A copper PSAf

On Etsy there is a copper turbotiere for $349. It looks as if even the tin is relatively unused. As much as I have always admired them, finding a whole turbot and the occasion to serve it are not in my future.

Turbot is not easy to find in my neck of the woods either, though the Asian market brings small ones from time to time that are about the size of a large tilapia. I’m that smaller size they would not require a Turbotiere since the smallest of these I’ve encountered is perhaps 14-16” in the long dimension. The pan is a work of art though that is tempting to purchase. I don’t own the more practical size, but about a decade ago I encountered a very large example that I could not pass up despite it being way too big to ever get used in my house. My dear friend suggested it might have been intended for a larger member of the same family, perhaps halibut.

Poached turbot, at least in the small size to which I have access, is a delicate and soft fleshed dish with a texture distinct from halibut as the meat is almost “crumbly” rather than firm.

1 Like

It’s a beautiful pan you’ve identified and a good value. It does seem to lack the poaching insert though.

I love fresh whole turbot and it’s also easily available here in Northern Europe.

It has become expensive though - around 25 to 30 euro per kilogram when they are on sale. And then one typically weighs between 600 grams and say 1500 grams. Usually I buy one once every 3 months or so.

While I love turbot, poaching would be my least favourite way to prepare them, so as much as I love old fashioned copper, I would not buy a turbotiere.

My favourite ways to prepare turbot are:

Italian style, baked in the oven with potatoes - see link
Spanish/Basque style, grilled on an outdoor bbq - link
Cantonese style, steamed with soy sauce and then drizzled with hot oil - link

I find turbotieres beautiful–very splashy display pieces.

Like others, they don’t necessarily need to be used for turbot or even poaching. Any flounder will do, as will pieces arrayed in formation. You can use the screen or cover as you please.

I knew an Italian chef who used an enormous one to roast 300 quail for banquets.

1 Like

That is quite the deal and one can use it for so many other things. When I got mine (also at a great deal) I figured it would be decorative for a while but have used it to make ox tails and lamb shanks. They make a lovely display when you bring them to the table. Hope someone one snaps it up!

1 Like

As much as I admire them, I think my copper collection is more than sufficient. The kitchen is full.

I’d be more open to one if I didn’t already have a salmoniere and large roasters. I might even prefer a couscousiere or steamer stack if I found a steal.

But they sure are magnificent, and nothing says “handmade” quite like them.

1 Like

Curseyou, K. Who wouldn’t want a couscoussier!

There’s now another one for $200, but that one ships from France and is more vintage. Seriously though not something I’d consider… I need a daubiere first. Curses to you all for having me check out Etsy for a look — so much stuff out there…

btw, I saw copper couscoussiers at the Williams Sonoma outlet sometime in 2021 – they had them dramatically marked down.

2 Likes

Still no daubiere?? I feel for you…

I have a daubiere but have no idea what to do with it. Whole rabbit? Rib roast for 12? I’ll look for videos to inspire me.

Nice, how big is yours?

I don’t have a daubiere myself. But I remember gooster wanting one for a very long time, and even refrained from buying a well-priced one at some point.

I personally have no use for a copper daubiere, would rather use my enameled cast iron!

Unless it is simply huge, a daubiere is an excellent choice for any of the bulkier roasts like pork or beef shoulder or leg of lamb. It is also great for smaller cut multiple items like 3x3 pieces of any meat, a traditional size for daubes of beef. Pretty much anything (other than deep frying) that you do in a seven quart ECI, a daubiere can handle it. I have one that is 19th century and dovetailed that is about 35 cm. I love it and use it enough that I am think of letting my large oval LC find a new home and start a new life.

Braising and stewing. The lapped-over cover is intended to seal in moisture and seal out ash. The former means you use and lose less moisture, resulting in a richer pot liquor. The tall walls are meant to accommodate taller foods (You can always put a cartouche over shorter things and stews).

Yes, a whole bunny would be great. So would a humble pot roast.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve consistently passed on purchases. I really haven’t been looking to be honest, as I managed to quell my cookware purchases. But with this thread, it was renewed (thankfully the internet and power went out and I could not shop on my phone fast enough),

I did run into a situation in which I was making boeuf en daube for a party and really wanted a bigger vessel. I would also like to make extra so that I can make some ravioli nicois afterwards. But I could also do different braises as well, especially short ribs for a large group, since they are so bulky.

After my last few cookware purchases, I have realized that I only should buy another item when I can’t make something easily with what I already have or if I have to replace a damaged item. I’ll spend the money on wine instead, very nice wine, of course.

2 Likes

Great call. A case of a truly great cab or PN will be less than most big copper items!