that has become a fav…

1.5 strips thick meat counter style bacon - cut into 1/4 inch chunks
Medium-fine chopped onion (about 1-2 Tbsp)
1 large mushroom - 1/4 inch+ chop
2-3 eggs
Grated swiss or cheddar

Add bacon to small non-stick skillet and bring up to medium low heat. As soon as you have some rendered fat, add onion and shrooms.

Bring up to medium, and stir occasionally, until bacon starts to crisp and onions caramelize.

Add eggs and rapidly stir to break yolks and evenly distribute and cook until they’re how you like them, seasoning with salt (careful here - there is salt in the bacon) and freshly cracked black pepper.

Top with grated cheese and/or salsa and/or avocado, sour cream, etc. and serve.

1 Like

Looks great. I’d tear that up. I love to cook with small amounts of bacon like that. When the onions and shrooms hit that hot fat, great things happen.

This is basically want Greek -owned restaurant omelettes look like across Canada. I seek these out.

I don’t like the French or American folded omelettes, with a plain egg omelette folded around a filling nearly as much.

My version at home uses leftover roasted potatoes, mushrooms and feta.

3 Likes

Beautiful food. The Greek places that sprouted by my old home made them similarly. I guess I’m not too fussy, though. I like omelettes many ways. My first one was copying Jacques Pepin. Still love the folded, among others. I’d still like to learn to make Scotch eggs. No guts nor time lately.

1 Like

Sorry, that just doesn’t look very appealing to me., I like eggs mixed so they’re all yellow and then proceed.

2 Likes

The marbled eggs are sometimes called Frambled. https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/fry-scramble-eggs-in-pan-article

1 Like

I’ll tell you one thing. You couldn’t pay me to work the breakfast shift at a restaurant unless I absolutely had to. Talk about a picky crowd.

4 Likes

Nice photo and nice foods… although it just looks like scrambled eggs, not “deonstructed” omelette.

3 Likes

Well, that is sort of what a deconstructed omelet is, right?

[Poorly] scrambled eggs, with accoutrements on the side.

Beat me to it. That’s not an omelet. That’s scrambled eggs with stuff mixed in, which I also much prefer over omelets.

1 Like

Scotch eggs are easy…I bake them because I don’t fry anything chez moi

Been there, done that. Such tales! I learned how to make over easy eggs for A holes that looked cooked but were raw inside. Also the skill you never get to use unless you have a big grill, flipping four at once with a big Dexter spatula. The four eggs are too much for a straight on from the side flip. So you angle the spatula and move quickly.

2 Likes

In Austin it looks like loaded migas without the tortillas. Pass the salsa.

2 Likes

I’m frying them. I don’t know how easy. Never made them.

Can I get that recipe, Tim? “Over EZ eggs for A holes.” I’ll title the recipe card thusly.

Over easy eggs appear to be cooked almost the moment you flip them. Of course inside they are still the texture of runny snot. It only works if the A hole orders over easy. Fortunately in most coffee shops people usually order over easy. Me, I ask for basted.

A family caregiver once waxed euphoric over the eggs her mother made her. “Bastard eggs”. “What?” “Bastard eggs. Haven’t you had them?” “Not that I know of.” “You put butter in the pan and add the eggs when it’s melted. Then you spoon the butter over the eggs while they cook. Over and over 'til they’re done.” “Ahhhhhh. Basted egs!” “What did you call them?”

3 Likes

ive enjoyed your discussion - my sense as to why so many places can’t just cook a sunny-side up egg anymore (really), it’s often cold on the top, and maybe the secret to @Vecchiouomo ahole over ez special is that the eggs are kept in the fridge and cooked when they are cold inside…ive found fried eggs are a piece of cake when the eggs have come to room temp, no basting, no covering needed etc…not to say those aren’t enjoyable and maybe i need to add bastard and ahole eggs to my repertoire…

1 Like

@Vecchiouomo wrote, “Me, ask for basted.” That probably makes you about a popular as i was in a small town coffee shop during breakfast rush when I ordered “poached eggs on rye toast”. I hadn’t realized the monkey wrench I was throwing into the line-cook’s work flow.

2 Likes

My secret (family secret- maybe it’s also mentioned above) for sunnyside up, to cook the top, is to start frying the egg, run a small saucepan lid under the tap for a moment, then place the lid over the egg as it fries, for a couple minutes. The small amount of steam cooks the top so it isn’t runny, but the yolk stays soft.

3 Likes