4 things you are peeling wrong..............

Anytime I see something like this I love it. Can’t wait to try the hard boiled egg and potato.

Who knew you were supposed to peel a monkey from the butt?

6 Likes

Unless you have a disposal in your sink, the egg method leaves you having to strain bits of eggshell out of the water in the container, which would be annoying. Hard-cooking eggs via steaming (bring water to boil, put cold, large eggs into steamer basket, steam 13 minutes, then into cold water to cool) has ALWAYS given me an egg whose peel comes off in one piece once I’ve tapped/rolled it across the kitchen counter. I tried steaming after it was recommended on Chowhound. It’s even more reliable than Pepin’s method of piercing the large end before simmering, and works even on very fresh eggs.

The potato thing works but results vary depending on the variety of potato. I had bad luck with Russet (though it WAS an older spud), but the skin popped off a Yukon Gold, on its own, while it was still being steamed.

3 Likes

I, too, have been given the Get Out of Egg Peeling Hell Free card by Sedimental on CH, the person who shared the steaming technique most often and descriptively. Works with the freshest eggs, even, as long as you get them super chilled first.

Great. I did everything wrong – apparently.

1 Like

Does the steaming method work on true free-range eggs? The eggs I get at the farmer’s market are very difficult to peel, even after sitting for a couple weeks. If I have to peel a lot for a recipe, I’ll just purchase supermarket eggs.

Yes, it works on extremely fresh, pastured eggs. The chilling completely through and through is key to success, and gently cracking them a bit as they soak in ice water. I peel under water in the ice water or under running water, too.

Thank you! Don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to steam eggs before.

1 Like

Enjoy! Just a note; I find that I have to steam them a bit longer than 13 minutes for large and for a lot more for extra large and jumbo. If you test one, you can put them back in no problem for a bit more cooking til you get your timing nailed. I mean for a tender, deep yellow, too, not a hard, dry yolk.

I didn’t need the video to tell you that CK.

Do you mean the pastured ones take longer than supermarket eggs, or that in your experience all large eggs take longer than 13 minutes?

Audio then?

1 Like

I get the fresh, fresh pastured ones and find that leaving them on the counter for 24 hours and pricking the end before steaming does the trick.

1 Like

That’s a question I never considered. I don’t think it has to do with pasturing, I think it has to do with both size and how rollicking a boil you have it on. Most folks are happy with 13 minutes for large eggs. I also keep my fridge not much above freezing (foods keep forever that way, really fresh), so my eggs are degrees colder than most folks, I suspect. That could also be why.

The person who offered the tip was using uber fresh eggs direct from farmer day of laying.

As an experiment I just tried pricking one by banging on a toothpick, but the shell cracked. So, umm, how do you prick your eggs? It must be obvious; I’m going to feel really silly.

A sewing needle works, or a pin. But there are actually egg piercers out there - a one-trick pony, but it sure does that trick well.

Thumbtack, but when I steam eggs, pricking is unnecessary.

Who in the hell peels a potato like that . I use a paring knife or a vegetable peeler .

3 Likes

So do I but I’m going to try this method!

I tried the potato one and it didn’t work so great with white potatoes. The skins are too thin. The skins started breaking as I tried removing them.