2022 Veggie gardens!

Last of the peppers, first of the lemons!

An Aji Charapita!

Fake Scotch Bonnets

4 year old Aji Amarillo

6 Likes

4 years…Wow! It is looking tired though, LOL!

1 Like

You should see the other guy (me!) :grin:

3 Likes

Today I had what MIGHT be the last of the chard and the mustard greens. Or it might not!

3 Likes

Neighbors mandarins/tangerines!

4 Likes

Wow! Those look amazing!

2 Likes

And they smell so good. Unfortunately, son is “allergic”.

Oh, damn! I have a reaction to grapefruit, but not enough to keep me from eating it.

Oh no! What will you do with them?

1 Like

I always seem to ask myself that after the fact. But he’s grown. He has “Oral allergy syndrome.

My company offered a selection of holiday/end of year gifts for employees, and one was an indoor herb/lettuce garden that operates with a grow light. I couldn’t resist - that’s what I picked. I’m not even sure I’ll be gardening next year, which breaks my heart, so I’ll have to pour all my love and attention into this little indoor thing.

5 Likes

May I ask - why no garden?

Probably returning to nyc.

3 Likes

I will share with you all my balcony gardening information! If you have some outdoor space to green up.

3 Likes

There are a lot of very energy-efficient LED lights out there, if you want to expand. I just picked up one of these, from CA Lightworks.. That’ll cover a 4x4 foot ( 1.2x1.2m) area, at least. I’m hoping to grow basil, dill, arugula, maybe pea shoots (because they’re good and quick) and a small sage and Thyme. The last two usually die outdoors, do to the humidity.

The biggest issue is how to trap and remove water from under the growing containers. I’m thinking of using these tubs, fitted with a drain hose to run out a sliding glass door nearby.

2 Likes

So glad this thread is still active.

Best time in my usually too hot green house.

It’s starting to rain here, and I am about to submit an article on rainwater harvesting “for use when it’s hot and dry”.

I bought three repurposed food grade “rain barrels” in the interest of research.
This is interesting.

So different in different climates and locations.

And planning for 2023!

1 Like

Big changes in store for you! Sending good karma your way.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate that. Rethinking the idea constantly because of c-19 numbers…

1 Like

Fun! Water has become pricey in many areas.

We use repurposed barrels to catch filtered water from a reverse osmosis system in the greenhouse. The color of the plastic is a concern: opaque/translucent barrels allow you to see how much water is inside, but algae will start growing. I’m thinking of sewing together a removable weed fabric cover.

Blue or colored barrels can get hot if the sun is on them in hot climates, so they’d need shade in those conditions.

Yes, it’s that time of year!

1 Like

Fava beans are sprouting, but something is digging them up!

Something keeps digging everything up since I started watering more. I’m calling it cultivating.

1 Like