4 things you are peeling wrong..............

I will try it too, but I am certain that I will go back to my previous method. The idea of cutting, boiling, and then peeling – seems actually more planning and possibly more work. The only advantage I see is that maybe this method (of hand peeling after boiling) preserve more nutrients.

The potato one just seems to take way too long. I can peel a potato in less than 30 seconds. Why would I want to boil it for 15 minutes and then cool it down and then rub it to remove the skin?

5 Likes

Maybe just a way to (passive aggressively) annoy your boyfriend or girlfriend…

4 Likes

I assume so, and cooking spuds with their skins on absolutely retains more flavor.
I prefer steaming as it’s faster, and uses less water and energy. My mother always boiled peeled potatoes. Back when she lived with me, I was microwaving peeled, quartered spuds in a covered bowl, with a little water - which is pretty much the same as steaming on the stove. She marveled at how much more flavor these had. Stab a fork into the cooked spud, hold the handle upright, then scrape away the skin with a small, serrated knife - even a plastic one will work. The skin of Yukon Golds peels away especially easily.

1 Like

Exactly . They’re really trying to reinvent the wheel .Potatoes have been around for how many thousand years ? Think it’s figured out by now .

3 Likes

Not sure where they purchased the metal cups in this video. I had water flying everywhere when I tried to peel an egg like they showed. Need an exact fit.

Take a look at Kenji’s take on boiling eggs. No pricking needed.

1 Like

I have a large pin. Safety pin, needle work as well.

1 Like

Why? Why Linda? I’ll tell you why, because if you do this you will think of me each time you do it. You will think; “Geeze that NotJr is one hell of a guy, sharing these secrets of the world with us…no wonder he is such a Spud Stud”.

Listen to the Spud Stud Linda, he would never steer you wrong.

3 Likes

Barware - I think it was just a cocktail shaker set.

2 Likes

Yes, you are 100% correct it was a cocktail/martini shaker.

Hey, Mr. Potato Head! :slight_smile: (And your avatar has the Mr. Potato Head Nose, so this is perfect!)

2 Likes

The steaming method worked very well for me. At 13 minutes I have to use ice water, otherwise my yolks turn bright yellow. At 12 minutes I can use regular cold water and still have orange-tinged yolks. What a great method!

1 Like

I actually use the “boil first” method when I make mashed potatoes, using the fork method your mother did, and I certainly never needed to pre-slice the peel. I find it much easier than peeling a bunch of raw potatoes.

1 Like

What’s wrong with bright yellow yolks?

They’re more dry, compared to light orange/golden ones. Just cooked a bit more. Nothing wrong if you like them that way.

Ah. Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Personally, I’d rather use it to make a martini and eat the potato with the peel on.

5 Likes

How to peel a bucket of potatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo7K6CUCudU

Of all the things that might prevent one from doing this, I’m prevented by laziness. But it does seem to work.

1 Like

With Yukon or even Red potatoes, I buy them specifically so I don’t have to peel them :smiley: . But I will say that these days I am happy to microwave whole potatoes rather than bake them. It’s faster and I can’t tell a great difference, although devoted skin-eaters might like something crispier.

1 Like