2020 shut in report: the takeout thread [Boston, MA]

We’re hoping to support Wang’s in Somerville with some take out tonight. I figure they’re double-hit being a Chinese restaurant. We certainly want to keep them around and be able to eat their dumplings when this is all over.

I got a flyer on my porch from Mortadella Head advertising a free cheese pizza with the order of any other pizza for take out for Somerville residents. They’re next on our list.

3 Likes

I called Alive & Kicking and had them steam a bunch of 2lb lobsters for pickup for our dinner this evening. They were piping hot but not overcooked. Delicious!

At least we’ve been eating well and having lots of family meals during this nightmare.

However when I picked them up I was dismayed at how some are not taking the distancing seriously. I waited outside the very small space to wait for the person in front of me to be done. Several people tried to waltz by me and right into the shop. Then when I was paying for my lobsters a group of 5 people crowded in and I asked them to leave. The woman at the counter thanked me and said it had been like that all day. These morons are going to get us all locked in our homes or worse!

7 Likes

That’s extremely frustrating.

Not sure if this is useful, but if it seems unsafe to go in person, Alive & Kicking is also offering delivery on Postmates. We ordered yesterday and it was delicious!

4 Likes

Yesterday the Washington Post reported that it took three months for COVID-19 to hit 100,000 confirmed cases worldwide…and just 12 more until it reached 200,000. It’s now over 250,000. And of course, with only a fraction of suspected patients being tested. Restaurant food should be delivered, or pick-ups strictly enforced with one customer inside at a time. And probably that’s not stringent enough. In cities, most restaurant workers rely on public transportation, which endangers their health.

IMO, if the U.S. could ground commercial airlines after 9/11, when SOME people MIGHT have been in danger, the world should ground them all now, when ALL people ARE.

3 Likes

Had a solid Chilli Garden meal last night. They’re an area restaurant that still uses their own delivery staff, fwiw, you can call them directly and bypass the Grubhub/Uber Eats thing entirely. Good dan dan noodles (though they sent two orders when I asked for one, oh well), king mushroom with garlic and taiwanese crispy chicken with basil.

The driver was dressed like he was working in an infectious ward. I sure tipped well, that must be an unsettling job these days.

They’ll see more business from me in the next month I imagine…

5 Likes

I’m so glad you re-joined HO after a short but (for me) excruciating leave of absence. We need this board and folks like you more than ever before.

7 Likes

A reminder for me to order delivery from Chilli Garden if we don’t pick up (we are 10 minutes away). I love their food and they are nice people. Their dumplings and the cold Sichuan noodles are outstanding as well.

2 Likes

Sarma hopes to resume pick up on Wednesday, if they are allowed. Closed after offering pick up brunch today. Check the website daily to see what’s available when.

Mr. N picked up momos from Tasty Momo; they are also selling bags of frozen momos, which we’re glad to have for a quick meal.

2 Likes

hey, thanks for this tip. I didn’t know this & they are really close to where I live.

Why might they not be allowed and by whom?

I have no idea, I was just quoting what was posted on the Sarma Website earlier today, we are taking Monday and Tuesday off, we hope to resume Wednesday if we are allowed. It was on the website earlier today but has since been removed. So I am paraphrasing, but it definitely used language like “allowed.”

perhaps they are anticipating a possible city or state closing of take out, or their own financial and staffing and supplying situation. I have no special knowledge.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I just went to Sarma website again, and I quote:

SUNDAY BRUNCH-PICK UP FROM 12-3PM, PREORDERS START AT 10AM.

PLEASE NOTE WE ONLY HAVE 4 PHONE LINES, IF YOU CANT GET THROUGH WE ARE SORRY, THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AS WE FIGURE OUT THIS TAKE-OUT SITUATION.

WE WILL BE CLOSED MONDAY AND TUESDAY, SEE YOU WEDNESDAY, GOVERNMENT PERMITTING :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks.

I haven’t posted on this site in ages. Being home and self isolating has drawn me back to see what people’s thoughts are about getting take out. My husband has a lot of health issues and is on immunosuppressants so I guess I’m being overly cautious. We have not left the house in a week, groceries (Roche Bro’s) will be delivered Wednesday. I was fortunate to be able to get a delivery scheduled!

So now I’m thinking about take out, maybe even a wine delivery. How often are people getting take out? Do you feel it is a treat or a necessity?

1 Like

Hi @Pegmeister! At our house we have done some takeout in order to support two of our favorite local restaurants. One is an owner-operated cafe staffed only by the owner and an assistant (true even during normal times). The other is normally a full-service restaurant that’s gone to limited hours and limited menu, now accepting call-ahead orders only. The full-service place is directing all profits to its staff during this period.

Another part of my rationale is to help stretch out the time between necessary resupply runs to the grocery store.

And I would absolutely go for that wine delivery, if I were you. We restocked before this situation escalated, and another customer made a snide comment about panic buying. I didn’t have the heart to tell that dude that was a normal stock up for us because then we get a discount and it’s a far more efficient use of our time to have goods in the house. Also wine is in plentiful supply—it’s not as though it’s toilet paper! :rofl:

Stay safe!

6 Likes

I’m really starting to gravitate towards that wine delivery! Our regular local restaurant has switched to take out only but no delivery. I don’t believe they are doing much for their employees either. The bartender is a friend and she is anxious about the loss of income. Just hoping when this is over, they reopen and customers are generous!

3 Likes

I’ve been home over a week now, and am mostly making my own food to eat. But I’ve gotten a couple of meals by takeout and will likely continue to do so for local places I’m trying to support a bit. I also agree with @tomatotomato that some occasional takeout means going to the store somewhat less.

It’s also a bit of a treat, no doubt, given that these days my home routine doesn’t vary a lot. Getting some extra food from outside from a place I like a lot is a bright spot that I take some comfort in now that I’m mostly stuck in my apartment all day long.

5 Likes

I endorse wine delivery, as well.

I, too, have been cooking at home, along with delivery from a couple of places I want to support.

5 Likes