2020 NYC Restaurant thread - where are you eating out these days?

No, that wasn’t me.

Yeah, but we still let previous residents come back with the appropriate paperwork. We probably saw each other at NP or H.End, since we’ve been around for over 30 years ourselves. Where’d you go? By the way, Henry’s End moved a couple of blocks down this year - the landlord wanted to gut renovate the building.

The Park Side comment was a response to El Jefe – I’ve edited that post to make it clear. Sorry.

Lol, very possible. Can’t believe Henry’s End moved!! Is the new place just as teeny? Love their wild mushroom salad (and the duck, of course).

I’ve been exploring the great Thai food in Elmhurst, even though it’s an hour away by subway from where I live in Bed-Stuy. Hug Esan is probably the best of a good bunch, for its nam khao tod, larb, papaya salad, and fried chicken. At Khao Kang, you choose from a steam table; nice homey feel. Lamoon is a bit more polished, but none of these places are particularly upscale, and just about everyone else on my visits was speaking Thai to each other and to the servers.

There’s a new outpost of Los Tacos No. 1 on Church St near the Chambers A station (Tribeca?) which has the best al pastor (they call it adobada) I’ve found in the city. It’s a lot less crowded than the one in Chelsea Market.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m definitely a fan of Park Side and usually go once on every trip back to NYC. Excellent food, huge quantities, reasonable price. if it was in Manhattan or easily accessible by subway, we wouldn’t be discussing it on this thread because every tourist would be on line to get in.

I used to go to Penang, around the corner from Taste Good, but it just goes further and further downhill every time I’ve been there for the last few years. My friends that drive down from Rye and insist we go there have finally given up too. I like Taste Good but the dumpiness factor and lack of cleanliness (not sure how they even earned their “B”) means I have to go alone.

I was at both Little Pepper and Legends of Taste several times when I was last in NY in September. Little Pepper is often my last dinner on my way to JFK for a 1:30am flight.

And I forgot to add Zoilita’s (Parsons Blvd just off Union Tpke) to my list. it’s got fabulous Dominican steam table food but probably isn’t worth a trip from anywhere. I pass by 2-3 times a week, always at lunch time, and can’t resist. it’s the best Pernil I know of.

I’m happy to add more, especially in Queens, if there’s a demand for more Outer Boroughs ethnic cuisine.

I’m a 33% New Yorker, so let me add my 0.67 cents here.

Where I’m eating out “these days” is too broad, since I eat out widely (but infrequently given my time constraints), but the dishes/places I particularly like are these:

1. The shrimp pancake at Danji. (Really terrific: crisp in all the right places, studded with large, tender shrimp.)

2. The two chicken kebabs at Saar. (Hemant Mathur, the chef/owner of Saar, and I go back a long way, from Amma through Devi through … He catered 50% of our 25th wedding anniversary when he was at Tulsi, and there, too, we focused on his kebabs.) There’s the saffron one and the garlic, and I can offer no higher praise than to say that they’re as good as anything I’ve had in India. The other food at Saar is NYC-good, but not India-great.

3. Any pizza at Don Antonio, but I have the diavolo most often.

4. My wife and I eat at the bar room at the Modern at MoMa again and again. The menu changes, so this is a recommendation for a space not a dish. It’s not cheap (but consider the prices at the full restaurant – and the time involved), but for us it hits the spot between hours of art-studying, and a light movie to follow (we saw American Factory on our visit last year, with a discussion with the movie-makers at the end, where a guy in a baseball cap asked a question to be addressed with “Oh, hi Michael…”, and we saw Clemency more recently with Alfre Woodard to talk to us after). Oh, food: I had a terrific steak at the Bar Room before Factory, and cooked dinner before Clemency.

More, as I think of stuff,

2 Likes

Lol, what is a 33% NYer?

Somebody who has an apartment here, but is in Manhattan only 33% of the time. (67% in Cambridge, MA – rough life, I know)

1 Like

Lol. I’m a third gen Manhattanite, but now spend 6 months on the West Coast of Florida, so guess I’m in the same boat as you.

1 Like

But, you’re a 50%er and I’m a 33%er.

(Don’t know about you, but at least I’m not a 1%er, in another context, but, sadly, given lopsided incomes these days, I could well be a 10%er.)

HAH, exactly. Definitely not one of “those” Manhattanites!!

1 Like

Hadn’t registered that there was a new los tacos in TriBeCa - I like the one in times sq at off-hours (not peak lunch or pre theatre). It’s a bit of a line disaster, but you eventually get your food, and it’s always delicious.

Agree re adobada, but the chicken and the steak are good too. I also like the mulas, which are mini-quesadillas (the menu quesadillas are deep fried).

Well, it’s us, so if we care there’s a discussion… if not, not :slightly_smiling_face:

Nicely done fractional 2c :smiley:

Yum. Love Danji. Yes to the pancake - wish it weren’t so expensive, though. The wings are good too, and the bacon kimchi fried rice. I also like Hanjan, same folks.

I’ve heard this from friends too - I need to go soon, great kababs are enough reason! (Also, haven’t recovered from that Adda visit yet.)

I do think it’s hard for a place to do everything well, though, for any cuisine.

I agree that the shrimp pancake is expensive. The price has crept up over the years. But, eventually, I fall on the side of paying a bit more for a lot more taste.

On Adda, we broadly agree.

1 Like

My 9-10 weeks in NYC (Queens) should have started a few days ago. My Spring trip will now probably happen in September. Not sure what happens to my Fall trip. :frowning:
We finally have some awesome Sichuan food here in Chiang Mai and some more than acceptable Shaanxi food, but I’m really missing all the rest. I hope that most of everyone’s favorites will survive. Looking forward to adding to the Outer Borough discussion and maybe even joining you and Steve R for dinner one night.

Hmm, I’m emerging from a somewhat self imposed quarantine on internet posting that started well before SARS Cov-2.

Interesting to see the posts about my sometime 'hood. Ever since the lock down started, we defied the stay in place “orders” splitting our time between the apartment in the city and the house at the beach. In each locale we had our local favorites that we tried to support by initially ordering lots of take out and then coming for outdoor dining.

Our favorite local Japanese/sushi spot is Hibino. The quality there far exceeds your typical neighborhood Japanese spot. Been going there since they opened when a neighbor told me about a Japanese place that had opened which was owned by, surprise, Japanese. His son had married a Japanese woman and his suggestions for Japanese food were spot on reliable.

During the early days of ordering, it was a pain. Hibino had no online ordering and you had to phone in your orders. Actually call and talk to someone as opposed to tap on a screen. Sometimes had to dial over 100 times. No joking. The phone would count each one. Each tick up showing a failure to connect. Thank the tech lords for creating redial. Thought to myself that their takeout business must be doing ok.

At the end of my third takeout order, I am asked for my name. I say its “M.” The woman on the line says, “M, is this the M of M&T?” I say yes and she replies “this is H, we are testing a new on line ordering system. It’s not ready to be used by everyone but we are testing with some regulars. Send me your email and I will send you instructions so you don’t have to call your orders.”

Hallelujah! Don’t have to dial a hundred times again! Can I tell you how much I love this place? We support them and they support their regulars.

As to the food, its fantastic. Sushi made based on what is available. Not your standard of tuna, sushi and yellowtail of indifferent quality swamped in some sweetened sauce based on mayo and the colors of a box of Crayola with a sprinkling of the leftovers from someone’s order of tempura. Uni. Toro. Otoro. Chutoro. Hotate. Ebi. You don’t know what they have until you order.

Sake. Different bottles of sake. Served cold. Not the kind that sits in a cardboard box on top of the ferrari red heater that pours that noxious scented kerosene.

Daily specials. Every day they change. Which is what I always want daily specials to mean.

So go. On the other hand, when things reopen, don’t. JK. It was hard enough getting a table before. Even as a regular. But really, go. Every place that you love needs all the support and ordering it can get to survive. By the way, everyone can now order online.

2 Likes