2022 Veggie gardens!

Thanks, @bogman, that was very helpful! By sheer luck and trying to solve a leaf discoloration issue, deficiency in magnesium was one of the potential causes and I tried small amounts of diluted epsom salt as a spray this summer. It seemed to help. I will take note though of not applying both fertilizers as sprays. I usually water and occasionally spray with my citrus fertilizer, and only spraying the epsom salt mixture a few times in between when the issue reared its head. And I agree - the blossom scents are heavenly, especially the satsuma blossoms.

@shrinkrap - I’ve had this little tree for about 1.5 years. This is from a different vendor than the makrut lime and satsumas. Not surprising, it was way cheaper and arrived as a little nub (4-5 inches?). I got what I paid for I guess, and it’s struggled on and off. It did manage to grow several new branches and leaves last summer, but it suffered a lot of leaf drop indoors last winter. I only had less then 10 buds this whole season, but was just happy to see it grow healthier with more leaves and branches. This spurt is a nice surprise!

Today’s pick - fall harvest. Things are slowing down steadily, and volumes becoming more manageable. Not a single cucumber or zucchini today – WTF???

The apple and the Asian pear are test picks. Will cut into them, check the color of the seeds, etc. to see how close to ripe we are getting. Not a big year for tree-fruit for us, and I blame the cold spring and late-start to summer we had.

6 Likes

Is it cooling off where you live (it’s not here in AZ, over 100 degrees last weekend)?

2 Likes

That’s impressive!

Any ideas for how to use underripe corn? I picked a ton, thinking we wouldn’t have warm weather this week, and it’s not sweet.

Thanks for any ideas.

4 Likes

I know how not to use it from an episode of Top Chef!

Your harvest looks wonderful.

I got home after dark, after 2+ weeks away from the garden, and crept outside with a flashlight to see how things had fared. To my dismay, the ground seemed wet, and some containers had collected quite a bit of water on their plastic “shower caps”!
I was freaking out! “Oh no!” I thought. “I have an irrigation leak! I’ve wasted water!”.
Turns out it appears to be WATER FROM THE SKY, aka rain. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The tomato plants don’t look great, and the ripe fruit is too ripe, but the plants will survive, and the peppers continue to flourish.

!)

3 Likes

Your peppers are gorgeous.

I think I will scrape it off the cobs and make a corn pudding type thing.

Could also attempt a Filipino corn dessert.

Didn’t know I could do this

Corn past its prime- guessing corn before it’s prime can be used this way, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1996/08/28/not-quite-newborn-corn-rescuing-kernels-that-are-past-their-prime/b834aa62-b658-4429-a1ab-3718cff5f603/

2 Likes

+1 on the frozen cobbs. I always keep those, but i haven’t used them!

2 Likes

I’ve heard people raving about corn cob stock. I don’t know how the under-ripe will play out here (I’ve never made the stock), but it’s worth a shot, I would think. Please let us know how it turns out.

3 Likes

September 22 in the maritime PNW.

4 Likes

Your little red serranos look perfect! We usually have jalapenos and serranos at the house, and I love it when they turn red, it adds a beautiful sweetness to the heat.

2 Likes

I have, I’ve been making a stock from frozen pork ribs and corn cobs. I boiled the corncobs first, then added the rib bones. Through it all, the smell and the taste of the corn really comes through- it’s so sweet and ‘corny’, it makes my mouth water to smell it when I take the lid off to check on the progress.
I’m going to make pozole with it. Got some good stuff at the carniceria today, but the pork chops looked anemic so I’ll get it elsewhere tomorrow.
Anyway, I heard about corncobs for stock from Good Eats, and was surprised at how wonderful it tastes.

2 Likes

The garden gods are good, after a slow start. Things are slowing down now, but not done. Lots of tomatoes still, but not producing the bounty of some years - same with the green beans and squash. Still enough of all to share with the DD’s and others. They like getting their custom “CSA” boxes, so to speak.

5 Likes

Beautiful berries and tomatoes.

1 Like

Thank you! Things are pretty tasty around here.

1 Like

Things will slow down tonight around here. (Celsius)

1 Like

Are you in London? Can you look for my car keys?

3 Likes

Kind of sad, but hopefully you’ve had a nice summer up there?

1 Like

Not Phoenikia, but she is referring to London, Ontario. Unless she’s traveling, that is. Too bad about your car keys, that’s just a pain, also expensive if you need to replace valet keys!

3 Likes

Arghh! As soon as I realized I’d brought the key on the trip, I secreted it in my luggage, never to be seen again.

3 Likes