2019 veggie gardens

Those look and sound great*! What’s the Scoville on those?

• They all do!

Where are you gardening @bogman? Your produce is beautiful! I’m in the PNW, zone 8b. I think we’ll have another harvest, but not for much longer. Sad.

Not a number, but maybe helpful.

https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?ProductCode=CHIATSI

I’m in central VA, near the Blue Ridge Mts. This year, unlike 2018’s rain-fest, has been sunny, humid and dry. Most vegetable plants do very well here. Although Shark-fin squash produced a huge, rambling vine with no flowers. It’s likely day length-sensitive.

Ausilio peppers heat ranges from almost none- if you remove all the septum, a.k.a. “veins”, to maybe 1/10 the heat level of a standard Jalapeño-if you leave in a bunch of septum. I imagine if cored, sliced and pickled, they’d be a more colorful, sweeter stand-in for Pepperoncini, just a little zippy. In salad, I remove a bit more septum; fried, more septum gets left in. Like Peruvian Aji Amarillo, one can adjust the heat level to your taste by adjusting septum level, although Aji can be insanely hot if consumed with the full core, lots of septum.

1 Like

Grilled green beans. So good. Hot, cold or room temp. Makes a great sandwich with just a bit of mayo.

2 Likes

Picked yesterday, will go into a tart for tomorrow. Almond shortbread crust, pastry cream, layer of almond cream, homemade rasp-blackberry jam, topped with the fresh berries. Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Do you have a dehydrator, or do you use another method for drying peppers? I have some drying in my oven right now on the proofing setting, which is working but taking a loooooooooong time.

For the most part I prick a few holes with a fondue fork, then put them on a rack in my back yard. Our weather is typically very hot and dry as the peppers ripen. This is the first time I’ve had quite this many peppers meant for drying. Some of the peppers I grow couldn’t be dried this way.

1 Like

Sungolds! So prolific, I just keep dehydrating them for winter.

5 Likes

It’s been a good year for my Anaheim peppers. 24 from one plant so far, and more on deck. This is the latest haul.

peppers

This is what became of them.

prep%20for%20casserole casserole

6 Likes

I finally pulled up my two pepper plants this weekend. It’s definitely cold enough that the remaining few baby peppers were not going to grow any more. Plus, stupid squirrels have been digging up my raised bed to bury their acorns. :angry: I was quite surprised at how many banana peppers I got out of two measly plants. Now, next year I just have to make sure the peppers are properly labelled and I’m growing the correct ones.

I did plant my garlic bulbs again. Giving it another try with a new planter, better soil, and hopefully better mulch so fingers crossed for a better crop in 2020.

1 Like

My two plants appear to be immortal. Also, it’s not that cold in Manhattan yet - hasn’t even dipped below 45, as far as I know. I’m waiting for the baklouti’s (on the right) to ripen. Only one of them feels like going in that direction so far, as you can see.

peppers

4 Likes

Anybody doing winter gardening?

I’ve still a few tomatoes that have fruits. Started a few crops: cabbages, spinach, lettuces… Need to buy some parsley seeds, the old ones expired.

1 Like

Yay! Fall/Winter season!

1 Like

I have never tried that. How many bulbs can you usually get with 1 plant?

What I like about winter gardening is there is practically not much work, not even the need to water as it rains frequently here.

1 Like

My peppers have slowed down but I still find a few ripe Sinahuisa (similar to serrano) and cayennes each day. I plan to pull the plants soon, though, because I want to use at least one of my pepper beds for garlic this year.

@naf, to answer your question, each clove of garlic you plant turns into one bulb. If you plant a hardneck variety, you get the added bonus of a scape out of each clove, which is actually my favorite part of growing garlic - the scapes are such a rare treat. My garlic did very poorly this year due to too-wet weather, so I’m crossing my fingers for better weather next spring.

1 Like

As @biondanonima mentioned, one clove yields one bulb, but as I’ve learned after many somewhat unsuccessful attempts at growing garlic, the bulbs grow bigger if you plant them in the fall. My early attempts were planting in the spring, and you get a bulb that’s the size of a small clove – baby garlic only.

Fresh garlic is amazing! I love the stuff and I buy from farmers markets when I can. They also yield yummy garlic scapes as they grow bigger, if you like garlic scapes.

1 Like

My summer garden’s still continuing due to the mild/warm weather. I’m growing some lettuce and spinach on the side, but I may skip doing a full cold season and let the summer crop ride it out till the end of the year before taking a break and starting spring next year.

I picked a bunch of bell peppers this week, roasted and made soup from them.

6 Likes

I am making Pepper Jelly 7.0. I really should take more notes.