2022 Veggie gardens!

@bogman , I’m about to plant garlic again, this time with some insect “Agribon” at the ready.

In thinking about the info you’ve generously shared about onion maggots over the years, I would love to think the main risk is when flies lay eggs on the leaves. Does that sound right? Would it be okay if I don’t get the cloth on the same day I plant?

Edited to add : Looks like nope.

Agriculture: Onion and Garlic Pest Management Guidelines

I really wish I could plant this creole garlic in the ground instead of these 5 gallon buckets. We surely have plenty of fresh garlic available, but not scapes. I’m only going to be able to plant five or six cloves in each of four buckets. But watering on a clay slope is just impractical right now.

1 Like

Our first real freeze, and some snow. Not much relative to some areas, but a big deal in these parts.

We’re wintering over peas and spinach. In preparation for the weather I doubled down on the cloches, and then put a sheet of plastic over that. In the little (heated) greenhouse - Meyer lemons.

4 Likes

That looks so pretty! We have been complaining that it’s unusually cold here, but it’s all relative.

Here’s my Meyer Lemons; not as pretty, nor productive.

I have some stonefruit, struggling in barrel liners, and I am about to give up on the two pluots. Not giving up on the Blenheim apricot just yet, although I would love to find a spot for it in the ground. So far I’ve cut them back somewhat drastically.

I still plan/hope to spray this week with all season oil. I get a lot of aphid damage in the spring.

My favas continue to grow slowly, peas ( Sugar Daddy) taking their time to sprout ( or rot).

Potatoes are still looking good; they are probably about 3 months old, no flowers, and the greens will likely freeze in January.

Does anyone have a garlic pre-soak ritual they prefer? I remember when folks scoffed at the idea, but now there seems to be many.

This one is a “How and Why”

Here’s another one;

Here’s one from a Pam Dawling handout available on the internet

Almost time for a 2023 thread!

2 Likes

While the Seedcorn maggot may lay eggs on the soil, near the bulbs, Onion maggot flies tend to lay eggs on foliage. You could have either, but the Seedcorn version is likely more common in your area. Putting the Agribon/Reemay over the bulbs after planting might stop your mystery digger from unearthing the bulbs.

I’ve never soaked garlic before planting. Planting time here is usually means wet soil. I do add fertilizer before planting, to provide mostly phosphorous, which doesn’t travel well downward (to the roots), because clay soils, found here, tend to bind it. I top dress with fertilizers in the spring.

1 Like

We’re heading to very cold nights, 10–12°F! Glad I dug the water chestnuts!

3 Likes

I started sprinkling chicken manure on top of the dirt to keep the squirrels from digging up my bulbs last year and it works wonders.

3 Likes

:rofl:

With a squirrel’s keen sense of smell, it poultry manure must blast their little brains!

2 Likes

Oh wow, @MunchkinRedux ! I would kill for a green house like that – KILL! My little citrus plants and lavendar plants would be so happy in the winter in that. Instead I watch the citrus shed leaves and just flounder in the winter in my house. :unamused:

2 Likes

Huh…didn’t know that was a thing. I have to try that next year. Instead, I just put a few layers of gardening mesh on top this year, held down by rocks. It’s better than nothing, but I have to be wary of windy storms, like the one coming up the Northeast tomorrow. I caught one also digging into my garlic bulbs…little s**ts.

Lol! That’s my husband’s pet project (bucket-list thing). He micro-manages it. He has a remote thermometer in there, the readout of which is right near our back door (slider), where he can stand in the warmth of our breakfast nook and gaze, and check the temperature about 33 times a day. Retirement - aint it grand!

2 Likes

This is the hen manure I use.

Easy to pour. I apply it every couple weeks.

Also, for tulips, I start spraying a pepper-based deer/rabbit spray repellent after each heavy rain, after the shoots come up.

1 Like

@MunchkinRedux you have a huge garden and impressive crop where do you live?

@shrinkrap somebody is making a big sacrifice with the basketball court there! Nice mandarins from your neighbor I’m looking forward to the really good citrus coming our way. We just have lemons and meyer lemons. Rats in the city make fruits a challenge. They even eat my habaneros!

1 Like

Thank you! We live in the Pacific Northwest (maritime climate). Keeping a big kitchen garden keeps us busy and out of trouble.

1 Like

Yeah! Me! :grinning:

1 Like

sweet set up !

2 Likes

Thanks! Our property is on a slope, and the court is a way to make some of it flat.

More pictures earlier in this thread. This is one is my favorites.

5 Likes

Pick and roll?

1 Like

Ummm…okay!

I follow the Warriors…when they’re winning. Otherwise I’m not that in to it.

Ugh! 4°F (-16°C) yesterday morning means the figs will die to the ground; no figs next year.

Happy Holidays to all!

3 Likes

Eating a fresh water chestnut for the first time was a real revelation. So sweet and crispy without any can flavor.

2 Likes