A Deconstructed Omelette…

Yup, exactly.

Or even simpler, is just to drop a bit of water with your fingers in the pan, then cover with a lid, and voila, perfectly fried eggs with crispy white edges, and warm runny yolks.

And something totally over the top, inject a bit of warm bacon fat (using a drop tube) directly into the egg yolk as the egg fries. Thank me later.

1 Like

Exactly, but no crispy edges, please, unless you want glowers from himself.

1 Like

I have started cooking bacon first, removing it and “toasting” the bread in the (or some of the) bacon fat. Then, wipe pan and cook eggs in butter or saved bacon fat. You can have the bacon. I’m happy with bacon-fried bread and eggs.

3 Likes

I sometimes wipe the remaining bacon fat from the pan with my bread that’s been toasted in the pan. Or make egg in a hole in the pan.

2 Likes

I like to microwave the bacon on paper towel and then use that paper towel to wipe the pan for egg frying

Better is to drop those eggs into a skillet of sausage grease - that’s special occasion material.

1 Like

Duck fat.

Very special !

Even makes broccoli taste good

2 Likes

Actually the stacks of cartons are not in the refrigerator much of time.

Having a lid or bowl handy is great for finishing fried eggs, melting cheese on burgers or warming a pile of grilled kimchi or hash browns through. For the last two, take off the lid or bowl for the last few minutes to restore the caramelized or browned finish. A trick for holding a tall burger together is to put toppings like Hatch peppers, grilled onions, kimchi, or even tomatoes and pickles on the burger patty, draping an oversized slice of cheese on top, and steaming it to melt it over the pile. Top it with a fried egg if the cheese was too thin. ;0)

2 Likes

ive been to spots in the south that use a hubcap to finish burgers

2 Likes

The most pop breakfast place up here can not only do eggs right, it is the same with bacon and hash browns. I used to be a fan, but the 50/50 chance I would get liquid in my eggs, translucent bacon, and greasy hash browns means I will no longer return.

Oddly enough, they switch their menu to Mexican around 5PM and there have been no problems (which probably means they need to replace their breakfast cook).

1 Like

yeah that’s one of the reasons why we rarely go out for breakfast – i don’t need to wait and pay real money for stuff i can do cheaply and better at home.

Breakfast out in Austin is invariably breakfast tacos, migas, or chilaquiles. I’d rather make my own and guzzle my own coffee, but every now and then I am out and about at breakfast time, and pretty much all of the various breakfast tacos here are good.

3 Likes

LOL… I can’t remember ever having a bad taco (I even love Jack in the Box tacos)… pretty much the same with burritos. I don’t think I have ever been served one with undercooked food.

2 Likes

what a dish!

3 Likes

My 2 cents on the scramble vs deconstructed discussion…

Scrambled eggs: discernible curds that (ideally) should be somewhat “fluffy” in appearance

Omelette: no discernible curds with ingredients folded within the (ideally) fluffy and flat(ish) egg

Deconstructed Omelette: no really discernible curds with ingredients mixed in (still can be in pieces - just not fluffy curds)

All three of these mix the yolk into the white, but all have a very different taste, texture, and experience. I prefer the deconstructed omelette myself.

1 Like

Your categories of omelettes don’t allow for Greek-diner style omelettes, with ingredients mixed into the egg. Not deconstructed. Often folded. Not plain egg around a filling.

1 Like

https://www.thekitchn.com/australian-folded-eggs-265169