6 pounds boneless leg of lamb...what would you do?

Even better for braising, IMO, is shoulder. The extra fat helps it over the long cooking period. Particularly important if you’re braising hogget or mutton which is going to take long than young lamb.

1 Like

Next time Im going to ask the butcher to grind a few lbs. Your suggestions are right up my alley.

A whole different world opens up.

Keema & peas curry
Koftas
Meatball tagine
Seekh kebab
Arayes
Kibbeh

The only issue is whether leg has sufficient fat for these.

Point taken. I like the idea of more recipe options as well.
I will read up!

Okay, so the lamb grilled kebab style could have used a bit more garlic but otherwise tender and tasty. That char makes such a diff. I skewered the meat with pcs. of spanish onion and garden baby tomatoes.

2 Likes

In the Middle East skewers are usually made of one item only, because they all have different cooking times.

Good to know. My stomach was pretty happy to enjoy the meal after hours spent planning it👍

1 Like

If you enjoyed it, that’s all that counts.

1 Like

A microwave head-start on the vegetables allows you to have various components on the skewer.

1 Like

I love Herbes de Provence, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, maybe some Dijon mustard. Mix it all up and slather it all over the roast, then roasted (I don’t have a grill).

1 Like

Oh, sure. There are always new ways. But if you don’t see a problem in advance, then you have to wait till the next time to try to solve it. If it’s a problem for you, that is.

Another reason to use mustard!!

1 Like

I picked up a big one at Costco last month, sliced into thick steaks (and two roast-ettes), and wrapped and froze them. The first steak I had this week was delicious.

1 Like

Nice marinade alternative for leg of lamb from the Bittman HTCE original book - a can of coconut milk, fresh ginger, fresh cilantro, turmeric, a chopped onion, salt & pepper. It’s great.

2 Likes

Wow. Yogurt, now coconut milk! Two ingredients I would have used in side dishes but never thought to slather on the lamb. Cool.

p.s. the original recipe called for two cans of coconut milk. I switched to one, with original amounts of everything else. Gonna have to make this again soon…

1 Like

That marinade sounds like it would work on chicken, seafood, and pork as well.

I am reading all the lamb dishes posted on other threads drooling over the dishes. I am so thankful for the advice and recipe suggestions. My wife and I had great meals this wk with your help.

1 Like

That would work. If you have a microwave …

Tagine or a lamb chili with chick peas. With fresh pita and labne.

1 Like