$ .74 (yes 74 cents) tipper from Colts Neck Inn going viral....................New Jersey

Hmm. Some people still stick with the old 15% standard. I know people who tip on the before-tax amount and some who simply double the tax to determine a tip regardless of service quality. When put in this predicament, I feel like 15% implies that I’m a cheapskate and therefore no awareness of my feeling of poor service. 10% sends a clear message but should be in addition to speaking with management if possible, IMO.

I’m “industry” and have been my entire life, so I admit I’m an over-tipper in almost all circumstances.

3 Likes

I get it. I was a chambermaid at a Seaside Heights motel a long time ago and over-tip the housekeeping staff of any hotel that I stay at.

2 Likes

Just came back from Europe where there’s no obligation to tip… so yeah, the system here is stupid. I don’t know how the restaurant business work but I would much prefer to have the service fee/tip in the price of the meal.

To be clear, in Europe, there’s no need to tip because service is always included.

Agree.
My problem is that our tipping system is not a true volunteer tipping system. If it is a true volunteer system, then people should able to give how ever much they want, but we don’t. We have expectation – strong expectation too. If you give anything less, then you are an assh***. So it is very much an obligation.
Since we have strong expectation and obligation to tip, then why not just have it as part of the meal.

6 Likes

Good. At least this will be clear.

Me too, but in the States you have to live with it.

1 Like

I appreciate when good tips are appreciated. Once paid a $73 tab (burgers and beers for 3 people) with a $100 bill and told the waitress no change was necessary. Although we were seated in the back of the restaurant, she made sure to make her way to the front to say good bye as we were heading out the door. Or when a waiter gives handshakes to everyone after a good tip is left. Or when a bartender sees you pick up your change off the counter and replace it with a larger bill for a tip and expresses thanks.

OTOH, I hate hearing complaints about bad tippers, no matter how justified. They should never be done in earshot of patrons and certainly not posted on social media. It says more about the business than it does about the bad tipper.

3 Likes

I can’t agree with that statement - like a lot of things in life, “it all depends …”

I agree with wizard. There can always be someone that goes rogue. Every company out there is at risk.

On an unrelated note, not sure I ever shared this story:

Out in Bumblefuck, Pennsylvania one day 5 or 6 years ago with a friend. Tiny little hole-in-the-wall breakfast place. Two enormous breakfasts and coffees came to like $10. My friend was paying so I left the tip. I threw $4 on the table. We left and as we hit the parking lot, the waitress came running outside after us because she was concerned we “forgot” the money on the table. When I said that was her tip, she was blown away. When my friend asked how much I left, I said $4 and he was like, “Yeah, that’s a lot of money out here.” We then asked the waitress where the nearest gas station was because we were looking for a place to buy ice for our cooler and she said, “Hold on” and went back inside. She emerged with a Styrofoam cooler full of ice for us. PA vs. NJ LOL

6 Likes

Yesterday. British gentleman. One glass of Sauv Blanc. Bill was $12.92. Change was 8¢. He says thank you and leaves the 8¢ as a tip. But… he’s British, so…

2 Likes

Frankly I think the guy who injected himself into this lousy moment is an ass. If I was privy to a lousy customer story and knew the waitress I would have left her a bigger tip on my own meal and moved on. Encouraging his response is why people treat each other poorly behind a keyboard just cause they feel like it. The bad tipper didn’t learn to become a better customer, he called a lawyer.

Lack of class all the way around.

5 Likes

This is the only thread on the Colts Neck Inn I could find so I’m posting this here. I use to like this place, they would have live music on the weekends, a decent steak and all around a decent local vibe. With an occasional “local” being obnoxious there wasn’t too much to worry about with this place and I have enjoyed it many times over the years. (it’s also quite local for me)

I had a “bad experience” during Covid here, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for what was going on and not hold that against them by publicly discussing it.

My experience last night though…walked in at 7:30 pm bar was 3/4 full one table occupied in bar area, dining room completely empty. We asked for a table in the dining room and were brought to one of the few 2 tops they had. (sure call me a spoiled brat, but I find it rather poor taste to sit a 2 people at a 2 top when they are LITERALLY THE ONLY TABLE IN THE DINING ROOM.
I digress…

Service was the normal “fine” - slightly above a diner but not anywhere near fine dining service. I ordered an unsweetened ice tea and it had a strong chemical flavor to it, I took one sip and left the rest. I had a french onion soup that tasted as if it either burned while cooking or the toast points they used were burnt, but the soup had a distinct “burned” flavor.

My wife ordered a hot open faced turkey sandwich and I ordered the chicken Milanese. I don’t know if you can tell by the picture but my wife’s dish came out and honestly a Hungry Man Turkey Dinner would have looked more appetizing, even in a tin plate. The gravy looked like dried brown paint on the turkey and had the chocolate pudding skin on top of it when it was served. It was luke warm at best and had zero appeal. It was just a completely lousy dish. My chicken milanese was actually pretty good and the chicken seemed “fresh” which i was truly apprehensive of.

The bread that was served was literally cold as well. All and all a rather lackluster meal which just left me feeling like they just don’t give a sh*t. I’m sorry but that was the distinct impression I was left with a place that just gave up caring. Needless to say, I’m not going back for a while…a long while.

5 Likes

Yeah, but how much did you tip? :grinning:

1 Like

That sheen on the gravy! Wow.

Here’s the real question - are there any actual good restaurants in Colts Neck? Not talking pizza or a deli.

1 Like

Does general store count?

2 Likes

The French Market just opened a second location in Colts Neck. Decent breakfast/lunch menu. Limited seating. A grab and go on the way home from Freehold appts lately.

2 Likes

Borderline :rofl: