2022 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

From grossoutwine, reviews of wines from the recently ended 20% Fall Wine Sale -

San Francisco, Bayshore Boulevard
That Van Duzer rose is quite nice, 100% pinot noir

4 Likes

The Cleveland Kitchen Bread and Butter chips are likely past expiration/best by date – just a note for people who care. (I bought some for a bit more at a diff grocery outlet and the expiry was either early Dec or late Nov). Obvs they’re fermented so still edible, but they are definitely losing some crunch. Otherwise quite good. All the cleveland kitchens stuff is pretty good, they’ve had a lot of their sauerkraut lately (not past best-by date) for pretty reasonable prices.

i always forget when the price is nuts to check the expiration. Usually I don’t care, but for some products I do e.g. I recently bought some hummus past the best-by/exp date and if I had noticed the date I would’ve probably skipped it.

1 Like

Yeah I assumed they’d be expired or on the cusp, but with pickles I don’t think its an issue.

Seen @ SF Geary GO:

Fly By Jing Sichuan Sauce (16 oz large jar) for $14.99

3 Likes

At the East Hayward GO: Helados La Neta Ron Con Pasas (rum raisin ice cream) for $1.99/pint. I like the La Neta brand very much.

2 Likes

I was buying about 20 items…

“rice, oatmeal, pasta, spaghetti sauce, chicken noodle soup, corn, mixed vegetables, carrots, green beans, a box of cereal, peanut butter, stuffing, boxed potatoes, canned beans, macaroni and cheese, canned fruit, canned tomatoes, canned tuna, apple sauce, crackers, cranberry sauce and other items.”

…for a local church basket they estimated would cost $40.00 and I was all “no way!” but it worked, with a few dollars to spare!

Strangely I could not find “mixed vegetables” nor “carrots”, there, nor at Target.

I rang up my special finds on a separate tab😁

Two kinds of Grey Poupon mustard
A bottle of anchovies
Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes
And there was wine and more!

10 Likes

It’s made by High Road in Atlanta, which has appeared at GO over the years. The nuez (pecan) pint had more stabilizers than I think is typical for High Road, but the flavor was good

I like the Mexican chocolate and horchata flavors.

South Van Ness (San Francisco) location:

4 Likes

Fly by Jing 16 oz chili crisp at Richmond GO.

4 Likes

Recently at Oakland Grocery Outlet

$1.99/5.6 fl. oz. jar - Heinz 57 Collection Culinary Crunch Chili Pepper Crunch Sauce, 5.6 fl oz jar. A crunchy blend of chili flalkes, onion and garlic in safflower oil. Trader Joe’s has a similar jar at 6 oz with olive oil for $4.29. Are these lower-grade copies of the Fly by Jing?

from Heinz -

Ingredients

SAFFLOWER OIL, RED BELL PEPPER*, ROASTED GARLIC*, CHILI PEPPERS*, ONION*, MISO POWDER (ORGANIC SOYBEANS, RICE, SEA SALT, WATER, KOJI STARTER [ASPERGILLUS ORYZAE]), SEA SALT. *DRIED

3 Likes

I saw those but passed. Also have some Fly by Jing.

In an unrelated find, I recently saw Tapatio spicy ramen, at Produce Pro Market on San Pablo/23rd.

I suspect that Fly by Jing and this Heinz 57 sauce are both inspired by the Lao Gan Ma chili crisp.

3 Likes

FYI, I’ve seen Fly By Jing at the SoMa Costco.

This ranking likely would agree.

BTW, this is a slideshow…so several clicks.

3 Likes

Recently at Oakland Grocery outlet -

99 cents/6 oz. bottle - O’Food Chung Jung One Umami Sauce, Black Anchovy Sauce, not as fishy tasting as Red Boat and most of the Thai and Vietnamese fish sauces, more umami flavor, made from fermented anchovy in South Korea, about $6 to $9 online, rated 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon.

from Walmat-

Korean Style mild fish sauce made from fresh Black Anchovy and healthy ingredients! This naturally fermented “Myulchi” (black anchovy) filtered in activated charcoal delivers a perfect balance of robust flavor and delicate aroma. Activated charcoal filtering reduces the inconvenient fishy smell caused by fermentation. If you love umami sauce, this is your next go-to! Use like table sauce or as a base in dipping sauce! This fermented Anchovy Sauce will add a bright citrus umami taste in fried rice, stir-fry, soups and stews! Add the rich taste of anchovy to enhance your dish of any cuisine. Highly recommended on oil or cream pasta, basil pesto, guacamole, salad, nasi goreng, pad thai, nuoc mam, and nam jim sauce.

24 cents/8 oz. (4 for 97 cents) - Kite Hill Plant-Based Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese made with almond milk. This is on sale at deep discount probably because it is near the expiration date which I couldn’t find on the tub. . Vegan, dairy-free and soy-free. Tastes like a pumpkin-flavored cheesecake, not overly sweet. Well done.

3 Likes

At the Geary Blvd (San Francisco) location:

1 Like

Nice to see some whole bean options at GO. I rarely see any at my local, and often skip the coffee section, with it’s over reliance on low-quality ground fare. Not familiar with bean blossom, but it appears to be a defunct brand offshoot of Copper Moon in IN. Appears that they lost a trademark dispute that may have doomed the brand.

1 Like

My local GO (East Hayward) often carries whole beans of their house-brand Hollis Street coffee, including single-origin varieties.

1 Like