2022 Veggie gardens!

It has been a decidedly not-great year for both of my gardens. I got a very nice bean crop and a pretty good sungold crop and plenty of herbs. But most of the other stuff - peppers, lettuce, peas, big tomatoes, cucumbers - produced very sparsely. Here’s my lone balcony Black Krim with some balcony basil (which did very well) in the only garden caprese salad I was able to make, and not until today.

6 Likes

You’re in the PNW, correct? It’s been a relative disaster for all of us. Only by the grace of an unusually warm September/October did we get much gardening satisfaction. I’m already dreaming of next year.

2 Likes

I’m in Manhattan and Ulster County (upstate NY).

1 Like

Ooof! My bad! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You were pretty far off! But hey, I like the Pacific Northwest just fine.

2 Likes

Sweet basil

4 Likes

Today’s pick: cabbages and tomatoes. This is my second planting of cabbages this year; the first planting bolted straight after the unusually cold weather.

4 Likes

Wow on the cabbage!

3 Likes

Lol - thanks! I’m still learning how to grow them. They’re a little more particular than I anticipated.

2 Likes

Anyone doing fall potatoes? They are starting to “chit” in the cubbard

I think the growth should be green, and the potatoes not looking sad. Maybe some moisture and more sun? It’s still pretty hot here; high eighties to nineties, but days noticeably shorter.

and sprouting in the garden.

I usually take a haphazard go at it each year, but I’m trying to learn from experience.

4 Likes

We’ll harvest potatoes this fall, but they’ve been in the ground for some time. In the past we’ve planted in cold-frames to winter over with some success, but won’t be doing that this year.

Over the next week or two I’ll be planting spinach and English peas to winter over.

2 Likes

Potatoes in the fall.

I’ve been working on starting in “fall”, interior valley-ish, Northern California, fingerlings, in containers. Anyone else?

2 Likes

Last week’s tomato harvest got turned into 6 quarts and 11 pints of Monastery Sauce, which is our version of a Greek tomato sauce available at the annual Greek Festival. Lots of tomatoes left over for eating fresh & cooking projects too.

4 Likes

Glamour shot of the sauce:

4 Likes

Nice to see tomato plants still producing! I’d love to know your secrets if they would work for me!

Many of my vines look great for October, and a few have a lot of fowers, but fruit is few and far between. Still high eightes to nineties during the day.

2 Likes

This year was very strange/atypical in the garden! Everything was about a month late, and many of the crops didn’t do as well as years past. Zucchini and yellow squash not prolific, beans sparser, raspberries fairly abundant, but strangely not very flavorful. But the tomatoes did seem to come through pretty well! So what happens, is once the tomatoes fruit, and grow larger, but are still green, we drastically cut the water. Give them just enough to keep the vines alive, and they usually start ripening. When they’re turning red and the skins start splitting, no more water. Our growing season is shorter than yours, zone is 8B. Garlic crop was good also, but heads were quite small this year. Got a few jalapeños, and green bell peppers, but skins were very tough. Cucumbers were tasty, and plentiful as well. The critters got the Concord grapes, and the plum tree produced only a fraction of the usual. Lots of blueberries though, and the herbs were good.

1 Like

Looks awesome! Is there a recipe for the sauce you can share?

Yes, I’ll type it up tomorrow for you!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

What a harvest. I can only imagine what the cat was thinking …

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 8.33.17 PM

3 Likes