2020 Veggie Gardens!

Not yet! The bigger ones are starting to grow buds, the smaller ones are still kid size! A store bought grafted Berner Rose has 2 tiny green fruits. Looooong way to go.

1 Like

Ahhhhhh! That was @Saregama. Here’s a green -with-envy look @Saregama. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

@shrinkrap, I not only covet your Charmaine Solomon book, but also your Duke’s stash! I’ll have to get some Duke’s on order.:smiley_cat:

Pro tip :face_with_hand_over_mouth:; It is often cheaper directly from Saeur, but faster from Amazon.
@Lambchop; I spelled it wrong. Here’s a link.

Good to know, I do like value shopping; Best Foods will do just fine while I wait for Saeur’s. Thanks @shrinkrap.

Look at these plump chaps!

Many of my cherry tomato plants are still only about 1.5-2’ tall but have fruit already. And a couple of the salvaged-from-salads grape tomato plants are actually doing the best of all! They are quite adorable, buddied up with strawberries that are also quite pleased with themselves.

How am I sort-of succeeding at tomatoes and failing at everything else :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Beautiful! So excited right now. Chalk what’s not working up to learning. It would probably be too much! I’m going to re-read that other thread. But in the meantime, how cool is this?

1 Like

I think I have too much.

4 Likes

Tomatoes and peppers

1 Like

Pluots

2 Likes

Your pluots look soo good! I love a good sweet pluot.

My shishito peppers are going well. I was very excited with all the little pepper butts sticking from the flower buds last week. Am I the only one that thinks they look like little butts when they first start forming after pollination? :joy:

My lemongrass is going crazy too. I thought having the longer stalks might be a problem, but as you can see, they’ve busted right through the older, dried bits of the stock now. I think I have to think about re-planting this into bigger pots soon. I was warned that the blades of grass are sharp and to be careful, and they weren’t kidding. While I haven’t drawn blood yet, I have felt how sharp they can be. Will definitely need gloves and some long sleeves as these mature!

2 Likes

Yes! Not really. I can only speak myself and the butts I’m familiar with.

1 Like

My advice is give it a stir and plant something. There are fungi (and lots of other things) growing in any healthy soil. Sometimes you’ll see evidence of it.

Parking this here for future reference for me and other hot and dry gardeners

Spider mite look alike.

According to Missouri botanical garden. Org

This is spider mites on tomato leaves

According to Sow the Seed UK
This one is a potassium or magnesium deficiency or imbalance

More spider mite damage ; leaf undersides

Gardening with Allen: What’s up with discolored leaves?

I think I have also seen aphid damage and thrip damage look alike.

Ecolabdscaping Garden Insect Primer: Getting to Know Common Garden Insect Pest Groups and their Associated Signs of Plant Damage
Thrips damage

1 Like

Not our crop, unfortunately, but SIL in Utah’s harvest. Ours is pulled, ready to be cleaned, and not nearly as big. She shares generously, as we do with her. @shrinkrap, please restrain yourself from serious garlic envy. I’ll send you some for planting, along with any tips I can glean. Your area is perfect for growing. We don’t get enough heat here. 59 degrees today…

First raspberry picking.

1 Like

Too late!

f2d2116e568e6ecf18280d58768efa6c38379d72ac2e899a5ed0e13c97e821c6.0

It’s been close to or more than 90 degrees here for most of the last two weeks. Not sure how perfect that is for garlic in June, but I’ll take it, and I’ll take your garlic! Thanks!

After about 30 days above 85 I finally pulled the rocambole. Still had five green leaves and some had no obvious cloves. I don’t how I happened to plant that Ajo Rojo. The Aglio Rosso’s a keeper though. I think I may have confused the two last fall.

Tomato and pepper update!

b

2 Likes

Beeyootiful!

I moved my smaller tomato containers today to spread them out a bit given the foliage doubles every few days. Lots of little cherry tomatoes growing makes me happy. But I’ll probably be gone before they are ripe. Thinking about whether to use a string trellis method across rows of plants, but that means they can’t really be moved till they’re done fruiting.

The healthiest of all is the grape tomato plant grown from seeds I took from some we ate during early lockdown days. Just gorgeous - loaded with flowers, and fruit starting up. I stuck the seedling in an old pot, didn’t even add new soil. But it’s a happy plant, and it makes me so happy to look at it. I’ve used some trellis netting around it for support. Will take a pic tomorrow.

1 Like

Wow! I’m curious to try garlic this year. Need to set some reminders in my calendar for northeast planting times.

1 Like

Oops! The rocambole was Spanish roja. Ajo rojo, another creole, was good here.

Our 2020 garlic crop. Not bad for our cooler climate & always very pungent.

5 Likes