30 National dishes from the Caribbean

From 24/7 Tempo

I’ve been to St. Thomas and St. John (US Virgin Islands) but otherwise here (Houston) I’ve experienced Cuban, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Trinidadian - Puerto Rican was the best.

Currently looking into Domenican and more Trinidadian.

4 Likes

I didn’t notice Buss Up Shut being mentioned.

Other favourite Trinidadian dishes I like: curry chicken roti, pholourie, doubles.

Guyana and Trinidad are known for their curries.

Black cake across the Caribbean.

3 Likes

They picked 1 “national”dish per country / island, so it’s going to leave out a lot of stuff most people are familiar with.

2 Likes

As listicles go, I actually learned a couple of things, which is net positive :joy:

1. Curry powder has even more names than I knew — “Colombo powder” I’m assuming is a reference to Sri Lanka.

2. You can stuff cheese :flushed: — also the Edam reference was interesting.

3. Frog = “mountain chicken” — interesting rebrand!

4. Fungi = Fangui = cornmeal / polenta.

4 Likes

Reminded me of Caribbean DOTQ, which I never explored sufficiently.

3 Likes

“… peas, the latter usually meaning pigeon peas, a green pea relative…”

Yay! I win! This is a regular debate in my home, along with how to pronounce plantain.

I’ve not heard of the “spicy plantains” in St. Kitts and Nevis, but it sounds worth exploring.

ETA I’m curious about the ads the rest of you are seeing on msn. I’m getting Fox Farms fertilizer and a bidet. :thinking:

1 Like

What is?

1 Like

What is the right legume to be served with rice. Husband et al says red beans, either small or kidney :roll_eyes:.

Yardies.

2 Likes

Must be regional variance, right?

1 Like

Apparently! I didn’t realize that until we married. He still doesn’t realize it!

Check out my Scotch Bonnet seedlings. Third generation I grew from seeds from his mom’s peppers.

So many landraces!

8 Likes

What’s it been? 40 years? Give him a little time.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Those are gorgeous!

If I had any comfort I wouldn’t kill the plants in nyc, I would ask you for some seeds :joy:

1 Like

I went to high school with girls from many of the islands. Off the top of my head, classmates were from Trinidad, Dominica, the Bahamas, St Croix, Jamaica, Barbados, Montserrat, Nevis, and St Lucia.

I remember many debates around the dinner table about rice and peas (vs peas and rice, as they’re called by some Bajans), curry chicken, pepper sauce, roti, doubles. :rofl: I was lucky enough to have a week of home cooking in Barbados the week before a wedding in which I was a bridesmaid back in 1996.

Lots of regional variations and preferences on the islands, and among the islands. :rofl:

Now I’m in a peas and rice rabbit hole.

6 Likes

I travel to the French Caribbean islands regularly. Colombo style dishes are very common. It’s a mild curry blend typically made with coconut milk. I am a fan of it. I’ve had fish, goat, crab, chicken, pretty much every kind of protein available Colombo style.

2 Likes