2023 New York Food Crawl - Day 1 " .........Casa Mono - Michelin 1* ( Spanish ) "

This popular, reliable and consistently good casual Spanish Tapas/Pintxos eatery has been our perennial NYC favorite for years. Offering a diverse range of creative and exotic ‘tough-to-decide’ dishes from a compact menu, reaching a decision could be quite a challenge. After some gargantuan effort and debate, our party of ‘famished’ 4 finally settled on the following:

• Ensalada mone Manchego & pimenton marcona almonds

• Razor Clams a la Plancha

• Bacalao Croquetas

• Fideos, Chorizo, Clams & garlic sherry aioli

• Sweet Bread, fennel al mone and marcona almond vinaigrette

• Lamb Belly marcona mole and sungold tomatoes

• Piquillo Peppers braised oxtail and Jamon Iberico

• Foie Gras cino cebollas

• Crema Catalana Bunuelos de Laurel ( Bay leaves fritters )

Overall, the food was still very tasty and good, though I did detect a slight slippage in quality and execution ( result of staff attrition caused by Covid? ). Case in point, the slightly overcooked Razor Clams and Croquettas. However, there were more than enough lip-smacking goodies to offset these short-falls… the salad with ’ one-of-the-best-tasting dressing ’ was such an example. As in the past, the gorgeously sauced, huge slab of seared Foie Gras was another stand-out…as was the crispy Sweet Bread…

A most enjoyable first meal. For me, the most important factor was that, I got to enjoy and share such delectable food with my loving family!

8 Likes

Nice report.

I really like their duck egg dish. Pig ears good too.

1 Like

Thank you for the many reminders of why I love this place! Need to get back there soon…

1 Like

Do they offer paellas there?

Don’t think so.
Mercado, Little Spain, Hudson Yard does though!

Amazing spread, Charles!

Good morning Peter! Yup! LOVE Spanish food! In fact will be heading there next April.

1 Like

Lucky you! Barcelona, Sevilla, San Sebastian, Madrid? Some of the best food in the world there.