2023 New York Food Crawl - Day 2 ( cont'd )......Los Tacos#1, Shake Shack, Joe's Pizzas, Ichiran Ramen

I love that seafood place & sometimes fantasize about gorging myself to death there :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

1 Like

But isn’t wetness (for lack of a better word) one defining characteristic of Neapolitan pizza, thus forcing the diner to eat the pizza with a knife and fork? I’ve never been to Naples but the “real” Neapolitan pies I’ve had Stateside (eg, Babbo) tended to be nearly soupy in the middle. I remember mentioning this on CH and I was informed that that is the style.

2 Likes

not at all, we live at the epicenter of nyc-style pizza but probably average a slice or two every couple of months. I prefer what comes our of our oven which is usually pan or “nyc elite” style.

we could have a long discussion about whether floppinenss in nyc pizza is a flaw introduced by the pizza maker (I believe it is) but let’s save that for another day, another thread.

best,

2 Likes

Let me correct myself, then. It’s mostly the amount of cheese & resulting greasiness I don’t care for when it comes to NY-style pizza.

While most Neapolitan pies I’ve had may require knife and fork (which I don’t mind - and why would I? I eat most foods with utensils), I’ve yet to have “soupy” pizza. That’s just undercooked dough in the middle & shouldn’t happen.

But generally, folks should eat whichever pizza makes them happy. Even cold, out of the fridge. Just don’t offer it to me.

2 Likes

I don’t get the hype for Roberta’s. Other than it used to be a ridiculous wait to get in a place packed with hipsters just so you could say you’ve been. I would tell you it’s not worth the bother.

1 Like

I won’t stand in line for many foods, least of all pizza. Def not in a ridiculously long line. There are plenty of places in Berlin that are so hyped that there is a line at all times. It can’t possibly all be that good.

Thx for the heads up!

Business trip to NYC again. After a pretty boring meeting in Midtown that ended at 11AM I made my way to Los Tacos No 1! No queues outside, could order immediately, and had a beef and pork taco. Really good again.

9 Likes