2020 shut in report: the takeout thread [Boston, MA]

mostly I’ll get by during the restaurant shutdown with home cooking, but after three days inside I decided to venture out to Bob’s to get something different. What I bought is not all that thrilling–just one of their premade spinach and cheese calzones and an arancini with sauce on the side, which I like as a breakfast dish. And yeah, the arancini tonight looks somewhat overdone–but I’m in a forgiving mood. Everyone is a little distracted.

Even though my purchases are a little mundane, I thought I’d post a (slightly lousy?) picture anyway. It might be awhile until we can venture out again for real sitdown dining, so I figured what the heck. If you feel like supplementing the running list of takeout/delivery options with what you’re actually eating, please do!

7 Likes

Wow, that is one big arancini (what is the singular form?). Is it just cheese and the requisite aborio (sp?) rice?

We dug an eggplant parm from Bob’s out of the freezer the other night. It was delicious but didn’t really agree with my stomach.

Tonight we tried the take out from Craigie. The burgers were great as was the roast chicken. We were bummed they forgot the sides with the chicken, but they’re doing their best given the circumstances.

This thing has me freaked out enough that we had planned on exclusively cooking our meals for awhile. There is an argument however that cramming into a grocery store where others have handled products is riskier than getting take out. Particularly from somewhere, like Craigie, that is clearly going out of their way way to be meticulously clean. For now, we’ll continue to mix in a take out option once or twice a week. It also alleviates the stress of having to restock the panel try a bit.

3 Likes

That Craigie roast chicken seems hideously expensive at $55.

Although it does not seem on their website yet, Pammy’s has a take out menu now.

2 Likes

Under normal circumstances, I certainly agree and would be among the first to balk. I will say that it was a large bird. Enough to feed 2 adults last night with enough meat left over to put on a salad for lunch today. The way I look at it, I have already bought a lot of gift cards for places that sadly may never open again. Even a higher price point I am helping these restaurants, getting something for my money and checking off a few more meals. I’m willing to pay for places turning out less volume and making every effort to be meticulous about quality. Tony Maws was the one putting everything together himself at the pass.

Good to know. This link does not seem to be working, but the menu is on their Instagram. I’m sure we’ll try it out soon.

2 Likes

I posted this as its own thread yesterday, but am adding it here because it’s a powerful listen. The restaurant world has already been permanently changed by SARS-CoV-2. The longer it takes for people to get serious about self isolation, the more businesses of all types will close permanently.

On another public radio program, someone opined that people need to stop getting takeout because it’s still exposing staff and customers to possible infection. Delivery is a bit safer but, economic concerns aside, it would be safer for restaurants to shut down. Fewer hands exchanging cash, touching gas pumps and doors, etc.

The only thing I might need is more bread, which Panera will deliver for less than Whole Foods.

2 Likes

they have ground beef in them too. they are def. sinkers (I only eat half of one for breakfast!), but they’re good. the arancini at Vinnie’s in east Somerville are much better, but it’s not as convenient for me to get to.

2 Likes

It’s not that black and white though. If restaurants are putting processes in place to control things as much as possible, is getting take out really exposing people more than going to crowded grocery stores?

Is delivery really safer? It’s another link in the chain where contamination or exposure could occur. From what I have seen, the delivery drivers are generally not practicing enhanced hygiene or safety.

If the restaurants completely shut down, then there could really be panic in terms of obtaining food and also more crowded stores.

There are no easy answers here. For now I will continue to stick with restaurants and stores who I trust to make their best effort in balancing feeding us and safety.

7 Likes

Yes, it’s quite complicated. I know places that have given their employees a choice of whether to work or not over this period (Hi-Rise, for example) and are continuing operations in a limited way with as much distancing as they can. Formaggio Kitchen is limiting the number of people allowed in at any time (although there are glitches such as happened to me a couple of days ago when I waited obediently outside for a long time till they remembered to check at the door to see if anybody was there).

4 Likes

It is just 11 times the cost of a Costco roast chicken.

2 Likes

…But you might not have to stand in line for 2 hrs to get in, or have to fight off a hoard of toilet paper panic shoppers.

1 Like

Formaggio has switched to curbside pickup only. No more in store shopping.

3 Likes

Not surprised. I expect more of the smaller stores to switch to that model, too, or to shut down.

1 Like

We are trying to support our favorite local places north of Boston while not breaking the bank.
Thai Sweet Basil last night, dinner for 3 adults with enough for 3 lunches left over.
Cafe Azteca in Lawrence is on the list, Bueno Malo was too, but we heard they have closed.
Sarma’s take out menu looks great, so we may travel a bit for that.
There are a few BBQ spots we would visit too.
My worse nightmare? We all survive the virus but only chain restaurants are open.

4 Likes

Wanting to support our local restaurants, we 3 (2 adults and 1 14 year old) ordered take-out from The Bangkok in Melrose: chicken wings, summer rolls, spicy eggplant with tofu and pad thai. Pad thai was not too sweet (chicken was not stringy) and the eggplant had some good spice. It was a treat and nice way to break up the week. I think Melrose businesses other than grocery and drugstores are shutting down as of tonight FYI.

4 Likes

Here’s another running list of places that are offering takeout and delivery. It includes where to order and what discounts are being offered–there are some good ones!!

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

6 Likes

By the way, their instagram lists curbside pickup as an option they recommend, but it does not say that they require it. (Also, the South End and Cambridge stores may have different rules.)

1 Like

Great to know! Thanks for sharing

Anyone who “only” eats half of an arancini for breakfast is my kind of eater!

2 Likes