2022 Grocery Outlet [California, Oregon, Washington, etc., etc.]

I suspect that Fly by Jing and this Heinz 57 sauce are both inspired by the Lao Gan Ma chili crisp.

3 Likes

FYI, I’ve seen Fly By Jing at the SoMa Costco.

This ranking likely would agree.

BTW, this is a slideshow…so several clicks.

3 Likes

Recently at Oakland Grocery outlet -

99 cents/6 oz. bottle - O’Food Chung Jung One Umami Sauce, Black Anchovy Sauce, not as fishy tasting as Red Boat and most of the Thai and Vietnamese fish sauces, more umami flavor, made from fermented anchovy in South Korea, about $6 to $9 online, rated 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon.

from Walmat-

Korean Style mild fish sauce made from fresh Black Anchovy and healthy ingredients! This naturally fermented “Myulchi” (black anchovy) filtered in activated charcoal delivers a perfect balance of robust flavor and delicate aroma. Activated charcoal filtering reduces the inconvenient fishy smell caused by fermentation. If you love umami sauce, this is your next go-to! Use like table sauce or as a base in dipping sauce! This fermented Anchovy Sauce will add a bright citrus umami taste in fried rice, stir-fry, soups and stews! Add the rich taste of anchovy to enhance your dish of any cuisine. Highly recommended on oil or cream pasta, basil pesto, guacamole, salad, nasi goreng, pad thai, nuoc mam, and nam jim sauce.

24 cents/8 oz. (4 for 97 cents) - Kite Hill Plant-Based Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese made with almond milk. This is on sale at deep discount probably because it is near the expiration date which I couldn’t find on the tub. . Vegan, dairy-free and soy-free. Tastes like a pumpkin-flavored cheesecake, not overly sweet. Well done.

3 Likes

At the Geary Blvd (San Francisco) location:

1 Like

Nice to see some whole bean options at GO. I rarely see any at my local, and often skip the coffee section, with it’s over reliance on low-quality ground fare. Not familiar with bean blossom, but it appears to be a defunct brand offshoot of Copper Moon in IN. Appears that they lost a trademark dispute that may have doomed the brand.

1 Like

My local GO (East Hayward) often carries whole beans of their house-brand Hollis Street coffee, including single-origin varieties.

1 Like

Richmond does, too. The whole bean French Roast is quite good.

Some strange food deals in the Mission SF

4 Likes

The market for ‘eggs benedict inspired’ pizza apparently cratered.
That 00 flour is a great find, I hope my GO gets it in stock.

1 Like

I know, who would have thought?
Actually I’m surprised anything egg related hasn’t gone up in price, all the eggs were $8.00/dozen which is double what they usually are at G.O.

I bought a bag of the KA 00 at the Folsom St. Sacramento GO when I was down there a few weeks back. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet (I usually get lazy and do TJ’s ready-made pizza crusts), but this is a great price from what I remember when I was buying specialty flour 3 - 4 years ago (pre-kid #2). This Sacramento GO FWIW seems to have consistently good selection in wine/beer, it’s down the street from the regionally famous Corti Bros, and I even skipped a pilgrimage there this time because the beer selection was good enough at GO for me to stock up – in particular, they had a set of Solid Ground Brewing 16oz 4-packs for … ~$11.99?, a brewery from which I haven’t found a bad style yet.

I am super curious to learn more about how the wine/beer stocking works. The Richmond, Novato, and Petaluma stores all seem to have great selection (supposedly the Petaluma store is known for having an excellent buyer), but I presume there’s probably a list somewhere they’re all buying off of? I’m tempted to find the San Rafael buyer and tip them off to the GO Wine comment threads so they pick up better stuff. :slight_smile:

I have found egg prices highly variable – I haven’t seen eggs go up (much more) at Costco (~$7 for 2 dozen, although they are now limit 2) or TJ’s (maybe went up a dollar or .50?), where I frequently buy eggs. I used to buy them regularly at the San Raf GO (they generally stock Petaluma Egg farm eggs) but they have been steadily raising prices on them even before the recent avian flu issues. I have definitely been a bit shocked when I see the egg prices in regular super markets. In fact, I’ve been shocked overall at prices, I feel like Costco, TJ’s and GO (where I mostly buy groceries) have been largely insulated from some of the inflation, or are good at tricking me with their pricing strategies (e.g. nothing is ever really more than 3.99 at TJ’s – with some exceptions, e.g. nuts, oils, alcohol – and if they moved from 1.99 to 2.99 I probably don’t notice). I do feel like GO is finally catching up with the overall inflationary trends, stuff “feels” more expensive there lately.

4 Likes

rajbot great analysis in your last paragraph–I agree. I was also buying high quality eggs at GO and now get commodity eggs at Costco and TJs. Hoping that changes when the avian flu is controlled.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly, but from what I’ve seen 70-80% of the wines seem to be the same at most G.O.s. It’s the 20-30% that differ where I usually tend to buy. I’ve read about wineries consolidating, going bankrupt, etc. and then see their wines at G.O. Then there are others that always seem to be there, where I assume wineries are just clearing older vintages clogging up storage, like Buena Vista and Michel-Shlumburger. But I’m just speculating and would be interested to know how it really works as well.

I don’t find their beers to be particularly discounted, maybe just a bit, except certain specials they’ll have.

2 Likes

South Van Ness (San Francisco) location:

2 Likes

One thing: From what I’ve seen on this and other fora(?) GO stores in NorCal and the Central Coast seem to have access to what are likely smaller quantities of ‘boutique-ish’ wines that become available. That’s likely a factor of quantity and logistics (shipping from the source). Just makes simple business sense.

1 Like

I was at Costco Richmond and no eggs at all at 2 p.m.

1 Like

Egg case half full at noon at Geary SF GO. All $5.99/dozen or more, though…

is it possible to rename a thread? would be nice to have the current content reflect the year we are in.

I just made a new one for 2023

4 Likes