50 restaurants ... your last meal in N.J.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/03/the_25_best_places_for_your_last_meal_in_new_jerse.html
Congrats to Drew’s Bayshore Bistro on the shout out for its City Jambalaya. The dish is one of my all time faves.

That’s a pretty awesome list, I’m happy to see they kept it mostly low-brow. Good to see some of my favorite places on the list as well.

And am I the only one thinking a road trip to Walpack is in order after seeing that prime rib?

Nice…Fernandes and drews.

That prime rib does look good and those pizza pics were looking great too

I will have to go try the City Jambalaya and see how it stacks up to jambalaya back home.
I think the roast beef and mozz at Fiores in Hoboken is overrated.
The pork chop at Augustinos is excellent.

My wife will have to go to the Nip N Tuck to try the grilled cheese.

I have many places to visit

Let us know how the nip and tuck grilled cheese is. Hopefully you get one with some bacon :slight_smile:

I didn’t do the math, but is it me or are there not too many central NJ spots I’m on that list?

We may hit it up when we get back from vacation, leaving the country until next Friday

If they get to choose 50, I’m not choosing 1! In no particular order:

-Hot and Spicy Jumbo Prawns at Chengdu Palace
-Volcano chicken at Chengdu 23
-Kayla wings and brisket at JSBBQ
-Lamb chops at Aarzu
-Shrimp Beeps at The Belmont Tavern
-Denville Dairy
-A bowl of the Ani Ramen at Ani in Montclair
-Anything at Casa Vasca
-Octopus and fennel salad at Porta
-GreeN (not Greek) salad at The Greek Spot (aka Prassini)

These are a few of my faaaaaaaaaaaavorite things. :grin:

1 Like

Good list. I’m choosing:
Lamb shanks at Avenue in Long Branch
Crispy Red Snapper at Nemo in Hazlet
Moules Frites and/or Braised Short Ribs at Russel and Bette in Rumson
Lobster Roll at Luke’s Lobster in Long Branch
Barolo Braised Beef Short Rib at Fresh in Highlands
Zucchini Blossoms and/or meatballs at Black Swine in Sea Bright
Falafel and chicken schnitzel at the Lentil Tree in Asbury
Grass-Fed Beef Ribeye with Duck Fat Sweet Potato Fries at Cave’ Bistro in Avon

1 Like

Well, I am sure this means " what if you could have your last meal in NJ". What I actually have my last meal in New Jersey was at Fiamma Wood Fired Pizza in Westfield, NJ. I don’t claim it is the best pizza ever or most unique, but it does make good quality pizza at a affordable price.

https://www.fiammapizza.com/westfield

I haven’t been but I have a question for you guys…

I freaking LOVE cooking with wood/charcoal and if this work thing didn’t get in my way, I’d cook everything over wood. I just don’t get any smoke/wood flavor from these pizzas. This is from a guy that has probably 8 different types of wood for smoking in my garage right now, all types of charcoal, several different smoking set ups, and yet the coal pizza eludes me. It isn’t bad, I just don’t get the fad :confused:

If my last meal had to be local, I would sit at the chef’s table at Nicholas. I’d request the foie macarons as an amuse, asparagus with mushroom and scallop apps, two steak mains, and a chocolate and coffee souffle for dessert.

3 Likes

I am so disqualified in answering, but is it because of the amount of time? Most smoking processes take a long time, and pizza baking is usually quiet short, so many the wood flavor never get enough time to make a difference?

I’ve been to Wal Pak Inn at least a half dozen times. It’s a great experience, but make sure your GPS is calibrated.

Joon, that place place looks killer! It’s 1 hour and 55 minutes from my house though. That is a hike.

Speaking of places not around the corner, have you ever been to Sofrito or Indian Accent? Both are in my NY list.

Check this out. If this doesn’t make you hungry… https://youtu.be/0dezPRmXyCQ

@RGR or @NYCPA have either of you tried Indian Accent? I hear it is truly a world class dining experience

Well after reading this, I think you might take the same idea away…lol. I just read that as I was curious about the topic.

http://www.pmq.com/Leading-pizza-makers-share-tips-for-creating-perfect-pies-with-wood-and-coal-fired-ovens/

@corvette_johnny, Yes, we’ve been to Indian Accent several times. And, yes, the contemporary Indian cuisine is fabulous! Cordial, polished service and lovely ambiance as well.

This photo set of our first visit in 2016 shortly after it opened includes a few shots of the interior.

My Blog
My Flickr

1 Like

Nicely done! Those are some outrageous pics! I will get here…one day. I hope I visit soon. I’m a huge Boulevard brewing fan, and I can picture how this would go well with some different Indian cuisine. Farmhouse 7 is a wonderful ale. If your family and friends are into some nice craft beer selections, we have some very talented brewers here in Monmouth county. I think you are already aware though. We have some crappy ones too lol.

"Wood- and coal-fired pizza ovens also provide a strong marketing advantage to pizzerias. " I do think sometime we as customers are responsible for some of the stupid things happening. Take beer for example, everyone in the beer business know that a can is a better way to preserve beer than a glass bottle. However, any mid to high end beer sellers know they cannot sell their beer in cans because customer will think can beers look cheap. Boxed wine is another example:
“Stays Fresh Longer. Open boxed wine can last six to eight weeks, and even longer if you keep it in the refrigerator. How long can you store an open bottle of red wine? Maybe 5 days. Not only does the plastic bib seal better than its glass counterpart, it’s also environmentally friendly.”
http://winefolly.com/review/boxed-wine-benefits/
"What’s more, boxed wine is superior to glass bottle storage in resolving that age-old problem of not being able to finish a bottle in one sitting. Once open, a box preserves wine for about four weeks compared with only a day or two for a bottle. "

There aren’t that bad, but there are some really stupid things out there.

I am definitely not free from these responsibilities.

The food at the Nip N Tuck is pretty decent, including the GCOW- Grilled Cheese Of the Week. I am partial to their Jersey Burger. Ask for the Cholula Chili Garlic Sauce. I have used half a bottle on one burger. Delicious.
IMG_20171211_192217996

1 Like

They also do requests, so would probably do a custom Grilled Cheese.
Here is a BBQ Veggie Burger they put together.

1 Like