2022 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

It’s not you. There’s definitely differences in what each store carries. And you’re right, why would a store carry stuff that doesn’t suit the clientele or have a hard time selling? That said, stuff gets buried or in obscure places but those places can be figured out.

Our south Medford store changed owners about a year ago and the product mix has gotten much more bland and nondescript.
Sucks, frankly.

1 Like

Your favorites?

I was at the Oakland store, maybe ten years ago on a week day afternoon. I noticed a large bus limo and guys in ironed shirts and slacks and they entered the store and walked around with notebooks. I thought to myself, those guys look like VC guys. Sure enough Berkshire Hathaway bought into G.O., eight years ago, I had to check.

I used to go to the Oakland GO a lot when my mom was sick because it’s near Kaiser. Now I go to Richmond and I prefer it. I think the selection is better. I’ve noticed prices going up, though.

2 Likes

Are you saying that the “art” of spotting these items is in the physical act of looking carefully enough everywhere to find them? That’s difficult to understand. If what you’re saying is that it’s about having the ‘palate’ to recognize these items I think that makes sense. But…… that seems like a kind of snobby and elitist thing to suggest. Maybe that comes with the territory in ‘foodie’ world. Certainly not everyone is as fully versed in recognizing truly great culinary products as others might be. Perhaps that was below the surface in this.

My favorites in SF are the one on South Van Ness in the Mission and the one on Bayshore Boulevard in Visitation Valley. I rarely find much interesting stock at the one on Silver Avenue, and the other one that is also on Bayshore Boulevard (sort if just below the Eastern edge of Bernal Heights) has the most standard stock of any G.O. I’ve seen so after a couple visits I’ve abandoned that one.

1 Like

As others have already said, no, its not you!!! IMO their stores cater to the lowest common demonator of their specific area. Unfortunately…

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet

Two from Italy -

$12.99/32 oz. - Pasticceria Matilde Vicenzi Venezia Italy Decorative Cookie Tin - Assorted Patisseries, Pastries, Shortbread Cookies, Individually Wrapped, Made in Italy, Kosher Dairy, 32 oz Gift Box, family run company since 1905 and uses good ingredients, had very good ratings online. I don’t see a Best By date on the tin, might get more to use as gifts.

$5.99/750 ml - Fratelli Cozza – Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

85% Montepulciano. 15% Sangiovese.

Color: Intense ruby-red with violet hues.
Bouquet: Aromas of pepper and spice, giving the nose a rustic charm.
Palate: Flavors of black fruit with earth notes are present on the mid-palate, leading to a persistent finish.
3 Likes

In my experience it is definitely the physical act of looking carefully enough. Kinda crazy but I literally stare at some of the dense-in-variety shelves (dairy, hair care products) and the shampoo I like or the butter that’s a cut above the rest gradually appear. Like Where’s Waldo.

3 Likes

Heidipie, that’s exactly my experience (delusion?)! Suddenly that special cheese appears, seemingly emerging from amidst the ordinary! After I get the regular items on my list (eggs, organic chicken, etc.), it’s a treasure hunt.

3 Likes

The revolving items and feeling of treasure hunt seems similar to Costco, though at much smaller scale.

1 Like

Santa Cruz GO
… thanks zippo, it’s now showing up down here as well.

Rogue Creamery - Oregon Blue (not the smoked blue, which they may be more known for), 9.99/lb.

Be on the lookout, this fine cheese showed up this week in SC (a GO first for me). I’d describe it as a cow’s milk version of Roquefort. Have been a big admirer of Rogue blues for some time.

6 Likes

Forgot to add, in another first for me,

Levain Bakery Cookies, 3 kinds. $2.99

4 Likes

$5.99 for a 6 pack at my local GO (Altadena) The package is torn because the GO clerk looked at the package and said “That looks good”, so I tore it open and handed her a jar for her to try.

5 Likes

Nice! I grabbed a pack of those last week at the Mission GO in San Francisco. They’re so good I wish I had gotten more.

1 Like

Those made it to the East Hayward GO too.

1 Like

Also saw the Levain cookies. They seem to be rotating the flavors. Taste is great - very close to the ones fresh in NYC. These are smaller normal-sized cookies, not the giant ones they make in the store. They’re pre-baked and you’re just thawing/heating them up in the oven. Stocking up on these for when friends are over and want a quick dessert snack.

2 Likes

I used to get them from Levain when I lived in NYC. Enormous, and while they tasted great I’m not a big fan of underbaked cookies.

I saw those at GO but have never tried them before. Re: under-baked, are they “soft bake” style cookies?