2023 New York Food Crawl - Day 2 ( cont'd )......Los Tacos#1, Shake Shack, Joe's Pizzas, Ichiran Ramen

After implementing some rigid dress code and table etiquette at the Michelin 3* Le Bernardin this lunch time. For dinner, we decided to put on our jeans and sneakers, prepared to get our hands and fingers dirty by going on a super-casual, ambitious ‘fast-food‘ run.

We hit some of the most popular touristy fast food joints that happened to share a ‘common denominator‘… all the places had a long wait line outside and the wait time was at least half an hour! Well, thank God the weather was nice and it was worth the wait since they all served up some pretty darn good, value-for-money, tasty food………except one! - ICHIRAN RAMEN

Whilst in Roppongi, Tokyo, I recall paying an equivalent of US $8 for a bowl of Tonkotsu Ramen with Pork Char-Siu and Soft-Centered Egg topping. Here in the Big Apple, a similar bowl costs me a whopping US $25!!!..and for that extra salted soft boiled egg, they charged a F%^!#$ng US$ 3.50 for it!!😠🤑😝

For me, my favorite bites of the evening were the ‘El-Cheapo’ Carne Asada Corn and Wheat Flour Tacos from Los Tacos #1 and the well crusted and juicy Smashed Burger with Bacon and Cheese from Shake Shack.👌😋

8 Likes

Agreed—that bowl looks sad and soulless to me. Looks similar to what I have for breakfast at home (except mine is vegan and I daresay tastier).

Importantly, how was the pizza?

1 Like

Pizza was very good!!

1 Like

That taco line is totally crazy close to lunch and dinner, but its a breeze before or after (ie as a snack).

What made you choose Ichiran over say Ippudo?

Had both of them before. Just personal preference, I guess?! Somehow, find Ichiran noodle more to my liking.

1 Like

If you go to Los Tacos right before they close, they’ll serve you a plate of the meat scraps (with nice charred edges) from the trompo for something like $10 (or less depending on how persuasive you are), or gratis if you buy one of their T-shirts.

3 Likes

I went both to the Midtown and Chelsea Market one. I thought the food at Chelsea mkt was a bit better, plus they make excellent cocktails. Not so el cheapo in the end because we ended up ordering more and more including cocktails because it was all so good! Will definitely return end of the month when I’m back in NYC.

good stuff charles! i think of joe’s as the canonical nyc slice. if we have a vistor who hasnt had nyc pizza, joe’s is always the first stop. and it doesnt really matter which branch, they have processes in place to ensure consistency accross locations.

Loved the tacos at Chelsea Market, but then I love Chelsea Market. I’m such a tourist :joy:

3 Likes

I love Chelsea Market and I’ve lived in Manhattan since 1983.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was being facetious. That pizza looks pretty terrible to me, TBH, and comparing a ramen bowl one had in Japan with one in NYC at a trendy place is like me complaining that som tam at Zaab Elee is twice the price of the same dish in Bangkok. Add the flight and I think having it here is still a better deal :smiley:

Nah, Joe’s is good. Not my favorite, but I’d never turn it down.

1 Like

I wanna try Roberta’s some day…

I had it at a festival. It didn’t stand out in my mind, but I know it has a really passionate following.

really, what about the pizza looks terrible to you?

I’m generally not a huge fan of NY-style pizza - too floppy, too much cheese, too greasy. Blasphemous, I know… but I prefer Neapolitan pizza.

Joe’s Pizza is the quintessential NYC slice.

The crust is thin and chewy with a nice crisp outside, and you can fold it without shattering it like a cracker. Sauce is flavorful and balanced judicially with low moisture mozz (i.e. not the fancy shit you get at sit-down places like at Keste or Rubirosa, for example).

Is it the best pizza in NYC? No, of course not.

It is, however, the best NYC slice.

A close second would be Scarr’s.

4 Likes

I would put Scarr’s ahead of Joe’s, extra points for the opportunity to enjoy a cocktail with your pizza. And I have a (very) local favorite, Grand Street Pizza.

I also don’t really have a favorite kind of pizza. But I don’t like Detroit or Chicago or (good lord) Buffalo.

I feel like a cocktail with a NYC slice is sort of like having a cocktail with a Costco hotdog.

Not that I would turn down such a combo (a cocktail with a NYC slice or a Costco dog), but it wouldn’t necessarily be something top of mind, however.

The crust on Scarr’s is definitely more high end, and it is great stuff.

1 Like

Agree!! We ate at Chelsea Market too…followed by 5 dozens Cherry S

tone clams at Lobster Place ( pissed off the two shuckers big time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

6 Likes