2022 Veggie gardens!

Beautiful! I’d love a plan to use that.

How are everyone’s tomato plants looking?

I cut some back, and hope there is still time here to set and ripen fruit.

1 Like

Pickled pepper plan: served along side pizza, and on a hot dog on a bun. :yum:

Our slicing tomatoes stopped setting some time ago. In a normal year, we’d be into the rainy season and have harvested everything by now to ripen indoors. It’s been such a beautiful fall this year, with no rain on the 10-day horizon, we’ve left everything on the plants - maybe 6 or 8 tomatoes left on each plant. At the first sign of significant rain, we’ll pick them and bring them indoors to avoid splitting.

Our cherry tomatoes are in their death throws. Right now I’m looking at two big colanders full of them on the kitchen table, with maybe one more big pick left before they’re spent.

4 Likes

My yard is awash in the fragrance of Meyer lemon flowers. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: We are getting the remnants of Ian, so luckily they didn’t get blown away (some of my flower pots not so lucky). I have attempted to manually fertilize them so they can bear fruit. I saved a little fuzzy bee today who was sitting disoriented on a sidewalk (I think struggling with the wind). Maybe she’ll return the favor and give me a hand too.

6 Likes

Sweet!

3 Likes

After months of constant wet foliage, from heavy dew, rain, coupled with humidity over 95%, the tomatoes are toast, except for some struggling cherry and a Currant Tomato. The C. chinense peppers are fine though; good Caribbean genetics! All will perish soon though. Ian brought too much rain and it’s getting cold. It’s 50 degrees F right now, not good for tomatoes or peppers.

2 Likes

2 ° C this morning.

I planted a ton of fall greens so we will see how this month goes. The kale can stay in the garden all winter and the Swiss Chard came back after winter last spring. I’m treating my greens section of the garden as a perennial garden, and going to keep tending it as long as I can this year, which is a new thing for me.

5 Likes

With a nod to @mig, I’m still trying to out-gazpacho my garden. As long as we’re getting all three peppers, cukes and toms, I’ll keep making it. We harvested a good supply of red onion this year, also.

So far, I’m keeping on top of it, mostly because we have finally learned not to plant twice as many tomatoes as we could possibly manage. For the kitchen garden this year, we planted 5 slicing tomato plants and 7 grapette plants, and either gave away or ruthlessly disposed of all the other extra starts.

4 Likes

Some dandelion greens (planted for greens, from a packet) and cilantro . Might have frost this week.
Most basil had a touch of frost.

5 Likes

I think I gotta make one more small gazpacho batch…

1 Like

This is the year my husband decided he likes gazpacho. :unamused: Good for him, less for me.

4 Likes

Here’s a funny thing. I’ve grown cherry toms, and the reason besides they are delicious is because they start to product faster - a boon in PNW with our shorter warm season. A couple, three years ago, I bought a packet of green cherry toms (or maybe they are grape, cause they are kind of large) from Territorial Seeds. One baddy is that it is super hard to tell when they’re ripe. Unlike a Green Zebra, which actually turns a bit yellow when ripe, these cherry toms go from green white to green green. So you never know. The other baddy is that they take for-literally-ever to ripen. I’ve had a ton of 8-10oz tomatoes grow ripen and be picked while these 2" divas are still clearly unripe. I tried to look up green cherry toms (I used up the seed packet and threw it out) on Territorial’s website to see if I could get more insight into this varietal, and they’ve stopped selling them. There’s not even a ghost of a mention on the website. So I am just stumped. What in heck are these cherry toms that won’t ripen long past when their much bigger cousins are good to go? Not nec a question for @MunchkinRedux but in general.

2 Likes

I don’t have any insight into your green tomatoes, but as a side mention: I’ve had really good luck with Ruby Crush, also from Territorial. They’re not exotic, but prolific and very sweet!

2 Likes

I saw your cute little red cherries. I personally love a sungold and haven’t grown any for awhile, so I may revert next year. I’m also intrigued by some purple/black cherries that I’ve seen local folks post on the facebook gardening forums.

2 Likes

I’m down a tomato ripening rabbit hole today.

Are all of your cherries indeterminate varieties? I don’t have any experience growing green tomatoes, but the green cherries I’ve found seem to have q range of days to maturity, from 55 to 85.

2 Likes

My 3 green cherry (or grape) tomato plans are all indeterminate. The seeds were planted in April. The tomatoes aren’t ripe yet for the most part. It’s ridiculous. I’ve gotten about 12 total off of 3 plants that looked a bit greener than the rest, and I left them on the counter for 3-5 days before eating. But the plants have 100 or more tomatoes on them now that don’t look close.

2 Likes

Today’s pick was so miniscule, that rather than dig into the fridge for the appropriate green bags for storage, I just ate everything:

1 carrot
12 shelling peas
1 small cucumber
As many small tomatoes as I wanted

Having grazed in the garden, I see no need to make a salad with dinner tonight.

4 Likes

Last fig.

Not sure why. Probably not enough water.

5 Likes

Thanks for reminding me. I have to buy some seeds.

More tomato management. Garden to table tomato soup.

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)