2023 Goals or Resolutions, or Dishes you want to make, or master?

Anyone have any goals set out?

I’m thinking about focusing only on nicer meals out, maybe less frequently - and less mediocre meals. I already lean towards supporting small business when I can.

I’m also thinking about keeping closer track of what I order when I’m out, and what I cook at home.

3 Likes

My biggest goal in the New Year is to cut back on alcohol - it is not my friend. I have intermittently gone dry (biggest success was 8 weeks). I felt well and was productive. But DH always has it around and I fall back into the buzz. And so it goes…

7 Likes

I wish you the best of luck with your goal! I haven’t been drinking much over the last few years. I’m almost a teetotaler at this point. I had a few cocktails during the summer- a couple leading to a couple regrettable impulsive text messages in August. :grimacing: I don’t deal with hangovers well anymore. I think my last drink was a rye and ginger around September 25th.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s a love hate relationship for me, and as I get older my body does not process alcohol well. A way to escape and mellow, then feel like total shit after I do.

2 Likes

In a month’s time, I will have been tee-total for 23 years. I still regard it as a struggle so I suppose my goal is to keep dealing with it, one day at a time.

9 Likes

That’s what I have to do…

3 Likes

I am hopeful to try more new recipes, a resolution I make almost every year, yet mostly end up falling back on tried and true favorites :frowning:

I’m also hoping to add more vegetarian meals on a weekly basis - like a couple of soup & salad days.

I’d cut down on booze from 5 days to 2 days a week (give or take), initially to lose weight, with no effect whatsoever. So, I’m not as invested in that as much.

4 Likes

Me too. I have a fair amount of weight to lose and am not getting any younger. I need to make some changes

I can still eat meat…just would like to be more plant based.

4 Likes

To make it through another year healthy.

7 Likes

I have been lucky to have had Mr. home during the pandemic years - he is now consulting and not working ft. So that means a built in creative cook. It also means I don’t exercise that muscle.
So the goal for me is to make the time and have the energy to cook dinner once a week from our farmer’s market bounty.

4 Likes

I don’t think I have any specific goals/resolutions beyond continuing to make more mostly fish, seafood, or plant based meals during the work week (and to actually follow through on making them, rather than getting delivery), along with saving any alcohol consumption for Friday/Saturday. We’re going to continue our monthly fish and seafood subscription box and I just bought a whole bunch of beans from Rancho Gordo.

That being said, when it becomes warm enough to be feasible again, I do want to take more advantage of our outdoor electric grill and electric smoker. I feel like they barely got any use last year because every weekend that seemed like we might have time, it rained.

6 Likes

Last year I set out to explore the rabbit holes of both scones and biscuits.

I did a pretty good job of scones, but never really got to the biscuits.

Currently, I don’t feel similarly compelled by any one project, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be at some point.

5 Likes

Can you share any more info on the monthly fish subscription? I’d like for us to eat more fish (which means learning to cook it properly) but I don’t love the options I can find locally.

1 Like

This is the subscription box, although they are currently sold out (my subscription is actually delayed this month; fortunately, I still have some from earlier deliveries waiting to go in my chest freezer). If you click through on the wait list, they will get back to you as soon as there is an opening. You can also choose, instead, to set up a “Choose Your Own” subscription. I like this particular service a lot! They do a nice job sending very fresh, well trimmed and (usually) de-boned fillets (I check everything over before cooking and occasionally need to take the fish tweezers to things). They also work with suppliers like Clean Fish to ensure that any farmed products are not environmentally impactful. I was going through Browne Trading before this and, while I still like them a lot, they really do cater more to restaurants, rather than small households. So, a lot more breaking down of large shipments and doing my own filleting and de-boning with them. I still use them for Peekytoe Crab though (when it is in season).

5 Likes

I have a couple things I want to learn.

1. Sancocho - loved eating this soup in NYC at my local Dominican joint. I want to learn to make it at home.

2. Avocado curry - my favorite dish at my favorite Thai joint in Manhattan, Wondee Siam. Time to figure it out!

3. Japanese home cooking - I like the Japanese way with vegetables and want to learn some of this technique.

4. Wok - I got a nice wok last year and learned one or two things, but I want to expand my repertoire.

5. More soup. When I was first learning to cook I made a LOT of soup, but have fallen off. I want to revisit this.

6. More varied protein, especially fish.

7. Stretch goal: Edible flowers. I tried to grow some from seed last year, and had a 100% failure rate. If you want to eat them you kind of have to grow them from seed, and I just didn’t succeed at this.

6 Likes

Those are lovely sounding goals! Much more than I have space for. I am slightly envious :wink:
For the Japanese home cooking, if you haven’t heard of it, I love the book Washoku by Elizabeth Andoh who teaching cooking in Japan. It helped me to relearn the basics from parts of my childhood as an adult.

4 Likes

Thank you for that reco!

1 Like

I just purchased a Ninja Foodi Multicooker and my mission is to explore the hell out of it this year. I’ve already been testing methods for cooking. So fun.

2 Likes

Ive made this resolution before but only followed thru for a few months.
My personal COTM. Pick a book a month from my collection and cook a few recipes.

7 Likes

Great goal & one I’ve wanted to embrace with my excessive cookbook collection. (Sigh)