2020 Veggie Gardens!

First time growing ‘bunching onions’ aka scallions. Looked like spindly little grass for a long time. Very nice to have a constant supply for cooking.

4 Likes

@shrinkrap - yes, that’s exactly what mine looked like too. E too a long while to have clearly visible roots, but they will come.

Mine are going strong but need to be replanted in a bigger pot. I’m quite certain these will be busting through those after this season.

@Elsieb - isn’t it great how end of summer tends to revive some plants? My scallions are busting through by early summer and they get harvested quickly and then it’s slow for the rest of the summer. My scallions are all growing well again, and I should have a nice harvest by fall. Scallions definitely take patience. They always start as these barely visible blades that probably wouldn’t feed a rabbit. A lady at the salon always tells me about her garden, and she was just saying she’s giving up on her scallions because they were too small to be harvestable. I convinced her to leave them in and they’ll eventually thicken. They require such little maintenance anyway, so no harm there.

2 Likes

Yes Konica. So tiny in the beginning I had to really look close to see them and not weed them!

1 Like

Reassuring to hear that about the scallions… I thought my second batch were just bum.

I’ve been replanting stubs from the store - one batch grew beautifully, the other is tiny and spindly.

I guess patience is the name of the game, as with lemongrass.

I think I said this before, but I wish someone had told me years ago to put scallion stubs in soil instead of water - the result is so much better.

2 Likes

Sheared another row today - it’s pretty sad how this stupid fungus spreads even among pots, since it’s in the soil.

Also surprising that some infected plants can grow entirely heathy lush new sections. Fingers crossed.

Another few rows to go.

I keep forgetting that I need to fertilize regularly. The drip irrigation, however flawed, has made me complacent.

I know, right?

1 Like

Awwwww, I have this problem usually later, around end of September or October or wet seasons but since your tomato plants started production earlier, they are probably weaken by all the fruit production. Also from the photos, it seems the plants have many leaves for a proper air circulation.

I try to get rid of the leaves when I spot the fungus instantly to slow down the spread of disease.

P.S. I still see many healthy leaves.

1 Like

I am so thankful to have been spared fungal diseases for the last 25 years! This stuff is wicked!

I cut down most of the plants. I saw evidence of mites, but the foliage had more and more spots that I’m sure is some fungus. I suspect some plants had nutritional problems that probably weakened them, because a week after feeding there was new growth and flowers.

1 Like

Harvest from yesterday morning. Yes, tomatoes finally coming on, but not very fast.

5 Likes

Nice! For me, got raspberries was in July…and tomatoes now.

I guess with your weather, the tomatoes continues to bloom.

We actually have another big crop starting on our main raspberry bush. It seems to have 2 distinct summer cycles @naf. Blueberries, however are gone til next year.

2 Likes

I read a bit on raspberries, the way one prunes the bush will affect the timing of the crops. Interesting, never know this.

Oh very cool @naf! Guess H knows that trick, or maybe he doesn’t know, and it’s an accident, will have to ask him.

1 Like

Yay! I got an orange one !

2 Likes

@Lambchop, can’t wait to see what you do with them.

Everybody here talked about spraying neem oil mixture to control insects. I tried to read more and is shocked to find that neem oil is forbidden to use as insecticide in France, meaning in Europe on the whole, European law effective since 2008. Probably a victory of the chemical insecticide lobby. One can only find neem oil for cosmetic usage if you want to use it for gardening. Scandal!!

2 Likes

What is the stated reason it’s banned? I wonder if it’s something specific like mustard oil in the US (which is a main cooking medium in some parts of India, but there’s a quality and method of use issue, so it can’t be sold here as food grade, all the indian stores have to keep it in the beauty/health section).

1 Like

I keep harvesting tomatoes with the idea of making sauce… and we keep giving them away :joy:

Anyway, I have several types sorted and cleaned (I brought in FIVE big bowls yesterday, probably another couple left out because I was exhausted in the heat).

So today or tomorrow I’ll make a simple tomato sauce to freeze - probably Marcella Hazan’s with just onion, possibly a bit of garlic but maybe not.

1 Like