2022 Veggie gardens!

oh no! I hope they turn up in a luggage pocket.

(I’m in London, Canada :joy:)

3 Likes

It’s been a good summer, and a warmer Sept than usual!

2 Likes

This all looks so beautiful! I’m envious of your raspberries. We had to replace our plants this year, and thus got no fall berries.

3 Likes

Oh no, that’s too bad! Hopefully next summer will make up for it. Thanks for the compliment, we’ve been enjoying them, and in fact I’ve got a few things to post on the baking thread.

2 Likes

We grew serranos for the first time this year. I’ve been adding them to the gazpacho with good results. How else to use them (not a big pepperhead here)?

2 Likes

I’ve got salt & pepper squid on the brain. So, that.

4 Likes

Now I have salt and pepper squid on the brain too.

1 Like

I’m so impressed at your gardening expertise- and a little bit jealous, too

1 Like

Well, I put them in a lot of things, mostly sliced into really thin rings so as not to get too much WHAM at once. Omelets, salads, margaritas, salsas and other Mexican dishes, and they’re good in stir fries, too, depending on the other ingredients, of course.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Awesome - that is a nice size for a pattypan squash! Enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks!! This is some sort of heritage variety of pattypan called White Scallop squash.

https://www.rareseeds.com/white-scallop-squash

3 Likes

Cool - I’ve noted that for next year’s planting season. Really do love growing the heirloom versions of things, and think it’s important to maintain diversity within our crops. Especially with climate change. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you @ewsflash, but I can’t take credit for it, since it’s H’s passion. I do go up and pick stuff, especially now that he just replaced all the steps to get up there, with pressure treated timbers. The old ones had rotted, and it was too scary to get up there for me until today.

2 Likes

LOL- my garden this year is a study in failure while gardening in the desert. We put a raised garden together out of a 6x3x2 galvi stock tank and planted a bunch of stuff. The tomato has been gasping out loud the whole time, partly because the temps went up to about 110 right after we planted and I don’t even think it ever bloomed. I’m going to end its suffering tomorrow. The chives and pineapple sage totally burned up dead right away, the basil’s done well but leggy because it doesn’t get quite enough sun, the tomatillos are the saddest I ever saw (no fruits or even blooms that I saw, may not even have leaves), The pimento gave me one beautiful fat chile and hasn’t done squat since, the other chiles are taking it easy, not bothering to produce, except for one jalapeno that’s in a little pot set in a big pot because there were more roots outside the small pot than in. It has one nice-looking still-green jalapeno on it. The ants ate holes in my figs.
HOWEVER- the eggplants are producing regularly, and the three Mexican lime trees are really cranking out a bumper crop of beautiful little yellow limes. An embarrassment of riches.
Anybody know what to do with Eggplant, basil, and limes??
Oh- and the pineapple guava may or may not bear a lot of fruit in a month or two

5 Likes

The two eggplants are fantastic- they have seeds, but they’re sweet and don’t need peeling, the skins are so tender.

2 Likes

You’ve got a nice Thai combo right there.

4 Likes

We have two honey-crisp apple trees on super-dwarf rootstock (M26). The trees aren’t much taller than 5’. I thin them hard, which yields fewer, but bigger apples. One didn’t do anything this year, the other gave us 14 nice apples which I picked today. We grow a few other varieties, but these are my favorite, by far.

8 Likes

Picked my last eggplants today.
These are the things I picked yesterday.

6 Likes

Pickled pepperoncini and serrano peppers. These are fridge pickles (i.e. I didn’t process them in a waterbath).

6 Likes